• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-AsteroidDrill

CTF - Asteroid Drill
    Previously: Asteroid Mining Facility

Description:
    This astoroid mining platform is currently stationed to mine asteriods in the belt of the planet EA-P9605. Valuable resources are collected for the Liandri Mining Corporation and serves as a battleground to maximialize profit gained from this station.
    The map features very low gravity (0.25 gravity) outside and normal gravity inside the bases. There is a trap in the middle of the map (at the Udamage) which has been made in Blueprint. Shoot the button and try to trap & kill someone inside. There are also team based doors, which only open for a certain team.

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Download .pak:
    Download the latest CTF-AsteroidDrill from UTCC!
    or from an alternative mirror

Save it in "YourUserName"\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\DownloadedPaks and it should show up in Unreal Tournament.

For server admins:
    /Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-AsteroidDrill_v12
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-AsteroidDrill_v12-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageURLProtocol="http",PackageURL="yourredirect/CTF-AsteroidDrill_v12-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="ca6e9ebedba442308c4b0c4c92933005")

Versions:
    V12
    - Recooked for new version
    - Added linupactors

V11:
    - Recooked for new build
    - Changed some materials

V10:
    - Recooked for new build
    - Meshed out some more parts/material tweaks
    - Changed the "legs" to nicer looking meshes

Old Changelogs:

Spoiler
    Last edited by Metalfist; 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM.
    -Fn>Metalfist
    ---------------------
    CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | DeviantArt | Zunnie's Mug

Updated with WIP3. See first post for pictures.

- Completely remade the midfield so it is smaller and more action based.
    - Set gravity from 0.15 to 0.25
    - Adjusted jumps to new gravity
    - Placed weaker weapons inside the base and more powerful outside the base
    - Removed unnecessary meshes

TODO:
    - Make jumps more easy to make.
    - Close off the jumpboot area to prevent camping.
    - Fix some dead ends/flow
    - Adjust the flag position - lift - floating box
    - Adjust center trap/drill to make more sense structurally (I'm going to try to make a sort of "Rock rain" that purges the debris from the drill when activated and anyone caught in it will be crushed by rocks)
    - Fix some line of sight issues
    - Lighting
    Last edited by Metalfist; 11-20-2015, 05:23 PM.
    -Fn>Metalfist
    ---------------------
    CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | DeviantArt | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Hi Metalfist,

played 2 matches (unfortunaltely only against bots):
      - like the setting. Nice idea and could look geeat with solar panels & space setting
      - interresting option with the switchable center shield lock tower where te U-damage s located
      - but v3 is far more dark inside, especially in the blue base than v2. So maybe ad some static lights in the rooms

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
        Hi Metalfist,

played 2 matches (unfortunaltely only against bots):
        - like the setting. Nice idea and could look geeat with solar panels & space setting
        - interresting option with the switchable center shield lock tower where te U-damage s located
        - but v3 is far more dark inside, especially in the blue base than v2. So maybe ad some static lights in the rooms
        Hey thanks for giving it a try and your reply !
        I will try to find a place for the solar panels which is a bit more visible to the players (and logical).
        I still need to do some proper lighting as these are just temporary lighting. So don't worry, that will be fixed.
        -Fn>Metalfist
        ---------------------

Comment

Updated the map to WIP 4!

Changelog:
          - Removed snaggy meshes
          - Improved trap: Boulders come down out of the iris doors
          - Connected more paths together.
          - Made drill more logical.
          - Made jumps more forgiving.
          - Moved flag.
          - Added extra jumppad for the flag jump.
          - Altered the "liftjump-upperlamps"-route to guide the player more.
          - Added extra geometry in the midfield like geometry to block line of sight for snipers, extra cover for mid and more flow in general.
          - Forcefields are not blocking bullets now.
          - Closed off old jumpboot area.
          - Added teleporters for extra way up the roof.
          - Fixed teamdoor.
          - Added PostProcessingVolume to brighten the map a little more.
          - Improved lighting.
          - There is a bot navmesh for this map.
          Last edited by Metalfist; 02-12-2017, 10:09 AM.
          -Fn>Metalfist
          ---------------------

Comment

Looking good so far. I really like your use of wall jumps to reach higher spots and the BSP work looks really clean and well done. My only suggestion by just watching your video is to make it more obvious as when and where to wall run/jump. While those moves are really fun for experienced players to do and figure out, new players have a hard enough time with just using wall running. Requiring wall run to get around ssoo much in the map without pointing out the obvious is going to make the map frustrating and discouraging for new players when the vets are running all over the walls grabbing all the sweet power ups that they cant get.

Keep up the good work, also the trap is pretty kewl.
            PayBack
            Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
            Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
            UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
            UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

I really like the theme and the player interaction with the level. It feels UT and with proper meshes can look real nice.

Keep up!
              RASTE IN PEACE !
              Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
              Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!
                Of course it is not required to wallrun / walldodge on the map. Most things should be reachable by walking and jumping.
                For pickups I try to keep them on the ground so players have a reason to come down and to prevent all the wallrunning/dodging players from claiming all the pickups.
                Also I try to have the less dangerous weapons inside the base and the more dangerous outside the base so players have a reason to go outside of the base.

Fixed a little issue with some player starts near the teleporters and change the preview screenshot texture to UI.
                Uploaded WIP4-1.

Changelog:
                - Fixed some BSP (somehow it sometimes misaligns with 1 grid difference while I'm working on a 50 grid. Any ideas?)
                - Fixed an issue with a player start
                - Added LMC sticker
                - Set the preview screenshot to UI

Edit:
                Found some replication issues during testing these will be solved in WIP4-2.
                Last edited by Metalfist; 12-10-2015, 03:17 PM.
                -Fn>Metalfist
                ---------------------

Comment

New version released: WIP5!
                  Check first post for download link!

Things that changed in WIP5:
                  - Improved trap (fixed some minor issue, reworked the area, new sequence, added alarm lights and a giant laser (that makes everything better right ? ).
                  - Added more ambiance to make the level more alive (fans, pipes, boiler, sounds, particle effects).
                  - Reworked some geometry (replace meshes with BSP) and made the glass of the bases from BSP (semi-solid)
                  - Added little plateaus to indicate where you can wall run outside.
                  - Changed pickup locations. Flak cannon is now inside.
                  - More health in the middle.
                  - Added more stickers.
                  - The blue teamdoor has a blue lock.
                  - Added more asteroids/moon in space. Sun is placed closer now.

I would like to know what you guys think about it !
                  Last edited by Metalfist; 01-04-2016, 02:12 PM.
                  -Fn>Metalfist
                  ---------------------

Comment

Wow, awesome work. If you are open to suggestions/criticism, let me know!

Comment

Hello. Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

So I know the map is yet to be fleshed out, but from what I can see from the video (I know the video is old, but in truth I don't have UT installed, and gameplay testing is not really my thing) The map is just BEGGING for some epic meshwork, and would fit REALLY well with Outpost assets. The other thing this map needs is some serious setting. By 'Setting' I mean a visual set of queues to help the player feel 'grounded' in their location. The planet in the skybox and the directional light are AWESOME starts to this, but a bit of colour contrast in the skybox and some 'landmark' assets would help solidify the feeling of place. With proper grounding, the player should never feel lost.

Some things I would want to see is the map to feel like one big device. You have the massive drill(?) in the centre, and that is good, run with that. Have the rest of the map be filled with supplementary machinery that keep that drill operating: massive power conduits, huge chunks of asteroid being conveyed into the distance, large cooling pipes pumping cool water in and hot water out (would be a REALLY good way to logically label reb/blue zones), you get the idea.

I dug up some google images to help convey exactly what I see this map becoming.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

With a colourful, awe-inspiring skybox and clever use of big setpeices related to the 'asteroid mine' theme, you could REALLY make this map awesome.

Comment

Thanks for your ideas! Yes, as you said I'm tweaking the gameplay right now, but this is also good stuff to think about when dressing up the level with assets!
                        I added some updated screenshots of WIP5 and I'm going to make a new video that showcases the level a bit more.

Here are some other references that I was using as well:
                        [screenshot]http://i.space.com/images/i/000/025/338/original/deep-space-industries-archimedes-concept-3.jpg?1358879339[/screenshot]
                        [screenshot]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zOs8kUvs4LM/maxresdefault.jpg[/screenshot]
                        [screenshot]http://www.bryanversteeg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/mining-processor-BV-13-09-03.jpg[/screenshot]
                        -Fn>Metalfist
                        ---------------------

Comment

Hopped around a bit in it, makes me think of Quake/Xonotic in terms of layout and build up, especially the mid-field

Pretty cool map, looking forward to future developments, especially the meshing.

That being said, if you need a custom space themed track for the map, I'd be happy to make one, or you could pick my track Astra perhaps (which was intended for somebody's space map, but that map didn't get finished) if you like it.
                          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Thanks !
                            I've been working on creating a flythrough of the level with matinee!
                            So here it is, enjoy!:

The export movie button in matinee crashes the editor so I had to be creative with finding a workaround to record it.
                            -Fn>Metalfist
                            ---------------------

Comment

Hiya!

Map plays really well with a grapple. If you're interested in seeing how well, I'd be happy to let you alpha/beta test Chaos with us.

I love big maps, which allow room for things like big turrets, vortexes, and grapples and whatnot, but even so - this map is big! The rooms/spaces are huge. My biggest suggestion so far would be to scale it down a bit, while still keeping it large.

Keep smilin'

Comment

Working...
                              X