X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Station

Testers Required...

DOWNLOAD

Note: everything on this map is placeholder and exists to assist in blocking. what is key is feedback, so please take off your netiquette gloves and type accordingly.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 08-18-2016, 12:07 PM.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

I'll give it a run-through next time I boot up UT. Glad to see you're getting back on the horse after what happened with HeatRay.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
      I'll give it a run-through next time I boot up UT. Glad to see you're getting back on the horse after what happened with HeatRay.
      Thanks man, just trying to have fun this time - am still blocking this out but I think it's over the point where my input is less important than feedback.
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I don't have a lot of time so here's a raw paste of the text document I wrote while playing:

thigh pads cannot be obtained, collision

physx boxes very glitchy, flak goes through, sometimes go flying

keg dof VERY annoying

invisible collision on catwalk railing, railings are too huge

being able to shoot some weapons through the catwalks but not others is really annoying

possible to get outside of catwalks but not back in

50a + 100a so close together is a bad idea

keg area feels very disconnected and dissatisfying. I like the idea of low grav making it a dangerous area, but rework it so that the keg is in an elevated position that requires a low grav jump to reach, then put shock outside of the keg so that it can be used to make that low grav jump risky

I like the curviness- spline meshes!

I strongly dislike the amp catwalk area. It essentially is a flat open area that caters exclusively to hitscan but then also limits movement without providing cover. It's never ever worth going in there unless you are grabbing amp.

Map flow seems off, there are areas of good gameplay but then those small areas don't connect to the other areas nicely, they get choked off.

Comment

I don't have a lot of time so here's a raw paste of the text document I wrote while playing:

thigh pads cannot be obtained, collision

physx boxes very glitchy, flak goes through, sometimes go flying

keg dof VERY annoying

invisible collision on catwalk railing, railings are too huge

being able to shoot some weapons through the catwalks but not others is really annoying

possible to get outside of catwalks but not back in

50a + 100a so close together is a bad idea

keg area feels very disconnected and dissatisfying. I like the idea of low grav making it a dangerous area, but rework it so that the keg is in an elevated position that requires a low grav jump to reach, then put shock outside of the keg so that it can be used to make that low grav jump risky

I like the curviness- spline meshes!

I strongly dislike the amp catwalk area. It essentially is a flat open area that caters exclusively to hitscan but then also limits movement without providing cover. It's never ever worth going in there unless you are grabbing amp.

Map flow seems off, there are areas of good gameplay but then those small areas don't connect to the other areas nicely, they get choked off.
          Yeah, I can't figure it out myself, I was hoping someone would be able to work this one out. It looks clean to me and doesn't impact during PIE, but only has an impact after packing. I'll probably replace it with something else.

All the other points are awesome and were exactly what I was looking for. I think the main room with the viewing deck of the sun and planet is the only room which works for me and the others feel tacked-on.

The best key on the keyboard is definitely the delete key. Let me put it to work...
          Attached Files
          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I don't think you have to tear the whole thing apart. In particular, I like the area around the shield belt, and a lot of the smaller segments of the map work just fine. Just make it a bit more interconnected; I think there's an opportunity for a little z-axis play too.

Weird about the bug with the collision. I figured it was something you surely knew about, but added it in just in case. :]

Comment

I don't think you have to tear the whole thing apart. In particular, I like the area around the shield belt, and a lot of the smaller segments of the map work just fine. Just make it a bit more interconnected; I think there's an opportunity for a little z-axis play too.

Weird about the bug with the collision. I figured it was something you surely knew about, but added it in just in case. :]
              Oh, I totally knew about the collision issue but figured someone would figure it out...meh, whatever.

I've already deleted everything minus the main viewing deck and am rebuilding the areas connecting to it already
              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

14-DEC-15

Version A1 completed!

• Reworked design based on feedback and confirmation of routing.
                • Added low gravity section - WARNING NOTICES HAVE BEEN POSTED!!! THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER WARNINGS, THIS IS YOUR WARNING!!!
                • Added TP
                • Altered colouring system, it should be clear which deck of the station you are on at all times.
                • Added more weapons
                • Extreme nav mesh modification
                • Added atmospheric SFX and Sound Design audio volume modifications, it should now feel like you are inside a metal container.
                • Additional meshing for decoration
                • Removed/cleaned-up decal 'spew'.
                • Removed DoF and bloom.
                • Added fringing
                • Added/increased GI
                • Added additional 10 bounces of light
                • Changed Ambient CM to 'mellow out' the lighting
                • Tightened AO to a measly .2 to balance sightlines
                • Added floorlines for better player projectile guidance and situational awareness
                • Recommend player limit is currently 6 - This will change

And more....

All links and pictures in main post updated, please provide feedback as per normal.

I really need to know how the additional connection to the low gravity room should be approached...I've left a marker in the map with a 'DOOR?' on the wall for guidance as it really seams as if this is the place to put it, but will leave it to you dudes and dudettes to help me out here.

'hugs y'all.

-Whilst in-between crunches, I was reading the blogs of David Johnston, highly recommend reading for level design. Hard to believe it's been over 13 years since De_Dust2 was hammered-out.
                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Physx boxes behave very badly; even offline, most of my shots just go through them, and they create some unexpected bad consequences; i.e. the one by the keg keeps getting knocked into that staircase/jump pad below and blocking off the entire route. It also reacts highly unpredictably to weapons fire- a full primary flak moves it about 1cm, but a single enforcer shot sends it flying.

I'm not a big fan of teleporters in general, and especially in DM. It means you're going into a new environment blindly, and they have the tendency to both cut off firefights in the middle and lead to teleporter camping, neither of which I find particularly fun. The one you have isn't bad as far as teleporters go, but if you can find some other way to connect the areas, do it. Also, for some reason I kept getting a big upwards momentum boost on exit from that teleporter.

The map is way too small for your recommended player count of six. It's smaller than even the 1v1 duel maps that Epic has made, and with six players the map is utter chaos, and spawnkilling is both unavoidable and rampant.

I was thinking that it would be nice for there to be a way to get from the bottom to the top of the low grav room without having to exit and come around the long way or use a damage boost, seems like it would help flow. Turns out there is, you get a slight height boost off every wall dodge so you can go back and forth between the pillar and the ledge to the second floor 5-6 times and eventually you will get up there. Right now though, it feels unintentional, so you should either encourage it and make it practical to do during normal gameplay or stop players from doing it (I would suggest the former, but I'm not the mapmaker here).

The space station theme looks good, I like the large rotating ring and the projector with the rgb circles in particular.

The return to normal gravity at the top and bottom of the low grav room is very weird. Make it low grav through the whole thing, and just put another kill volume at the top to stop them from escaping.

I'm not wild about the weapon and pickup placement. Honestly, in a map this size I would limit the pickups to the 100a and keg, with the keg where the rockets are now and the 100a where the shield belt is. The number of weapons is also huge for how small the map is- there are three guns in the low grav room alone. The best weapon in the room, the minigun, is also the easiest to grab, while the worst, the rocket, is the hardest. The minigun is considered to be a bit OP by most competitive players right now, but it's downright brutal in a room with low gravity because of how slowly and predictably everything moves in the air.

I don't like the divot in the middle of the hall next to the two health packs. It feels weird and out of place, and doesn't really offer any advantages to ever going in, but it does present risks. If you just want it to be a straight up risk, that's fine, but then maybe make it a pit instead of a divot.

I miss the curved walls from the last build. It was fun to bounce flak off of them.

The lift by the two health packs could use another route in and out, right now if you see a player going that way you know that's the only exit for them and they become a pretty easy frag.

The blocking volume above the doorframe in the low grav area is frustrating, same with the blocks above the rockets. Make it visually inaccessible or let me go there!

Finally, something a bit less concrete, and something that's just my opinion instead of a real criticism of the map as it is: I feel like the level is just too small to really be a UT deathmatch level right now. If you roughly doubled the gameplay area, it would be about right for a 5-6 player deathmatch, is what my gut tells me. My gut also tells me that the low grav room feels weird as an end cap like it is- it's risky to cross, and because it's out of the way and has no pickups, there's no real reason to go in there. But, if you added another section to the map about the size of what you already have on the other side of the low grav cylinder, you'd have an interesting map centerpiece, and it would give the room purpose and function. I know it would be a lot more work, and it would mean changing the size of the level that you have in your head, but it's something to think about.

Comment

1. Physx boxes behave very badly; even offline, most of my shots just go through them, and they create some unexpected bad consequences; i.e. the one by the keg keeps getting knocked into that staircase/jump pad below and blocking off the entire route. It also reacts highly unpredictably to weapons fire- a full primary flak moves it about 1cm, but a single enforcer shot sends it flying.
                    2. I'm not a big fan of teleporters in general, and especially in DM. It means you're going into a new environment blindly, and they have the tendency to both cut off firefights in the middle and lead to teleporter camping, neither of which I find particularly fun. The one you have isn't bad as far as teleporters go, but if you can find some other way to connect the areas, do it. Also, for some reason I kept getting a big upwards momentum boost on exit from that teleporter.
                    3. The map is way too small for your recommended player count of six. It's smaller than even the 1v1 duel maps that Epic has made, and with six players the map is utter chaos, and spawnkilling is both unavoidable and rampant.
                    4. I was thinking that it would be nice for there to be a way to get from the bottom to the top of the low grav room without having to exit and come around the long way or use a damage boost, seems like it would help flow. Turns out there is, you get a slight height boost off every wall dodge so you can go back and forth between the pillar and the ledge to the second floor 5-6 times and eventually you will get up there. Right now though, it feels unintentional, so you should either encourage it and make it practical to do during normal gameplay or stop players from doing it (I would suggest the former, but I'm not the mapmaker here).
                    5. The space station theme looks good, I like the large rotating ring and the projector with the rgb circles in particular.
                    6. The return to normal gravity at the top and bottom of the low grav room is very weird. Make it low grav through the whole thing, and just put another kill volume at the top to stop them from escaping.
                    7. I'm not wild about the weapon and pickup placement. Honestly, in a map this size I would limit the pickups to the 100a and keg, with the keg where the rockets are now and the 100a where the shield belt is. The number of weapons is also huge for how small the map is- there are three guns in the low grav room alone. The best weapon in the room, the minigun, is also the easiest to grab, while the worst, the rocket, is the hardest. The minigun is considered to be a bit OP by most competitive players right now, but it's downright brutal in a room with low gravity because of how slowly and predictably everything moves in the air.
                    8. I don't like the divot in the middle of the hall next to the two health packs. It feels weird and out of place, and doesn't really offer any advantages to ever going in, but it does present risks. If you just want it to be a straight up risk, that's fine, but then maybe make it a pit instead of a divot.
                    9. I miss the curved walls from the last build. It was fun to bounce flak off of them.
                    10. The lift by the two health packs could use another route in and out, right now if you see a player going that way you know that's the only exit for them and they become a pretty easy frag.
                    11. The blocking volume above the doorframe in the low grav area is frustrating, same with the blocks above the rockets. Make it visually inaccessible or let me go there!
                    12. Finally, something a bit less concrete, and something that's just my opinion instead of a real criticism of the map as it is: I feel like the level is just too small to really be a UT deathmatch level right now. If you roughly doubled the gameplay area, it would be about right for a 5-6 player deathmatch, is what my gut tells me. My gut also tells me that the low grav room feels weird as an end cap like it is- it's risky to cross, and because it's out of the way and has no pickups, there's no real reason to go in there. But, if you added another section to the map about the size of what you already have on the other side of the low grav cylinder, you'd have an interesting map centerpiece, and it would give the room purpose and function. I know it would be a lot more work, and it would mean changing the size of the level that you have in your head, but it's something to think about.
                    1: Increased weight 3-fold and reduced sine by about 17%. In essence I agree with you, and am very sad about this/them, as I really want'd them t'work. They are still PhysX boxes, just not so corruptible/movable.

2: Hmmm, I am due to create a big surprise about the TP location and this is just a placeholder for now. Although the end point is the final end-point, there is an intermediate location I'm building elsewhere...you won't be in Kansas any longer...it's very sci-fi

3: Oh totally, I'm building lots more sections a lá lego and this is due to move inwards and outwards, should have a new build up today/later.

4: Think of when you hit a tennis ball with extreeeeeme top-spin, that is the visual impact required and exactly what I was looking to achieve. The amount of time spent on adjusting the gravity constant(s) to get this right would scare you (I'm currently at 7 decimal places) Those that learn this room will be more successful than those who don't. The HS nature of this room is why the SR is in there, because when you have the advantage of the SR and gravity, you can completely surprise anyone who dares oppose you. I have made yet another slight adjustment today as I have added another 4 rooms. Did you also notice the firing distances have been synced with the room size? All meant to affect play and it's f'king awesome fun to do.

5: Oh, you're too kind 'sir - and the colours? Only thing which took longer was the low grav room.

6: Intentional, it gives the player the 'OMG AM I GONNA MAKE IT?????' factor. Adds tension when playing.

7: Sort of agree as the quantity of rooms and routes is what it is/was. The RL will stay where it is for now but have moved the MG as this was always due to be moved for the reason you have given.

8: Agreed - this was added to give a slight-line advantage to the upper KEG room when using SR...I altered the angle and removed it. I'm not happy about the KEG room in general...I think it needs something more than it is, but the advantage when there is moderately balanced to not give too much of an advantage as given by the 3 directions that you can be killed by if waiting for the spawn of the KEG...it's a difficult one to balance.

9: Oh, they are coming back. You can believe that.

10: This is a very tough point to balance and I did have a lot of thoughts on this. It is partially an escape route and partially an access point, I think the choice is situational and personal and sometimes both as to whether it is traversed.

11: HA! Gravity is denser to a main mass object equal to your initial velocity divided by your transversal velocity and multiplied by any motion prior to leaving an artificial gravity environment. Basically, space is weird - and you can get as high as you need to in that room.

12: The map was and is due to be larger, but the low grav room/section was always meant to be a beachhead or a end-point, not a central point. Take a look later to see where I'm going on this and to see if the changes give you more amunition to your point or not. I'm not sure I agree currently, but as always will humbly leave the ego at the door when it comes to design.

Overall, totally awesome comments for that build and yet, nothing about the colours!!!!

Always the same isn't it? You spend all your time on one thing and are totally proud of it, yet no one pays it any attention Colour is everything, as it really lets you know where you are and I really am in love with the colour on this map, I really am I got another 4 CM's I've yet to tinker with so it may all look totally different in the future, who knows, but for right now, I'm over the moon - pun intended.

And the music? Good grief that is something I spent time over...not mine of course, but still, it's sooooooooo atmospheric and apt to the theme of the level/map I should get a gold star just for using it

Look forward to more comments and feedback, however small.
                    Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

15-DEC-15

A2 completed, main links updated. (low lighting build)

New rooms and connections.
                      Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 12-24-2015, 10:47 AM.
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                        Overall, totally awesome comments for that build and yet, nothing about the colours!!!!

Always the same isn't it? You spend all your time on one thing and are totally proud of it, yet no one pays it any attention Colour is everything, as it really lets you know where you are and I really am in love with the colour on this map, I really am I got another 4 CM's I've yet to tinker with so it may all look totally different in the future, who knows, but for right now, I'm over the moon - pun intended.

And the music? Good grief that is something I spent time over...not mine of course, but still, it's sooooooooo atmospheric and apt to the theme of the level/map I should get a gold star just for using it

Look forward to more comments and feedback, however small.

Will test the new build when I get time. I figured that all the art was super WIP at this point and that the gameplay would have more useful feedback, so I focused my attention there while leaving just a couple bits on the visual style that really stuck out to me. I'll have to remember to turn the music on next time I play, I generally have it off because I'm listening to my own anyway, so no feedback on that except to say "Good job on putting the music in the right audio channel, something nobody else seems to be able to figure out."

Comment

17-DEC-15

• A3 Completed
                          • Extended and moved room dimensions for green section.
                          • Changed the white room angled pillars slightly to accommodate tricks as they were causing slight glitches when attempting these.
                          • Created new 'Briefing room'.
                          • Altered blocking volumes in 'Gravity room'.
                          • Altered SFX volumes.

Main Link updated.
                          Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 12-24-2015, 10:48 AM.
                          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Looks good in the pictures. Will test when I can.

Comment

Looks good in the pictures. Will test when I can.
                              There's a chance I'll have A4 posted later today, as have done some BSP Replace and changed the lighting and CM.

Perhaps wait? Or, compare and contrast? Sup to you bro', I'll be changing the nomenclature anyways...
                              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X