Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Absolution [WIP] (Update June 1, 2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Absolution [WIP] (Update June 1, 2016)

DM-Absolution [WIP]

15MB Download (June 1, 2016)

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Game.ini
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Absolution-03b-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ubr0waj3gs9m63c/DM-Absolution-03b-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="7519ee1a5600019aa6479521b2f02bfe")
    Rules.ini
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=CustomMapList=/Game/Maps/DM-Absolution/DM-Absolution-03b

Originally posted by Trinatek View Post
    LATEST UPDATE (Wednesday, 06/01/2016)
    A very minor update:

- Updated to the latest build version.
    - Removed some crates lol
    - Clearer TV screens
    - Better optimized
    I designed this map with mostly DM in mind. I'm not certain on the optimal player count at the moment but if I had to say, I'd guess 2v2 or 3v3 TDM, or 6-8 DM. You could try to duel on it but I'm not so sure how that would fare to be honest though you're welcome to try it.

A lot of areas still need some fleshing out to do from a gameplay perspective. A more proper lighting pass is still required and mostly everything is still placeholder stuff. Not entirely sure on the theme I'll end up with but I do have a general idea of where I might go with it (you can see I got a bit carried away with BSP work in places). The "beam" that the shieldbelt sits on can be walked on but also has no projectile collision as a (very) small twist.

I'm pretty happy with the weapon placements at the moment (I designed a lot of the map with the weapons in mind), but I'm also not married to them or to any of the other ideas currently on the map. I'm also not yet certain on how the map plays so... Please feel free to playtest it and leave me some ideas, feedback, or thoughts. Thanks!

The video below demonstrates some maneuvers to more quickly move across the map:

(Currently not up to date, but still helpful)

Screenshots:

Spoiler
    Last edited by Trinatek; 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM.
    ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
    CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
    , Twitch

I think the layout is great already. My biggest concern was that the hallways seems a bit cramped. The open areas with the belt etc are fine, but the hallways and the udmg room are tight. Reminded me of Focus a lot but that could just be the same texture being used haha.
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Yep, really good work Trinatek! I played it a few times against bots and like the flow and the many shortcuts/twist-ways which allows one to get quickly behind an enemy player again which was following you.

Also the usage of different colors in the lightnight provides quick orientation within the map. Keep on going with this one, it will become a keeper! More feedback will come after more games in it ..

Comment

Because the double damage is under the shield belt, it's very easy to win the shield belt and then own the double damage, and it's a very short effort to control the armor after that if one wants to.
        I'm not a very competitive player, so I'm not sure if that's good in the metagame or not, but it seems sketchy. (Bots are also terrible at jumping up to the dd.)

My favorite part is the jump boots being so important in the map, or at least how the bot I was fighting would abuse them constantly and the walls are high enough to accommodate it. There was a bug where sometimes the jump boots would send me three or four times the normal height and that was even better!

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
          Because the double damage is under the shield belt, it's very easy to win the shield belt and then own the double damage, and it's a very short effort to control the armor after that if one wants to.
          I'm not a very competitive player, so I'm not sure if that's good in the metagame or not, but it seems sketchy. (Bots are also terrible at jumping up to the dd.)
          I thought about that too. Competitively speaking, players time items very well so I would think it wouldn't be a huge problem (think DM-Deck). That said, it'll be very hard to know without seeing some actual play testing ><

The bots being terrible at jumping to DD is the least of my worries though
          , Twitch

Comment

Looks sexy
            http://www.youtube.com/DrewTangNYC
            http://www.twitch.tv/drewtang

Comment

Looks like a cool layout. Nice BSP work also. Puttin' it on the hub...
              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Took a quick runaround and I could see this map play well in Team Showdown. Loque will put it onto the ut4.eu hubs on friday for us to try. I have a few points though (completely from a team showdown standpoint):

- Too few spawnpoints. Would be nice if there were more spawnpoints to choose from.
                - A way to get the redeemer(which will be replaced by invisibility in Team Showdown) would be nice. Even if its a long one.
                - around 3 "Objective"-placeholders around the map (example can be seen on DM-Temple above the Link-Gun spawn. or below the sniper rifle where the jumppads are) These will be used by Team Showdown to spawn the Overcharge. Otherwise it will be all over the place.

It would be perfect if you could do those things before we get it on the hubs to really test it with Team Showdown.
                http://www.twitch.tv/rePeteGG

Comment

Pretty significant map update for map flow purposes. The UT Editor bug is still present however, so the map file is still fairly large unfortunately (though not compared to some others right now). Once the bug is fixed, the map should be reduced to like 10-16MB I think.

Originally posted by rePeteGG View Post
                  Took a quick runaround and I could see this map play well in Team Showdown. Loque will put it onto the ut4.eu hubs on friday for us to try. I have a few points though (completely from a team showdown standpoint):

- Too few spawnpoints. Would be nice if there were more spawnpoints to choose from.
                  - A way to get the redeemer(which will be replaced by invisibility in Team Showdown) would be nice. Even if its a long one.
                  - around 3 "Objective"-placeholders around the map (example can be seen on DM-Temple above the Link-Gun spawn. or below the sniper rifle where the jumppads are) These will be used by Team Showdown to spawn the Overcharge. Otherwise it will be all over the place.

It would be perfect if you could do those things before we get it on the hubs to really test it with Team Showdown.
                  I never even considered Team Shodown when making this map to be honest so thanks for mentioning it. I took what you said to heart. I tried to reset some of the player starts and add some additional competitive ones... but I'll have to be honest. It was really difficult choosing spawns for the map in a way that would work both with Team Showdown as well as DM/TDM/LTS, etc.. I could possibly make two different versions of the map - one with Team Showdown spawns, and the other with normal spawns. Either way, if you could help give me some thoughts on possibly some better player starts do hit me up. You could PM me on IRC or message me on here.

The objective points have been properly placed into the map now at 3 locations, sorta in a triangle formation.

I also went back and by hand, tried to clean up the top down view of the map a little. It's difficult cleaning it up because UT (as far as I know) doesn't let you use an actual image file as that image (or it'd look really nice), but it does look much better than before at least.

Any other feedback would be awesome, petey. Also let me know if you at all want a version of the map without the text and stuff. The text of course is all temporary stuff meant to help newer players learn the map, but would be easily removable.

You can download the most current version of the map on the main thread. It's been updated. Tell me whatcha thank.
                  , Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Trinatek View Post
                    Pretty significant map update for map flow purposes. The UT Editor bug is still present however, so the map file is still fairly large unfortunately (though not compared to some others right now). Once the bug is fixed, the map should be reduced to like 10-16MB I think.

I never even considered Team Shodown when making this map to be honest so thanks for mentioning it. I took what you said to heart. I tried to reset some of the player starts and add some additional competitive ones... but I'll have to be honest. It was really difficult choosing spawns for the map in a way that would work both with Team Showdown as well as DM/TDM/LTS, etc.. I could possibly make two different versions of the map - one with Team Showdown spawns, and the other with normal spawns. Either way, if you could help give me some thoughts on possibly some better player starts do hit me up. You could PM me on IRC or message me on here.

The objective points have been properly placed into the map now at 3 locations, sorta in a triangle formation.

I also went back and by hand, tried to clean up the top down view of the map a little. It's difficult cleaning it up because UT (as far as I know) doesn't let you use an actual image file as that image (or it'd look really nice), but it does look much better than before at least.

Any other feedback would be awesome, petey. Also let me know if you at all want a version of the map without the text and stuff. The text of course is all temporary stuff meant to help newer players learn the map, but would be easily removable.

You can download the most current version of the map on the main thread. It's been updated. Tell me whatcha thank.
                    Oh wow, I already love you. Such a quick response with an updated version. Good work!

I am at work currently, but I will take a decent look once I get home today.

As for general feedback: I can give you feedback for high level duel and team showdown play. Not too much of a tdm/tam player. Are you in some discord channel, where I can reach you? Would be probably better if we could talk feedback instead of PMs.

About TSD (Team Showdown) in general: Zaccubus, fjaru, rawlph, nukkuj, Flikswich and me are mostly playing and promoting TSD and getting more and more people hooked . There will be cups soon aswell, so keeping it in consideration when mapping might be good.

About balancing spawnlocations for different gamemodes: I had this idea swirling around in my head for a while: Sidney uses some kind of blueprint magic on solo. It detects wether or not the gamemode is duel. And if it is duel, then the doors to the amp are locked. So I would guess you could use that aswell for spawnpoint. "Is gamemode TSD? --> Use this set of spawnpoints"-basically.
                    http://www.twitch.tv/rePeteGG

Comment

Originally posted by rePeteGG View Post
                      Oh wow, I already love you. Such a quick response with an updated version. Good work!

I am at work currently, but I will take a decent look once I get home today.

As for general feedback: I can give you feedback for high level duel and team showdown play. Not too much of a tdm/tam player. Are you in some discord channel, where I can reach you? Would be probably better if we could talk feedback instead of PMs.

About TSD (Team Showdown) in general: Zaccubus, fjaru, rawlph, nukkuj, Flikswich and me are mostly playing and promoting TSD and getting more and more people hooked . There will be cups soon aswell, so keeping it in consideration when mapping might be good.

About balancing spawnlocations for different gamemodes: I had this idea swirling around in my head for a while: Sidney uses some kind of blueprint magic on solo. It detects wether or not the gamemode is duel. And if it is duel, then the doors to the amp are locked. So I would guess you could use that aswell for spawnpoint. "Is gamemode TSD? --> Use this set of spawnpoints"-basically.
                      Haha, yeah no prob. I just want to know how to make the map better - or conversely to know whether or not I need to just scrap it and start a new project, or if I can eventually start working at possibly meshing it up. So any feedback is welcome.

Again the spawn-points/player-starts have been extremely difficult to do properly. And the map might or might not feel a bit small depending on how many players are in game. I fear it won't have enough weapons for TSD - though I haven't played TSD much.

Oh, I forgot to mention that at the moment the only way to get to the deemer/invisi is via boots.

Gotta sleep now though x_x
                      , Twitch

Comment

Brush work look **** nice!!!

It is advise to update the thread title when you release a new version so it is easier to know there is new version instead of someone as post something.

Will try it asap
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps
                        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

UPDATE

Pretty big update. Was able to compress the map down to 40MB (from 80MB) despite the current UT Editor bug. Have changed map flow quite a ton with the use of a teleport as well as breaking down a wall. The monitor screens may or may not be a bit tacky. I think if I end up meshing this map, I would be able to better pull all the elements together. Whether or not I attempt to mesh this map though is gonna depend on how it play tests. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The cluster of a ton of crates right now is absolutely temporary until I find something more effective. I hate that I needed to use them.
                          , Twitch

Comment

Ty Trinatek! Locked & Loaded onto the LoPing Arena server for your enjoyment.
                            LoPing
                            Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

LATEST UPDATE

- Was able to reduce the map size from 43.2MB even further down to 27.6MB.
                              - Finally did the first semi-proper lighting pass. Two comparison images provided below.
                              - Optimized the map a bit to squeeze some frames out of it for those individuals with potato computers although because of the lighting and effects that AMP has, it still doesn't like to play nice with stationary/dynamic lights.
                              - Slight modification to some architecture and minor tweaks.
                              - Removed the weapon/armor text labels that were previously there to help players learn the map.
                              - Took a quick video demonstrating how to more properly maneuver around certain parts of the map which will be provided below and in the original post too.

Lighting Comparison (Before & After)
                              [screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/amYoXaI.png[/screenshot][screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/65uQTSN.png[/screenshot]

Some maneuvers on the map for quicker movement

***** Again, any feedback would be mega-welcome. Thanks!
                              Last edited by Trinatek; 02-23-2016, 01:19 PM.
                              , Twitch

Comment

Working...
                              X