DM-Pilgrim (7/22/17)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi tidu,

first of all: thanks for this medium to large size map, the generall castle setting is cool, and i belive this map could develop quite fine. After playing some 5v5 TDM here a bit of feedback:

- i have not problems with the water, and think it should definitely be swimable! Nobody is forced to go in there, but its nice to have the option and better tha a kill volume i case one accidently falls in. And as DutchSmoke already mentioned, it would be quite cool to have a kind of secred way to get from the outside water area back into the castle via an underground swimmable tunnel. Its already there (the one with the fence) and maybe you can 'enrich & revard' it via placing e.g invisiblility somewhere in the tunnel (i didn't find it in the map, so i assume you did not place it so far ).

- i found that fro the ware area, i takes quite some time to get back to the center and thoung about having a 'catapult-jumppad' in the outside water area close to the vest, which shoots you back to the location to the udamage (like in Deadfall). I belive there is kind of a space between the walls/towers to make that possible, and it could make overall gameplay faster

- the large hexagonal shaped tower cloase to he udamage: which has already an entry: i wonder if you can somehow make further use of that and place an outlook room/outlook platform in half of the hight, accessible from withing either trough a lift inside, or a staircase within (or on the outside to make it more risky, like in DM-Peak)

- the white stripes on the end of the wood floors: i see the same, but maybe this is a issue of gfx settings. I run all gfx settings (texture/effects/postprocessing) on low.

Overall i really like the map! Wonder if in some areas kind of a walkable sourrounding main wall like in DM-Barricade would furhter add flavor to this map. Keep going, going to play some more rounds and keep you updated...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mr Van. I'm kicking around a few ideas now, some of which would resolve the concerns you brought up.

1) tunnel accessible from the water - I currently have this placed in the next build. I wanted to put the invis behind that grate so it can be seen from the outside. But if the player swims all the way in, and has to swim back, they'll lose valuable time with the powerup. one solution would be to allow the invisible player to walk through the grate and get back into the action immediately. after some investigation... I am not sure if this is possible with blueprints. Also how would I tell the player they can walk through grates? I thought to just make the mesh invisible for them, but I don't think I can make a mesh invisible just for one player. So right now I have a room with a few ways in and out, including swimming in from the ocean. It may be a bit too open at the moment, though.

2) I will consider a quick movement across the map. I think I can achieve this in two ways. A walkway on the roof from the ocean area to the udmg room is one. I added a redeemer above the link and helmet room so it would connect with this. An alternative is to have a jumppad. Though I would like to explore a different idea that would produce the same result. Maybe, to fit with the map's theme, there could be a drop into a chute or tunnel of running water that would carry the player under the map, then a jumppad to pop them up to ground level in the udmg room.

Once I get these updates into a workable state I will release a new build. And I think I prefer testing with 5v5 TDM now, it plays well on this map. I am very appreciative of all the feedback, thanks again everyone
      DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

I am continuing to work on the map. I do not have a new build ready yet, I started modeling some static meshes and the finer details like UVs are still a bit too messy for a release. But I have a couple pictures.

This is the new room with the invis. It is below the link/helmet room, and is accessible by swimming or by taking the steps down from the outer platform. The lift takes you up to the link/helmet room, and lift jumping will get you up to the new redeemer on a higher ledge. The invis room is a bit tight, I'm curious to see how it plays.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I've been working on the ambiance too:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Front and center is the archway that splits the open area in two. Behind that... I replaced one of the stairs to the ocean with a beach. It's a smoother transition and it should be easier for the bots to get back to land. I can't really get a picture of this but I added the "quick route" from the ocean area to the udmg room. The player drops down a tube into rushing water which pushes them through a tunnel very fast. They reach a jumppad and pop back up at ground level. It takes about a second, so it's essentially a teleporter. It's a neat effect. I must have "taken a ride" 100 times purposely trying to get stuck or find any collision problems. It should be pretty foolproof now.

I'll should get the next build out in a few days. Thanks for the interest
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Cool tidu! That picture ot the outside scene at the vest looks already quite nice and seems show a good ambiance ! Will be interresting to see how the water-tube 'teleporter' works out.

I might become a great fan on this one

Comment

Really liking the direction you're going on this tidu.
            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

On the right track indeed and you've got to love the beach! Keep it up tidu!
              LoPing
              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                Cool tidu! That picture ot the outside scene at the vest looks already quite nice and seems show a good ambiance ! Will be interresting to see how the water-tube 'teleporter' works out.

I might become a great fan on this one
                Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                Really liking the direction you're going on this tidu.
                Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                On the right track indeed and you've got to love the beach! Keep it up tidu!
                Thanks for the comments! I uploaded the next build, download link is in the first post. Here's a summary of the changes:

Gameplay
                • A new room with Invisibility was added below the link and helmet room.
                • A redeemer was added above the link and helmet room, accessible through a lift jump or jumpboots. This building was turned into a belltower with a huge bell at the top. The bell gongs when the redeemer spawns, don't let it scare you. It's not very loud, I'd like some opinions on the volume and range. It's audible from most of the map.
                • The oceanfront area was revamped. One of the stairs into the ocean was replaced with a beach so it's easier to get back to land. A new wall with a doorway splits the area in half. A ramp was added to the invis room.
                • A ramp was added to the oceanfront area under the sniper.
                • As a bit of an experiment, a quick route was built in between the oceanfront and the udmg room. A GIF is provided below. It's essentially a teleporter but a better visual effect. Let me know if you're able to "break" it.

Visual
                • Some BSP was converted to meshes and manipulated a bit. I tried to break away some upper walls so that the belltower is visible from different places on the map.
                • Please disregard the bad UV maps, the textures don't line up on the meshes.
                • General ambiance is vastly improved
                • Fixed those white lines
                DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Highly appreciate the update tidu!
                  Reloaded on the LoPing Arena for your enjoyment.

So after a couple of good bash's on it, some thoughts.
                  -Niceness on the beach,bell tower,udamage hut.
                  -Crazy little pitfall behind the sniper
                  -Pretty neat seaside entrance into the rightside of the map.
                  -The brick color used this round is abit too dark, killing any depth perception from side angels.
                  -The water is still too murky.

Overall sweet update and with improved flow of the map. Thanks again for share'n this beaut.
                  Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 12-17-2015, 05:48 PM.
                  LoPing
                  Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Thanks for the detailed comments I did make the bricks a tad darker. I can undo that if it improves player visibility.
                    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Hi Tidu,

yes, i also had the feeling that the brick walls in the new build were kind of darker, and wondered it it was related to my current UT gfx settings or just placebo/imagination, but after DutchSmoke's confirmation, looks like this was your intention.

For my perasonal taste they are a bit too dark, and i would prefer have them a bit brighter as the current color look a bit unnatural. Thanks in advance for correcting this ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                        Hi Tidu,

yes, i also had the feeling that the brick walls in the new build were kind of darker, and wondered it it was related to my current UT gfx settings or just placebo/imagination, but after DutchSmoke's confirmation, looks like this was your intention.

For my perasonal taste they are a bit too dark, and i would prefer have them a bit brighter as the current color look a bit unnatural. Thanks in advance for correcting this ;-)
                        I think it's a combination of a few things. The time of day is a bit later so overall the map is a bit darker. I also improved the dark stone material with the intended specular map, and darkened the colors a bit as the specular made it brighter. I think I can achieve the same effect with a slightly brighter color and maybe increasing the sunlight intensity to compensate for the lower sun.

Down the road I'll be able to vertex paint the walls with brighter textures in some spots which should also help. Thanks for playing
                        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Happy new year! I have a quick progress pic. I am holding off on a new release until at least after the new 4.11 build which should be early January.

I only have this area of the map meshed, though it's a good example of how the stone walls will look in the final product. Personal comments:

The stairs will change, I am still using a placeholder.
                          I will attempt to make all the vegetation the same shade of green
                          Any dark stone walls that are walkable (for example where the ammo is in the pic above, also where the belt is) will have a wood platform so the player knows it's a walkway.
                          The vegetation is animated to simulate wind. I'd like to add some more objects that would also be affected by the wind, like a large cloth overhang or something. DM-Chill will have some of these elements so I am eager to see what the team comes up with.
                          DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Agree with this: -The brick color used this round is abit too dark, killing any depth perception from side angels.

I like many other things about it!

Comment

Originally posted by the_ROCK View Post
                              Agree with this: -The brick color used this round is abit too dark, killing any depth perception from side angels.

I like many other things about it!
                              Thanks I made the bricks lighter for the latest build but I am dealing with an issue where old versions of assets make their way into new paks. So while the walls look correct in the editor, in-game they still had the darker version of the material and I didn't notice. I just realized this last night, sorry guys! My last screenshot was taken in the editor so it shows the lighter texture. Once 4.11 is pushed out I will have to update the map. It will have the fixed wall material and much more.
                              DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                                Thanks I made the bricks lighter for the latest build but I am dealing with an issue where old versions of assets make their way into new paks. So while the walls look correct in the editor, in-game they still had the darker version of the material and I didn't notice. I just realized this last night, sorry guys! My last screenshot was taken in the editor so it shows the lighter texture. Once 4.11 is pushed out I will have to update the map. It will have the fixed wall material and much more.
                                I ran into a similar issue recently... It turned out at some point the editor had decided to save the umap file I was working on in Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps instead of Content/Maps in spite of the fact I'd loaded it from Content/Maps. So I had 2 identically named umap files in different paths... I'd load the one in Content/maps, make some changes and build, it'd look fine in the editor. Then I'd Share the map and it'd pak without any of the changes I'd just made.

Once I made sure the changes were saved to Content/Maps and removed the file in RestrictedAssets it built fine again.
                                Last edited by MoxNix; 01-03-2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X