Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Zenith

Updated 8/19/2016

Flikswich ran around the level with me and we did some tweaking to both the teleporters, pickups, and increased line of sight by removing several pillars. The level should play better!
    I also reduced the file size from 200mb to 80mb so it loads faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zen1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	363092

Name:	zen2.jpg
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	363089

Name:	zen3.jpg
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	363090

Name:	zen4.jpg
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	363091

MD5 = B76E37AA57D405E941501DC85597913F

Download Here
    https://multiplayerforums.com/files/...291-dm-zenith/
    Last edited by Numb.51; 08-19-2016, 10:00 AM.

Very fun layout!

The paths converge and flow nicely into each other and I didn't feel like there was much dead space. The slide gaps were a little tricky to pull off, and I can imagine myself getting caught or missing the timing in a frantic situation.

I don't have any feedback on the competitive or balance side of things since I haven't played it online, but there certainly is a solid foundation there.

Moving forward, try and nail down some of the more generic hallways with more unique surrounding architecture. The curved double-decker vest room is the most memorable, but most of the other areas feel like they are general collections of basic platforms and ramps.

Looking forward to more.
    DM-Kosko (A04) | DM-Backspace (Released!) | DM-Veracity (A01)| DM-Smog (A01) | DM-Conflux (A02)

Comment

Thanks a lot slain! It means a lot coming from you. A lot of my levels are actually based off of your mapping style. I personally think they make for better competitive maps but they are nearly impossible (least for me) to decorate due to unorthodox architecture that's not seen in the real world.

I saved the hardest parts for last which is why there are some barren hallways and uninteresting architecture. I've just had complete and utter brain block on those areas and it might take me a while to figure out what to do with them. It's going to be hard to make them look interesting without slowing the gameplay down.

I guess my approach for this map is to make a holp style shell that looks pretty good while I make some custom meshes if I think it will be worthy of meshing.

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
        Thanks a lot slain! It means a lot coming from you. A lot of my levels are actually based off of your mapping style. I personally think they make for better competitive maps but they are nearly impossible (least for me) to decorate due to unorthodox architecture that's not seen in the real world.

I saved the hardest parts for last which is why there are some barren hallways and uninteresting architecture. I've just had complete and utter brain block on those areas and it might take me a while to figure out what to do with them. It's going to be hard to make them look interesting without slowing the gameplay down.

I guess my approach for this map is to make a holp style shell that looks pretty good while I make some custom meshes if I think it will be worthy of meshing.
        If I may get a bit abstract for a moment...

I think there are easy ways to make unorthodox architecture still feel real and believable. It's mostly about where to put supporting visual weight around it and imagining how physical materials would be used. Does a solid iron and concrete floating platform with an odd shape make sense? For gameplay, sure. Realistically, nope.

Now think about how that might actually exist in real life. It would be supported by a heavier base, the wall or platform would be thicker (containing unseen reinforcement beams), or maybe the architect would build it out of lighter materials that are more easily molded into said shape.

It looks like you're already thinking about some of these kind of things in the BSP phase, which is promising. Just need to be a little more heavy handed where it isn't right now.

That said. Weird **** happens in real life too. I saw this on Reddit earlier today which I thought was really cool: http://imgur.com/RHBJySE
        DM-Kosko (A04) | DM-Backspace (Released!) | DM-Veracity (A01)| DM-Smog (A01) | DM-Conflux (A02)

Comment

Uploaded to Seniors Nirvana .sr [Dallas] hub. I will say I appreciate the balanced use of vertical space, horizontal space. I saw Scinbed gave his perspective and I'll give mine too in case it's helpful. If it's not helpful to you, toss it . Don't forget your audience that is going to be enjoying these maps. What do they want? What are their interests? You may feel a certain way about meshes, the look etc.. but remember who is enjoying the maps. Do they care about that stuff, do they not? Or are you just creating cool looking stuff for your portfolio etc (also cool and understandable).. I'm not pushing my perspective on any of these points. Just pointing out questions you might consider that may refine your subsequent approach etc.. Enjoy! And to be clear, I enjoy your maps and I'm sure others do too. I also enjoy Scinbed's Kosko and Backspace

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions slain!

Thanks rock! Haha I don't intend to pursue a level design career. I just make maps for fun when I get burnt out on playing and vice versa so no portfolio here!

As for visuals, I am a hardcore competitive player so visuals and performance come first. If it looks good but has poor performance then I'd scrap it. I would probably set my intended visual bar at slainchilds current backspace though. He has a pretty good balance going on between visuals and gameplay

Comment

Looks & plays really good Numb.51.
              Any chance that we can get our hands on your version of DM-Linadri soon??? Really waiting for this one! An all time favorite of me and what i saw from the pics you posted this will be quite cool. I'm happy to exensively playtest Liandri and provide feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                Looks & plays really good Numb.51.
                Any chance that we can get our hands on your version of DM-Linadri soon??? Really waiting for this one! An all time favorite of me and what i saw from the pics you posted this will be quite cool. I'm happy to exensively playtest Liandri and provide feedback.
                Haha yeah I'm working on it! I won a PC from epic via raffle and it's a lot stronger than my old one, so I've started to work on it again this week. I might make a forum preview in the next week or so, but its still a long way from being at a playable state to me. The shield belt room and the flak room are unplayable but the core is playable!

Comment

Great work Numb, map looks and plays really great. Hopefully see a lot more from you in the future!

Comment

Thank you for this map! It's now available to play on the Forbidden Paradise HUB.
                    http://forbiddenparadise.us/forums/i...th-UT4-HUB.png
                    forbiddenparadise.us

Comment

Hi Numb, I really like this one. Seems like a real tight competitive map. Really the only thing I thought of while playing was that a lot of the inner (well, away from the window wall) areas were lit the same so it was a bit difficult navigating the first few times. I'm looking forward to seeing this one more often!
                      DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                        Hi Numb, I really like this one. Seems like a real tight competitive map. Really the only thing I thought of while playing was that a lot of the inner (well, away from the window wall) areas were lit the same so it was a bit difficult navigating the first few times. I'm looking forward to seeing this one more often!
                        Thanks for the feedback tidu! I do plan on making every area look unique to one another so its easier to learn. I think this map is going to be mesh worthy though, so I don't know how much longer the bsp shell is going to be updated.

Comment

Hey! I've just played a quick Duel botmatch in your level!

While it shows potential to become a pretty good Duel map, so far it is way less complex than DM-Solo. Many community mappers try to interconnect lots of hallways and walkways of the same width when they attempt to make a Duel map but, if you look closer to Lea and Solo, those levels actually manage to create lots of spaces of different heights and shapes while keeping the map scale tight. I think your layout could have some improvements regarding that. The 100 armor room is definitely a step in the right direction: it is a space of a different scale than most of the other ramps there, and I kinda wish there was a wider space like that one somewhere by the Shock zone. While it is definitely not bad to have lots of hallways and walkways, spaces of a higher scale can help inmensely to learning and orientation.

- More specifically, my least favourite part of the layout was the tiny room with a jumpad and 2 healths. I'm not sure about what you could do there, but the tiny platform where the healths are placed looks pretty awful to me...
                          - Regarding the 100 armor room, I think it is usually better to place weapons in the areas of the map that involve the most traffic (such as the current armor spot), leaving the powerups for tricky specific spots. The Helmet and Pads look pretty good to me, but I would move the 100 armor elsewhere. Swapping the RocketLauncher and the 100 armor could be worth trying. Just make sure to place the RL in the most exposed spot of the room, and the 100 armor closer to the ledge for easier comboing.
                          - Not sure if it's easy to implement or not, but I feel that I should be able to liftjump (or liftjump + walltricks) from the 100 armor room's lift to the Amp.
                          - I didn't pay close attention to the item placement but you may want to try leaving just one 2-healthpack spot in the whole map, and spreading more single healths instead of the second 2-healthpack spot.

And I think that's all I can come up with... Good luck!
                          Last edited by TheGlecter; 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM.
                          DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                          My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                          My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

I like the layout and current aesthetic, but haven't really had time to play test so I can't comment on gameplay or item placement. One thing to mention from running around is that some of the lights are much too bright and don't blend naturally (they create solid patches of white or yellow on floor and walls) ... this is pretty visible in the upper right of the last screenshot of your post.

Comment

Can you recook for 4.11, wanna test it :P
                              :|

Comment

Working...
                              X