Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[FINISHED] DM-Genku (Low poly competitive map)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] [FINISHED] DM-Genku (Low poly competitive map)

Hello all,

This weekend I decided to recreate GM-Genki from UT3 and give it the UT4 touch, with the new name of Genku.

As indicated: this map was specifically designed as a low-poly competitive map and I humbly submit it to you all for your enjoyment.

DOWNLOAD

*updated text below.

Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 03-15-2018, 08:44 AM.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

That's the umap, you want to upload the pak.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      That's the umap, you want to upload the pak.
      It was very late when I did that last night Link updated.
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

For those who don't know this map, it's a must for UT3 In fact the OP miss a bit of information...

Originally made by Andrew 'Mclogenog' Yoder for the UOF Low-Poly Map Pack.

I'm sure Mclogenog would be happy to know someone as ported his awesome map in UT4

I'll try asap!
        Stevie's corner Maps, DM-Akar A1, DM-Aryth R1, DM-Aly R1, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta Links, All UT4 CTF custom maps, All UT4 remakes, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

I'm not sure if it's just a problem i'm getting but all of the textures appear black :I

EDIT:

Turns out putting my fx settings on low makes everything black.
          Last edited by Flikswich; 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM.
          :|

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
            For those who don't know this map, it's a must for UT3 In fact the OP miss a bit of information...

Originally made by Andrew 'Mclogenog' Yoder for the UOF Low-Poly Map Pack.

I'm sure Mclogenog would be happy to know someone as ported his awesome map in UT4

I'll try asap!
            Oh, I put the info into the map description - so full credit given!
            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Thanks for the map. I uploaded to Seniors hub then removed. I use low textures, it came up as black so I removed from hub. Higher textures work I think.

Comment

Originally posted by the_ROCK View Post
                Thanks for the map. I uploaded to Seniors hub then removed. I use low textures, it came up as black so I removed from hub. Higher textures work I think.
                Hmm - need to look into this some more. Thanks for the feedback.
                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Looks fine to me on epic settings. Black usually means reflective materials on meshes with no reflection spheres or a bad default setting on editor made meshes... But this is straight BSP with no meshes. And I specifically remember thinking you nailed the reflections perfectly on the floor too.

I wonder... Does r.tonemapperfilm 1 make it light up with low settings?

Edit: Aha! I took a look at that umap. There are no reflectionspheres and there are only 2 light sources, a skylight and a single moveable directional light (sun). Not certain but I'm pretty sure dynamic (moveable and stationary) lights will light up reflective surfaces even if there are no reflectionspheres... But on low settings dynamic lights are turned off.

So if you add reflectionspheres it should light better on low settings. Probably should change that directional light from moveable to stationary too (unless it actually does move) since stationary is better for performance and performance is the whole point of low poly maps like this.

Edit 2: After thinking about it a bit more, IIRC moveable lights have no baked lighting at all so you probably NEED to make that sun stationary rather than moveable for the map to light properly (or maybe even at all) on low settings. Not absolutely, 100% certain about that (never actually tried it) but pretty sure it's right.
                  Last edited by MoxNix; 10-14-2015, 07:51 AM.

Comment

First release

Did a flyby before playing and I don't know what cause this but shadows are problematic? They look washed out from a distance of 10 feet and then when you get closer they become more define but still aren't quite as good as hey suppose to be?

I saw obvious texture misalignment's all over the place. It seriously need some attention.

I didn't had much time to play so for my first impression it need more work.

Keep it up
                    Stevie's corner Maps, DM-Akar A1, DM-Aryth R1, DM-Aly R1, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta Links, All UT4 CTF custom maps, All UT4 remakes, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                      Did a flyby before playing and I don't know what cause this but shadows are problematic? They look washed out from a distance of 10 feet and then when you get closer they become more define but still aren't quite as good as they suppose to be?

I saw obvious texture misalignment's all over the place.
                      I'll look into the first point, but the second point is a problem as the original textures were used and the map scaling and alignment is different from Unreal Tournament 3 as it is a converted map. All of the stairs are a key example of this as you can see there is meant to be an 'edge' at every step. I did think about how this could be fixed, like creating a new texture, but felt it would, in truth, be too much work to what amounted to a step.

When I am doing the other points I shall look into this again, but in essence you are asking me to manually realign textures that simply do not align 100% as the size of the brushes used originally differ when you convert them. Different scales were used, I believe 2.5x was the first and this felt too open. As I Alt-Tabbed between UTE3 and UTE4, using different scales, I found that 2x was too small and gave map glitches resulting in brush/blocking volume overhangs and finally decided on 2.1875x. This was converted using the most current version of UTE3 from Steam (UT3 Black Edition) giving me version #3809. If there is a better version, I don't have it, nor do I have a better workaround for the texture scaling/alignment issue other than manually adjusting each and every one of the 5,628 faces

I spent somewhere in the region of 3 days just rotating, panning, scaling and flipping surfaces - I stuck to the main POI's and believed I got the main culprits down and pat. As indicated in the original post, I'm sure I missed a few. Don't get me wrong, this is not a 'woe be me' but there just comes a point where you have to decide whether it makes any difference or not...

Originally posted by MoxNix

Looks fine to me on epic settings. Black usually means reflective materials on meshes with no reflection spheres or a bad default setting on editor made meshes... But this is straight BSP with no meshes. And I specifically remember thinking you nailed the reflections perfectly on the floor too.

I wonder... Does r.tonemapperfilm 1 make it light up with low settings?

Edit: Aha! I took a look at that umap. There are no reflectionspheres and there are only 2 light sources, a skylight and a single moveable directional light (sun). Not certain but I'm pretty sure dynamic (moveable and stationary) lights will light up reflective surfaces even if there are no reflectionspheres... But on low settings dynamic lights are turned off.

So if you add reflectionspheres it should light better on low settings. Probably should change that directional light from moveable to stationary too (unless it actually does move) since stationary is better for performance and performance is the whole point of low poly maps like this.

Edit 2: After thinking about it a bit more, IIRC moveable lights have no baked lighting at all so you probably NEED to make that sun stationary rather than moveable for the map to light properly (or maybe even at all) on low settings. Not absolutely, 100% certain about that (never actually tried it) but pretty sure it's right.

Yah, 'I kept it real' when doing the lighting. I think my thoughts were that one would run the map at Epic, and literally CTRL-A'd everything and set to 'moveable' - not believing anyone would run the level at anything lower than Epic, and just as a time-saver. doh!

I guess there will always come a point where you can't see where the line should be drawn for authenticity and practicality when replicating.

Changing now the shadow draw distance and lighting and reflection issues now.....early indications show the frame-rate to be above 120 @ Epic on my weedy GPU...
                      Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM.
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Your materials have metal surfaces thats why they are black.
                        Here is what whats happening from ue 4:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ph...shading-in-ue4

Material Inputs

The biggest change to materials is probably the introduction of the metalness input. In reality metals and non-metals are shaded very differently. While non-metals are mostly diffusely shaded with around 4% specular reflection, metals have no diffuse reflection and are 100% specular reflection. In UE4 this means that if you have metalness set to 0, your BaseColor input is used for diffuse shading color. If metalness is set to 1, BaseColor is used for specular reflection color and diffuse color is set to black.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                          Your materials have metal surfaces thats why they are black.
                          Here is what whats happening from ue 4:

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ph...shading-in-ue4

Material Inputs

The biggest change to materials is probably the introduction of the metalness input. In reality metals and non-metals are shaded very differently. While non-metals are mostly diffusely shaded with around 4% specular reflection, metals have no diffuse reflection and are 100% specular reflection. In UE4 this means that if you have metalness set to 0, your BaseColor input is used for diffuse shading color. If metalness is set to 1, BaseColor is used for specular reflection color and diffuse color is set to black.
                          I assure you that is not the issue. All materials are not using the metal input, defaulting it to Zero or null.
                          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Updated map - all tests check out just fine for shadows, reflections, and textures - enjoy.
                            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                              Updated map - all tests check out just fine for shadows, reflections, and textures - enjoy.
                              Then what was the problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X