DM-Anturium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Anturium

I am super excited to present you my first UT 4 level - Anturium! I am new to the forum and the game so forgiver me my mistakes if I make them. I am looking forward for the feedback about gameplay, visuals, scale, item placement and the usual stuff. Not all models and textures were made by me but most of them (some are form Liandri meshes folder) so I hope the map doesn't violate any licence rights (APPARENTLY IT DOESN'T!). It took a lot of time to get UT 4 editor to work well however it still crashes frequently I hope you will like it:
    It has plenty of room in it (maybe even too much?) and also it is strongly vertical (jumppads, strange turbine that launches you up with odd water sound (FIXED NOW!) and lifts which I find absolutely amazing mean of transportation: You can use them in a 'normal' way or press jump at the end of the move to reach higher floors! )

PAK NAME:
    DM-Anturium_v06-WindowsNoEditor.pak

FILE PATH:
    UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps\DM-Anturium_v07.umap

Download link:v7 - no trextures
    drive.google.com/open?id=1whjjhAlrnvy6cYZIAsvkq5PZtGUbgK_J

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA (https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Great thanks to Archer, amazing musician and friend, who pointed out many flows at the very first play-test. AND his music is a soundtrack of this map! Thanks to him the FPS is good enough... Thanks to Vlad, Tidu, DutchSmoke and everyone else who posted their feedback.

And the video made by musician himself:

ChangeLog:
    6 versions released. For details see the thread

EDIT: Post updated. Sorry for not following the rules the first time. Tell me if I missed something.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-01-2018, 04:06 AM.
    For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

my god its beautiful, i can't wait to try this out man!

Comment

Outstanding map, especially the psychology and intended mechanics! I've been wanting to play a more "vertical" for a loooong time now. This and the screenshots caught my attention. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a hurry so I apologize for not posting screenshots and writing only the negative feedback. I wish to point out what should me improved, not what's already working great (in my opinion).

- Might be a bit of a stretch, but I totally hate being able to see the "invisible" side of 1-sided meshes (in any map, not just yours). The "walls" behind the 100A could use a couple more blocking volumes to prevent this. Same for the big hole in the ground, I think.
      - I think you forgot to add collision to a few meshes here and there. For example, the tallest "tower" on the map, between the Rocket Launcher and the Stinger or the horizontal girders above the same area.
      - In the ShieldBelt area, you can literally see the entire bottom of the map if you fall out of it. I'd personally like it if there was some sort of wall going downwards to prevent that sight.
      - There's a box right below the Shock Rifle which, to me, doesn't really seem to be in the right place. I literally don't understand what is it doing there.
      - The Link Ammo above the Link Gun looks a bit weird. The mesh it's standing on makes it look more important than it should. It's also only 1. Maybe place 3 Ammos in a circular fashion, making use of the wide "border" of the mesh...?
      - I think there should be more Shock Ammo near the Shock Rifle.
      - Same no-collision issue with the tower above the Redeemer.
      - I think the mesh that the Keg is standing on should be on top of the ground, not embedded into it.
      - The "net" texture next to the Helmet looks a bit cheesy.
      - A few borders here and there don't align well with each other and with the platform's they are "encasing". For example, the semi-circular one above the Keg, which "leads" to the Keg.
      - A few stairs don't align neatly as well.
      - The vials next to the Rocket Launcher don't align with the wall.
      - No-collision on the base of the pipe above the said cheesy texture.
      - The meshes next to the lift near the Helmet have some open space between them, allowing you to see "below" the map.
      - Some "dirt" or "ground" above the semi-circular platform near the Shield Belt, right at the bottom of the slope.
      - The Sniper's "platform" ends in a very ugly way.
      - The tower above the hole in the ground has a blocking volume. I think we should be able to fall through it, as it looks reachable with rocket jumps, for example.
      - No-collision on a few meshes near the above-mentioned tower.

I have to mention that I haven't actually played with bots or other players, only flew by. So I might get a few things wrong or I might add some more once I play it for real.

Overall, I think the strongest point is your vision. Such a complex, yet non-linear/non-flat map is very hard to pull off, I'd say. And I think you totally nailed that.

I think the weakest points are:
      - The pickup placement. They weapons and ammo seem pretty rare and not very well thought of.
      - The details.I understand that this is a WIP, but I cannot stress enough how important the details are, for marketing purposes. I'm only going to mention one business model who focused on nailing the details: Apple. They CAN be your downfall, because if you don't take care of them, nobody else will. Players will notice something wrong with the map even if they can't put their finger on it. In the end, the user doesn't give a single **** how you're doing things, but only what they look like (excluding game play, of course). When you fall out of the map, being able to see a huge chunk of its bottom with one-sided meshes will give a feeling of "incompleteness" and you don't want that at all.

Once more, great layout, incredible vision, overall outstanding work! I'm eager to see your next iteration!

EDIT: Why not add a [PROTOTYPE] tag to the thread? A lot of people nowadays add tags for nothing, while you actually have something.
      Last edited by vlad.serbanescu11; 11-10-2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

REALLY interesting looking map. Will try to check it out this week.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Glad you posted Justin!

I really love the movement possibilities in the map, item placement could be better as I told you earlier haha, but that's something that will come along over time.

If I have time I'll make you a cool track for this, hopefully I can start something this weekend

I would also add the prototype tag to the thread's title so it stands out more, feedback is super useful at this point. If you can get the bots working people can give even more indepth feedback about the gameplay, I think you need to build the navmesh for the bots to work or something but I haven't really tried making maps yet in the editor so I'm not sure.
          Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Prodigy613: Thank you so much. I am glad to hear that!
            Thanks
            Archer and M^uL! I am looking forward for your feedback. That would be epic if Archer could manage to create the soundtrack for the map some time...

vlad.serbanescu11: Your feedback is crucial. And thanks for kind words and the critical review! Even without screenshots its very helpful. Collision and item placement things you mentioned should be easy to fix. The net texture I added a minute before release so it wasn't much of a deep thinking behind it. I might end up removing it and adding a pit where careless players might FALL IN. Sniping platform is a thing I will be improving ASAP. Currently it's just a rough draft (same with few other spots on the map). There will be problem with those "other sides" of the meshes... Where I came from I used to make models as low poly as possible, so everything which wasn't visable for a player would be erased. Adding those elements to most of the models might be tricky but I will take time to do it for certain spots (like belt area, beneath)
            "
            Some "dirt" or "ground" above the semi-circular platform near the Shield Belt, right at the bottom of the slope" I am not sure what do you mean by that... I am attaching top down layout, you could possibly place a red dot in a place you were talking about.

Map is for the community so everyone's feedback will have tremendous impact on how the map plays and looks! Thank you so far for positive and constructive reactions. I really appreciate this!
            Attached Files

Comment

that looks lovely, excited to see this progress
              PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                Glad you posted Justin!

I really love the movement possibilities in the map, item placement could be better as I told you earlier haha, but that's something that will come along over time.

If you can get the bots working people can give even more indepth feedback about the gameplay, I think you need to build the navmesh for the bots to work or something but I haven't really tried making maps yet in the editor so I'm not sure.
                +1 to the movement possibilities. I was also going to point out that the bots are not working.

By far, one of the most complex map I've seen so far. Obviously, there are, at the moment, a lot of jumps/dodges which will end with "near misses" and if those are corrected, this would be even cooler.

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
                Some "dirt" or "ground" above the semi-circular platform near the Shield Belt, right at the bottom of the slope
                I am not sure what do you mean by that... I am attaching top down layout, you could possibly place a red dot in a place you were talking about.

I hope you don't mind I found it easier to make a screen:

ARCHITECTURE: Since we're talking about ground and dirt, I'd like to express my "feeling" that this map should look like the entire human architecture was built in the rocks. Right now, it looks as if the rocks grew on top the map, which doesn't make sense. To quote a character from a movie: "I can't have fun at an Aztec-themed party with Niagara Falls in the background" (more or less). In the picture below, the gate looks encased in stone, whereas I think it would look a lot better if it were carved into it.

Note: I realize you're probably using meshes for the rocks and if you decide to pursue the "carving" direction, it would probably mean a significant amount of work to do. But if I may make another suggestion: you could remove/cut some large portions of the bigger meshes and just fill in the gaps between the new rocks and the human assets with small, ugly, temporary rocks. That's just so you won't have to worry about the tolerances (e.g. whether the gate would fit perfectly or not). After all, in this stage, you're exposing a concept and a WIP, not a finished product so there's no need for very thought-out rocks, I'd say.

STAIRS: There are a few stairs here and there which, from a visual perspective, I couldn't care less if they were stairs or slopes, but in their current form, the steps feel way too high. I'd either reduce the height of the steps or just replace them with a slope (even if temporarily).

LEDGES: I can't put in words how much I love being able to "chill" or get stuck on certain ledges such as these. I think you should find a way to add some more here and there, especially on the upper levels of the map. They would add a lot more to the already almost limitless movement possibilities, as Archer pointed out.

Overall, ****, man, I know I've said how awesome I think this map could be, but the more I explore it, the more I want to see its next versions. I've been playing since UT2003 and you have no idea how much potential I think this map has.

Comment

A possible solution I'd like to suggest for the 1-sided meshes (if you're going to decide to pursue that direction): a force field which would kill players on hit.

You could also have 2-3 scoreboards near the upper margin of the force field or hanging on it. They could be created via blueprints to display: Most Kills, Most Deaths, Most Damage, BottomFeeder, LeastAccurate etc. or save some stats and display them like TimEh's Speed scoreboards. I think this could add a really nice and unique touch and feel to the map. In UT2004, DM-Morpheus had some very simple scoreboards inside its towers:

Here's a quick concept layout I made to avoid uploading a pencil sketch (even though I'm not ashamed of my sketching abilities):

I think Barsam2a nailed a pretty slick and elegant force field in his DM-Cetana map (here's the thread).

And here's the video he posted to showcase his work:

Another map which had a pretty subtle force field was DM-DeserIsle from UT2004. Check minute 1:10+. It's not the best video (the shield itself isn't visible, but the generators on the side and above the map are).

A screenshot of DM-DesertIsle's shield (notice the generator in the mid-left section of the picture):

P.S. Please accept my apologies if you're familiar with the ideas and concepts I've posted above, but there might be people here who wouldn't have a clue as to what I'm talking about.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This map looks beautiful, will download the pak and give it a try later
                    http://www.twitch.tv/ut4_dylan

UT4 Fragmovie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8f1fFA5pk

Comment

Dylancccc,shdw: Thanks for kind words!
                      I am working on the map (did some architecture and tweaks) I will post a screenshot

Vlad.Serbanescu11: (May I call you vlad?): I was tired after university, didn't even mean to even look at the map that day and then I read your post and it gave me extra power! I totally agree that rock currently looks like it grows on the meshes! Thanks for the advice about the detaching rock pieces (I had no idea - I used to import part of the map to Mudbox and sculpt rock so it would match it approximately). When it comes to stairs: I am surprised you find them too high ( I will try to crate slope but I am not sure if I could make such thing in 3DsMax - I am still learning). I am thankful for your advice about the zone but I fear it would not match the map's theme and idea I have in my mind... Don't worry: The map at the end should look good from every angle (hopefully) and I like when players might fall off the map (seems like a fun!)

Ps. I had no idea about those concepts, Vlad.Serbanescu11... I was thinking about using thick fog. In some holes I could add glass to prevent players from falling. Thanks for taking time and posting all those examples and even making your own. Lesson learned.
                      Last edited by ConradJustin; 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I have made curved staircase and 2 meshes. I am now thinking about the bottom parts as well...
                        Attached Files

Comment

When it comes to stairs: I am surprised you find them too high ( I will try to crate slope but I am not sure if I could make such thing in 3DsMax - I am still learning). I am thankful for your advice about the zone but I fear it would not match the map's theme and idea I have in my mind... Don't worry: The map at the end should look good from every angle (hopefully) and I like when players might fall off the map (seems like a fun!)
                          Sure, call me Vlad, I made a mistake and got stuck with this username.

The stairs should feel smooth, in my opinion. Right now, it feels as if I'm tripping on each steps (not sure if it's the most accurate description). I'm not sure, but I think you can find some slopes if you search by "Liandri" in the RestrictedAssets folder.

To my knowledge, you can use anything you find in the editor, as long as it's for an UT project so you don't have to worry about copy-right. I find it very easy to imagine some of DM-Outpost23's assets working really well with the theme you seem to be going for.

I think falling through the map's holes or off the map is pretty cool. Transparent floors, like you said, could also prove to be very cool, in my opinion. I'm sure whatever it is you have in mind is something great. I hope you'll get the time and knowledge to give it details and polishes marketplace-worthy!

I was just trying to imagine how some arena-like features like scoreboards might fit in. In my opinion, the arena "feeling" and themes are what make this game truly stand out and I've seen them slowly disappearing over time. Bringing new ones and enhancing the already used ones (e.g. DM-Morpheus scoreboards) could be, in my opinion, 2 of the catchiest things about this new UT, but ultimately, it's obviously your choice! I just hope once you might reconsider and make a copy to experiment with such ideas at some point!

I have made curved staircase and 2 meshes. I am now thinking about the bottom parts as well...
                          1. I don't mean to sound overly-critique, but my first thought about that staircase to the Sniper was that it simplifies game play instead of enhancing it. I was imagining a cleaner ledge (probably a bigger ledge or something) to keep the platform look and feel; maybe something unreachable from downhill.

2. Why not just copy-paste some rocks to fill out the bottom? I don't think that's something to waste time on, just something that could use a quick and dirty cover-up.

Comment

Originally posted by vlad.serbanescu11 View Post
                            Sure, call me Vlad
                            Ok. Thanks for the feedback, Vlad!

So Here comes next version:
                            • Map was scaled down some
                            • Curved stairs and I even tried to make a slope. Try it out and tell me what you think now...
                            • Metal frames in the rock
                            • Lots of small fixes to rocks
                            • BOT support added
                            • The outside parts of the map were taken care of. Now the as you fall you can see architecture of this scientific base on the mountain.
                            • Some rails and decal materials...
                            • Some platforms are now easier to access so you won't bump into annoying edges.
                            • Item placement was changed.
                            • Sniper platform changes

Did you know "Anturium" is a flower?

Here is improved snipers spot...

P.S. This by no means is finished map but I hope we can get there by the next one or two updates... If you find something that looks drafty feel free to point that out though! Help always is welcomed.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ConradJustin; 11-24-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Hey, this map is great! I remember seeing this in the work in progress thread a while back. I love seeing any kind of custom mesh work. A couple nitpicky things that came to mind when I played a match:
                              • The anti-grav physics were a bit weird. Looks like you used a watervolume since it makes that sound when you enter... it feels weird because you drop like a brick once you leave the volume. I would look into what was used in DM-Vortex because you get a nice arc when you pop out the top of the volume.
                              • There is a smaller hole in the ground that has the same particle effects, but does not have the anti-grav and you just die when you jump into it. It's a little confusing. I noticed the small DANGER decal once the killcam showed up haha. The player will learn after the first time but it's kind of a cheap shot. Maybe invert the particles so it looks like it's sucking downwards?
                              • The top of the steps near the mini have a weird collision issue, it's hard to explain. Try walking up the steps hugging the left edge, near the top you jump like 3-4 steps in an instant.
                              • I feel like this wall should encourage a walldodge (directly below the large vent, between the upper two platforms):

• This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                              • I was able to do it but it's a bit tricky.
                              • Performance wasn't that great but that can be addressed later

Great job!
                              DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Working...
                              X