Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[FINISHED] Dm-PSi-UT4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [PROTOTYPE] [FINISHED] Dm-PSi-UT4

    Buenos,

    So if all goes well I should be uploading a finished map later today/early tomorrow.

    This is a converted map from UT3 by the same designer as the recent Genki/Genku remake. This new map is designed for no more than 4 players, and is best played as a 1v1 DM or 2v2 TDM.

    The final touchups are really on lighting and a few texture alignments - working mainly inside UTE3 to get the look 'right'. Fingers crossed for later today, early tomorrow.

    *6th December 2016

    Finished!



    *Download Here*

    Any bugs, please let me know.

    Thank you and enjoy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 03-18-2018, 09:23 AM.
    Maps:

    DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

    DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

    #2
    Currently it's too dark. Or you want to make it in UT3 style?
    DM-Aerowalk| DM-StompingGrounds

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by FlamesoFF1 View Post
      Currently it's too dark. Or you want to make it in UT3 style?

      Agreed.

      The lighting is really what I'm working on at the moment and the original had/has a lot of spot lights. I'm keeping the styling UT3 for real - it's an homage, if you will; and is really keeping this map alive for the UT4 generation.
      Maps:

      DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

      DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

      Comment


        #4
        Final release download available
        Maps:

        DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

        DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

        Comment


          #5
          Some of your material scaling seems off, like the floor tile lines not lining up very well with edges (particularly noticeable on stairs). Have you tried using "scale relative" and incrementing by small amounts (5% or less) until everything lines up nicely?
          Last edited by MoxNix; 10-17-2015, 05:07 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
            Some of your material scaling seems off, like the floor tile lines not lining up very well with edges (particularly noticeable on stairs). Have you tried using "scale relative" and incrementing by small amounts (5% or less) until everything lines up nicely?
            Yes, the issue is the textures are a variety of resolutions and the materials were used for different scales - this means that in some instances that would work and in others in would not. In addition to this, the rotation/orientation of the materials is different for each edge trim usage on a four sided brush, with each face of the trim having a different orientation to the one next to it. This meant that for each simple brush, there would be independent scaling.

            I was dealing with scaling multiplies of 2.19678 U and 4.39356 V and then had to change this 22 times on each face.

            4 sides to a cube, 4 trims, 5 faces for the cube, 4 faces for the trims, 5 intersections per face - all with different scaling and orientation it's a lot of clicks to do per brush!.

            You could of course 'select all using material' and assign scaling options there, but it just doesn't help you when there is another monster of a problem when doing UT3>UT4 conversions and that is 'ordering', which this map in a crazy number and in nutty places, like the backside of subtrative brushes, that if you change the scaling of, alter something on the other side of a brush 5 points in the other direction. This really hard to keep track of as you alter a brush, then head out to do another series of flips, and you come back only to find the bit you did earlier has now been reset.

            It's a long answer of saying 'no'

            The original map is fine, but the conversion to UT4 is fraught with problems right now and I doubt there is going to be anything other than just time and trial and error to resolve.

            It's 1% of the time to do 99% of the work, and then 99% of the time to do that final 1%

            If you want to find the original UT3 map and attempt to import it to see if there is a better work flow then I am all ears to hears about it - for now, the map is as perfect as it needs to be.

            Oh, I forgot to mention, when you import the map into UTE4 - none of the materials are applied!!!
            Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 06-17-2016, 10:33 AM.
            Maps:

            DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

            DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

            Comment


              #7
              Actually it's precisely for conversions where relative scaling of materials is most useful. Most of the time you can use to very quickly and easily get a converted material to line up perfectly, exactly like in the original, especially if you used sensible brush scaling factors that line up reasonably well with the grid.

              Try it. Select all surfaces with a particular material scaled and aligned as it was when you first imported the t3d. Use scale relative set to 1.05 or something and apply that repeatedly until it looks right... If it gets too big just hit escape to back up a bit and use a smaller relative number if necessary.

              If the materials aren't applied on import then you're doing it wrong... Or at least that's the case for 99, 2k3 and 2k4 maps, can't say for sure about UT3 since I don't have it.

              You need to import all the textures into the right folder, save them, then make and save materials from the textures *before* importing the t3d. Very easy to do that since you can multi-select and do all of them at once with just a few clicks. If you don't do that, then when you import the t3d it won't find the materials so it'll set them all to the default checkboard grid editor material.
              Last edited by MoxNix; 10-17-2015, 06:09 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                Actually it's precisely for conversions where relative scaling of materials is most useful. Most of the time you can use to very quickly and easily get a converted material to line up perfectly, exactly like in the original, especially if you used sensible brush scaling factors that line up reasonably well with the grid.

                Try it. Select all surfaces with a particular material scaled and aligned as it was when you first imported the t3d. Use scale relative set to 1.05 or something and apply that repeatedly until it looks right... If it gets too big just hit escape to back up a bit and use a smaller relative number if necessary.

                If the materials aren't applied on import then you're doing it wrong... Or at least that's the case for 99, 2k3 and 2k4 maps, can't say for sure about UT3 since I don't have it.

                You need to import all the textures into the right folder, save them, then make and save materials from the textures *before* importing the t3d. Very easy to do that since you can multi-select and do all of them at once with just a few clicks. If you don't do that, then when you import the t3d it won't find the materials so it'll set them all to the default check board grid editor material.
                Just quoting here from the converter:-

                "
                • [UT3] Texture scaling is not correct
                • [UT2003, UT2004, UT3] Shaders not yet converted so many surfaces may not be textured
                • [UT2003, UT2004, UT3] Terrain not yet converted

                "
                If you want the converted file/folder that gets squirted out, I can do that for you and you can take a look because seriously, if you can find a faster solution for UT3 maps (once they have been converted) then I would love to hear about it and perhaps we can then get a decent set of maps from UT3 for people to play on and maybe, just maybe, get inspiration for creating their own maps...who knows?

                Just to back up a bit here - I had to recreate the terrain in the background that you see...as well.
                Maps:

                DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

                DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thank you for the update. This is playable ton Seniors Nirvana .sr [Dallas] hub.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                    Just quoting here from the converter:-

                    "
                    • [UT3] Texture scaling is not correct
                    • [UT2003, UT2004, UT3] Shaders not yet converted so many surfaces may not be textured
                    • [UT2003, UT2004, UT3] Terrain not yet converted

                    "
                    Hi!
                    Texture scaling has been fixed today (in next 0.8 version). To fix scaling with 0.7 converter, use a relative scaling of 0.78125 (=100/128) or 1.28 (dont remember order ..) from ut3 to ut4 maps.
                    Last edited by ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ; 10-19-2015, 01:48 AM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ooof. I see the word 'finished', but clearly just by looking at the screenshot it's not finished. Odd texture scaling and mis-alignments everywhere. Take some time out to finish it properly, rather than just rushing it out!

                      Then people might actually download it, play it, and keep it!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Locked & Loaded on the LoPing Arena server. BigUp for share'n this with the rest of us!
                        Just a few initial run remarks:
                        1. The water basin has no splash sound effects, and a slight glitch on the surface reflections of the water.
                        2. The music stays @ the same level (loud), even when music is set to off in user setttings.
                        Keep up the Good Works!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
                          Ooof. I see the word 'finished', but clearly just by looking at the screenshot it's not finished. Odd texture scaling and mis-alignments everywhere. Take some time out to finish it properly, rather than just rushing it out!

                          Then people might actually download it, play it, and keep it!
                          It took somewhere north of 29 hours to realign the textures using the convertor, partially to work out what the ratio's of the scaling of the texture coordinates are. It's not my place to pick apart the original level designer, as Andrew is clearly very talented, but the original map under UT3 editor has texture misalignments/misfits also:







                          In addition to this, I didn't create the UT3 convertor. In both instances I just got down to the business of converting it and produced something which works and is usable. I didn't shrug, I didn't complain, I just put a pot of coffee on and did what needed to be done, as I believed in this map and believe in keeping the spirit of some maps alive. If you personally feel this map could be better converted, there is nothing stopping you from trying - but be warned the original map is not perfect, neither is the conversion process. I have the materials you need ready if you want them - such as the waterfall(s) and sand (both bespoke), because you will need to recreate the landscape also, if you want to keep the authenticity.

                          Originally posted by XTXP
                          Hi!

                          Texture scaling has been fixed today (in next 0.8 version). To fix scaling with 0.7 converter, use a relative scaling of 0.78125 (=100/128) or 1.28 (dont remember order ..) from ut3 to ut4 maps.
                          Thank you, I will take a look at this in detail as it is/was an exhausting process to realign however many hundreds/thousands of brush faces/vertices when converting. If it works, then I wish I had this 3 weeks ago

                          Originally posted by DutchSmoke
                          Locked & Loaded on the LoPing Arena server. BigUp for share'n this with the rest of us!
                          Just a few initial run remarks:
                          1. The water basin has no splash sound effects, and a slight glitch on the surface reflections of the water.
                          2. The music stays @ the same level (loud), even when music is set to off in user setttings.
                          Keep up the Good Works!
                          1: Hmm, there are two sounds for impact with the water - one big and one small, just like in the UT3 copy. These appear (for some unknown reason) to only be firing when a weapon hits the water. Not sure what you mean by reflection bug, the render looks good to me - if you could SS the problem it would help me enormously.
                          2: Again, that is peculiar...it is loaded into the 'level music' section of the world tab and not as a sound dragged 'n' dropped onto the world as if it was an ambient sound with unbound attenuation. It is the original music from the UT3 copy.

                          Thank you for the support and feedback DS, much appreciated.

                          Just to summarise - I will work on these issues, but am not going to be interested in realigning the gargantuan quantity of textures, as these do NOT affect gameplay or game mechanics.

                          As for future maps that I may convert, these will (as all converted maps will) be subject to the source material, and the tools available at the time of conversion.
                          Attached Files
                          Maps:

                          DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

                          DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                            If you personally feel this map could be better converted, there is nothing stopping you from trying - but be warned the original map is not perfect, neither is the conversion process. I have the materials you need ready if you want them - such as the waterfall(s) and sand (both bespoke), because you will need to recreate the landscape also, if you want to keep the authenticity.
                            Sorry matey, didn't mean to offend - reading back my comment it does sound a bit harsh. I fully appreciate the skill & effort required to get a decent map out there, and I don't have the time to dedicate to such a process (and am probably short of the skills too )

                            Maybe XTXP's tool fix/advice will make the next conversion easier.

                            Keep the maps alive!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              As requested:



                              The above pictures are on medium/low settings. This problem ceased when I placed ingame settings on High/Epic but somehow it introduced a new water texture? Shown in the picture below.



                              The music doesn't react to the ingame music slider and have a few more custom maps that suffer from the exact same issue.
                              So far it's the most notable issue considering that All the feedback from players I've recieved so far has been negative.
                              If you would like to run over these issues on a server, feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to set it up.
                              Still good works you've put up so far and hope this helps.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X