Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Dreary2

Hey!
    I was asked to do an ICTF map and decided to remake CTF-Dreary from UT99. The original map and any credit for it goes to Shane Caudle.
    I've decided this time to make a shell version of the map, before jumping to meshing it, which is, obviously, the better approach. User Brutality has already playtested a fair bit and pointed out to me several flaws, which have already been fixed or at least tackled. Some of which were: visibility between the 3 levels (low, mid, high) and some map-mechanics which had to be changed.

Currently the map is textured in kind of a "mine-style". I'd like to keep it that way, should I ever start the meshing phase, but I'd also like to see how things work out first.

Here's the download link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3GEDe0GqzrRm03a2NBbmRzbG8/view?usp=sharing) for the map. [21.4MB] [Latest Version!]

Here's a 4 minute video (https://youtu.be/ckx7w5Q6hpw) of the map. [NOT latest version! CTF-Dreary2-v1, November 27, 2015]

- Main differences between the ut99-version and the remake (primarily I wanted to improve playability for NORMAL WEAPONS)
    • High Path is now broader with a little bit of space to maneuvre
    • Tried to increase difficulty to spawn kill
    • Reduced amp count to 1, which is placed in the centre of the map, as is the shield belt.
    • Reworked every path to adapt to the UT4-Movement.
    • Replaced some items (put sniper where ripper was, removed ripper, replaced thigh pads)
    • Added some crates in the high-spawns of both bases. Upon those crates I placed the thigh pads.
    • Added 2 Medium health packs in each Flagbase, along with ammunition and 4 health vials.
    • Added multiple health vials throughout the map.

- Changelog:
    CTF-Dreary2-v2, November 28, 2015
    Fixed the steps on the higher-level.
    Changed flagbases so you can't crouch and hide everywhere, also removed some bumpiness.
    CTF-Dreary2-v2a, November 29, 2015Fixed spawns, because it turned out to be too imbalanced, having everyone spawn in the base. Scrapped Ut99 spawns and placed them better. Still needs polishings
    Fixed some lighting issues, sorry about that
    Fixed collision with the lower level doors, so you wont get stuck anymore
    Fixed Lift collision, should erase the lift bugs or keep them to a minimum
    Fixed some pillar collision
    Slightly adjusted Flagbase ramp to make sliding/wallsliding feel a little bit better (still subject to change ofc)
    CTF-Dreary2-v2b, Decembre 1, 2015 (should be on Frankfurt + Amsterdam very soon, if not already)
    Shortened both mid-segments by ~13% resulting in a general shortening of ~800 units map-length.
    Changed spawns so there's more probability to spawn on mid level.
    Fixed some collision.
    Added some meshes already. (Lifts are now meshes and some extra meshes as well)

- To-Do-List:
    • Try to get some feedback
    • Improve after feedback
    • Polish collision even more
    • Tweak Lift-speeds if needed
    • Redesign Flag room, as it's super-boring right now, but maybe people like it.
    • Ultimately -> Meshes and lighting
    • Add slime as soon as the next build will be published
    • After some feedback, guys seem to be confident that the mid is too long. I'll try and shorten it by 10% on each side and see if that works better. [DONE - Needs testing]
    • New entrance will be built in in next version. So it'll be 2 entrances, but still only 2 exits (top/low).

Any feedback is appreciated!

A huge thanks to:
    Loque and Samarties for putting up the map on the #ut4.eu hubs
    NUKE for insisting on playing the map and some important feedback
    Brutality for some quality feedback
    The #UT4.eu pug guys for not totally hating me

(Other Projects: omlette's & my CTF-Gargantua: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-Gargantua ...... currently on ice, and never to be revived again :P)
    Last edited by rawlph; 12-01-2015, 06:02 PM.

sick, well done man

Comment

good job, thanks.
      UT99 with Allied Enemies - «Æ»yaku

Comunità italiana di UT4: #UT4.it
      Web: http://webchat.globalgamers.net/?channels=UT4.it
      Client IRC: /server -m irc.globalgamers.net -j #UT4.it

Comment

glad it looks cool! hope it also plays well 8)..

edit: I can see the single entrance to the flagbase being an issue.. let's see how it works out.
        Last edited by rawlph; 11-27-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rawlph View Post

edit: I can see the single entrance to the flagbase being an issue.. let's see how it works out.
          That will need fixing if you want people to take a map like this seriously, it's a poorly designed map.

Comment

IMO the original UT99 version was extremely cramped and (with all due respect to the author) one of the worst UT maps ever made, at least for normal weapons - so I think it was a good decision to scale the map up compared to UT99, and make it more normal-weapon friendly in general. Other than that, looks like a pretty faithful remake. Looking forward to see what you will do for lighting & decoration. Since you're sticking to the same layout as UT99, it would be cool if you reinvented the visual part of the map to give it its own distinct UT4 flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by rawlph View Post

it always was an issue in ut99
              but sometimes spammy chaos can be fun

Comment

Happy to see Dreary come back. It was a competition-grade map on the Proving Grounds CTF ladder and the favored map for clans [Ri] Raging Insanity and WW|Weekend Warriors.
                UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

The single entrance could be okay as long as there aren't too many pickups in there and/or a lot of player spawns so players have time to kill, grab the flag and leave before the team gets back and are forced to chase a little bit.
                  "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
                  "No, why."
                  "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

Originally posted by GGaben View Post
                    The single entrance could be okay as long as there aren't too many pickups in there and/or a lot of player spawns so players have time to kill, grab the flag and leave before the team gets back and are forced to chase a little bit.
                    Yea.. ut99 had spawnpoints placed in the flagbases. I removed them and placed them all on the lowerlevels and some on the mid level. It kind of works in ICTF already, although the guys aren't really satisfied yet . Just needs testing tbh. Also would like to see if the 2 health packs i placed in the flagbase are an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X