No announcement yet.

DM-Grendelkeep-WIP1V2 (Updated 2/2/16)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Grendelkeep-WIP1V2 (Updated 2/2/16)

“I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).”

MAP INFORMATION:

Download:
    https://ut.rushbase.net/konsept/DM-G...wsNoEditor.pak

Game.ini:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Grendelkeep-WIP1V2-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/konsept/DM-Grendelkeep/DM-Grendelkeep-WIP1V2-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="C8E96AF980DF6F668EBD95E451FC20CF")

Rules.ini:
    CustomMapList=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Grendelkeep-WIP1V2

TO DO:
    More meshes
    Better Lighting
    Optimization
    Too much to list TBH.

CHANGE LOG:

2/2/2016
    Added more meshes
    Cleaned up some collision
    Complete overhaul on lighting
    Complete overhaul on reflection mapping
    Lowered volume of ambient sounds
    Released for latest build

Last edited by konseptzzz; 02-02-2016, 11:55 PM.

Looks great, I will follow!

It can make smaller blocks of stone?
    My old WIP maps!

Comment

I loved the original. This is looking REALLY promising. If you are open to artistic suggestions and criticism, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
        I loved the original. This is looking REALLY promising. If you are open to artistic suggestions and criticism, let me know.
        Absolutely !!!!

Comment

WoW i can wait for testing Your Map

Comment

Looking good so far! Do you have a pak we can test? The stone bricks look a bit too big for me. I would also love to see it in a snow environment
            Last edited by Viper-; 01-04-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Looks great, add night skybox like in original! And share for testing asap!!

Comment

I will test it with smaller bricks, but this was a straight conversion from UT2k4, and the textures were scaled that high. I will try it though and see how it goes.

As for the rain/night theme, I wanted to try something different. If 2k4 was rain/night, i figured this would be the same environment, in the winter, and during the daytime.

I still have a TON of things to change/create, but this is just the start!

I hope to have a PAK available for testing sometime this coming weekend.

Comment

I like this day theme, as it creates nice areas of contrast, but the torches kind of feel dull where they are and could perhaps be moved to the darker areas.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I could see the torches working if the map looked colder. Like game of thrones sorta look of chilly/snowy. They look out of place right now because the map is so bright and clear.
                    PayBack
                    Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                    Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                    UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                    UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                      I could see the torches working if the map looked colder. Like game of thrones sorta look of chilly/snowy. They look out of place right now because the map is so bright and clear.
                      Totally agree. Basically going to finish what I can, and waiting eagerly for the new Chill meshes and textures and the like.

Comment

I agree, and one of the things that make me feel like a broken record is my saying "Increase the colour contrast". You have a LOT of light/dark contrast, but the colour contrast is a bit dull. I know its still an early WIP, but colour contrast is something you want to get early on, to help define the more tedious decisions later on. Let warm reds, oranges and yellows define certain areas, and cool greens, blues and violets highlight other areas.

Here are some awesome concepts I found on good'ol Google:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

You'll notice a theme, and that is a sort of dungeon/ruin type of look. I really think that going a bit darker would help make the torches 'pop', but it also means you can 'highlight' areas of the map MUCH easier. Don't reduce the intensity of the light, instead, close the ceiling up a bit and get a tighter control on where the beams of light fall. have the roof crack open in JUST the right way to have light bleed out, touch a wall and fill a certain area with an intense, cool light that bounces off the walls and highlights a powerup or path.

This is still early yet, as there are a TON more really easy things to add in to make this map look even better. edge-breakup meshes, closed-off prison cells built into the walls, hanging chains, debris from the collapsed roof, cracks in the floor, spider webs, decaying skeletons, vines growing down from the roof... you name it. Go nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                          I agree, and one of the things that make me feel like a broken record is my saying "Increase the colour contrast". You have a LOT of light/dark contrast, but the colour contrast is a bit dull. I know its still an early WIP, but colour contrast is something you want to get early on, to help define the more tedious decisions later on. Let warm reds, oranges and yellows define certain areas, and cool greens, blues and violets highlight other areas.

Here are some awesome concepts I found on good'ol Google:

You'll notice a theme, and that is a sort of dungeon/ruin type of look. I really think that going a bit darker would help make the torches 'pop', but it also means you can 'highlight' areas of the map MUCH easier. Don't reduce the intensity of the light, instead, close the ceiling up a bit and get a tighter control on where the beams of light fall. have the roof crack open in JUST the right way to have light bleed out, touch a wall and fill a certain area with an intense, cool light that bounces off the walls and highlights a powerup or path.

This is still early yet, as there are a TON more really easy things to add in to make this map look even better. edge-breakup meshes, closed-off prison cells built into the walls, hanging chains, debris from the collapsed roof, cracks in the floor, spider webs, decaying skeletons, vines growing down from the roof... you name it. Go nuts.
                          Love it! This is the type of inspiration that keeps me opening the editor!!

Comment

Looking great so far. Just don't make it a brown box like it was in the original! Ahead of the source material already, so that's a good sign.
                            Find My: Twitter | YouTube | Downloads | Podcast
                            Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol
                            Other: Lore | Invasion | Pickups & Powerups | Achievement Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
                              Jayoplus is working on the ctf version. I made a quick edit of his CTF shell to create the DM version. He is pretty far along in the fully meshed CTF version.

https://ut.rushbase.net/cafe/DM-Gren...wsNoEditor.pak

That's a link to the edit I made, 99.999999% of the actual work was done by Jayoplus. The scaling seems to work really well in this game, so it might be worth taking a look at and comparing to your own version.
                              I was never a fan of the CTF version, but hopefully someone re-creating the map from the ground-up for CTF may make changes and optimisations to make it better.

As for this thread, I would love to see the map completed, show us some progress and don't be afraid to ask for ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X