DM-SpaceNoxx [WIP][Updated: 11-13-16]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UTSkaarj View Post
    Woah man sick map. A lil Phobos reference from UT99 and of course a nice remake/ or whatever you call it forone of my favorite map from UT99 DM-SpaceNoxx, i was waiting for someone to tackle this! Will give it play and report with feedback. Thanks for your contribution!
    Yeah, let me know what you think. It's got a long way to go still.
    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
      I'm not set on the coloring/lighting yet either. I was trying to go for a grey metal battleship-esqe look instead of the "space concrete" of old but I'm having a tough time with the lighting at the moment.
      Yeah, grey-metal could be cool. And then name it 'Battleplatt Galactica '. And i also had the feeling that a big part of the grey-yellow-brownish look might be caused by the yellow skylight. Changing this a bit more to the brighter white color could really effect the overall visuals in a positive way.

Can confirm botton of the platform looks absolut fine, like it, watch it quite often when the bots kill me
      Last edited by Mr Van; 11-19-2015, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
        Yeah, grey-metal could be cool. And then name it 'Battleplatt Galactica '. And i also had the feeling that a big part of the grey-yellow-brownish look might be caused by the yellow skylight. Changing this a bit more to the brighter white color could really effect the overall visuals in a positive way.

Can confirm botton of the platform looks absolut fine, like it, watch it quite often when the bots kill me
        You mean Battlesplat Galactica?

What sucks is that the sunrise looks really cool (and was a lot of work). I may be doing a massive amount of material changing also. It will probably be a while before an A2 but I'll keep working it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
          An maybe the fluctuation effect of the force field in the middle of the platform could be a bit larger in size, faster fluctuating and more 'dangerous looking' in color compared to the now harmless, inviting baby-sky-blue
          I forgot to mention that it is completely placeholder at the moment. I plan on doing something more interesting and with a sound when you get killed in the center.

Comment

So, finally managed to kick the wife off the computer long enough to try this (she's studying hard for a new career, bless her cotton socks!)

As expected, immense fun. It did immediately strike me how much smaller and faster it is than the ut2004 version, but it's no worse for it. As an example, it takes over 15 seconds in ut2004 to circle the lower and upper platform, but it can be done in just 10 here. I bet you struggled for ages on finding a good compromise given no dodge jump in UT4?

A few other comments...

- Its hard to land on the small platforms that exist on the sides of the walls (where you dodge to from the rocket platform). The arm attached to each wall (above the small platform) just blocks it too much.

- The pipe work looks great, and provides more campy positions for the sneaky of us, but is awkward to navigate up. Maybe take out the branches that block your head when you try to scale it?

- I like the idea of getting to the upper platform from the back, but I think it may be better with just a run up a slope as opposed to the hacky water ladder solution. As already suggest, maybe making the back of the walls a bit less steep could be a workable solution - you should try it

- Finally, the shape of the platforms. Is there any reason why these can't be more circular now as opposed to a big multi-edged polygon? I always thought it was engine limitations in previous UTs. Simply a design choice now?

Great job, and already a keeper in my books!

Comment

Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
              So, finally managed to kick the wife off the computer long enough to try this (she's studying hard for a new career, bless her cotton socks!)

As expected, immense fun. It did immediately strike me how much smaller and faster it is than the ut2004 version, but it's no worse for it. As an example, it takes over 15 seconds in ut2004 to circle the lower and upper platform, but it can be done in just 10 here. I bet you struggled for ages on finding a good compromise given no dodge jump in UT4?

A few other comments...

- Its hard to land on the small platforms that exist on the sides of the walls (where you dodge to from the rocket platform). The arm attached to each wall (above the small platform) just blocks it too much.

- The pipe work looks great, and provides more campy positions for the sneaky of us, but is awkward to navigate up. Maybe take out the branches that block your head when you try to scale it?

- I like the idea of getting to the upper platform from the back, but I think it may be better with just a run up a slope as opposed to the hacky water ladder solution. As already suggest, maybe making the back of the walls a bit less steep could be a workable solution - you should try it

- Finally, the shape of the platforms. Is there any reason why these can't be more circular now as opposed to a big multi-edged polygon? I always thought it was engine limitations in previous UTs. Simply a design choice now?

Great job, and already a keeper in my books!
              Glad you tried it out Bawsy. First thing is, tell your wife there's priorities ya know .

The key thing is whether or not you're happy with the scale and it sounds like you are. I'll consider moving pipes around and adjusting the tops of those lights. The hacky ladder is totally temp. In terms of the shapes of the platforms, I actually purposely made it like that. My ultimate goal is to make it look like it was assembled out of panels while in space. It's unlikely that it would be completely smooth/circular if it were assembled that way. If it really bugs people though I could certainly be swayed. To do it totally right, I would need to learn how to make my own meshes with custom materials on them and unfortunately I just don't have the free time.

Comment

Spacenoxx in a Asteroidfield was a great Idea or M^uL?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                  Spacenoxx in a Asteroidfield was a great Idea or M^uL?
                  I will be changing up the skybox over time. My UT3 version was in an asteroid field actually. I might try to do something similar.

Comment

UT99 version was just plain old space wasn't it? Maybe that but with a nice nebula in the background somewhere? Sometimes less is more?

Comment

Originally posted by mastrok View Post
                      UT99 version was just plain old space wasn't it? Maybe that but with a nice nebula in the background somewhere? Sometimes less is more?
                      Yeah, I have to control my tendencies to overdo it.

Comment

Do you Barsam 2a s Skybox would be cool for the Map

Comment

You are the king of great looking remakes! Seriously!
                          Win 10
                          iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                          3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                          32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                          DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                          2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
                            You are the king of great looking remakes! Seriously!
                            Well, I've got to get a couple of the non-serious nostalgia maps in to make it feel like home.

Comment

Very cool, i'll fire it up this weekend and give you some feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Inoxx View Post
                                Very cool, i'll fire it up this weekend and give you some feedback!
                                Oh god, no pressure LOL! Be sure to read the disclaimer in the first paragraph of the first post . A1 is a mess but it's sorta playable. A2 will have many changes to lighting/colors (the yellow sunlight looks terrible in A1) and much more grounded (less floaty) gameplay. Also the funky hacked ladder volume is going to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X