CTF-Candy Canyon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Candy Canyon

Remake I did of Sweet Sweet Canyon from Mario Kart 8.
    Figured it was time for a non-serious map.
    Two main lanes connect the bases with countless alt. routes.

What still needs done: Work on global lighting, a few bad textures, windmills, more trees, continue to tweak balance.

“I agree that this content constitutes a User Contribution under the Epic Games Terms of Service ( http://epicgames.com/tou )."
    Music license: Pixelland Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

MapRotation=C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Unreal Tournament Editor\Unreal Tournament\Content\CandyLand\CandyLand.umap
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-CandyCanyon-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/dsercs", PackageChecksum="888f78ceca4b220a4629ad1086d2f7b3")

Attached Files
    Last edited by dsercs; 02-13-2016, 08:01 PM.

Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

Straight out of Wreck It Ralph. Good onrk!
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Is UT not Mario Kart the Map is **** for UT

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
          You clearly have no idea what UT is about.

It looks awesome judging from the screens - can't wait to try it out!
          UT4 Server/HUB Query

Check out www.unrealriders.de for more information!

Comment

ich finde trotzdem das solche Maps nichts in UT zu suchen haben

Comment

do you know the unreal word? that is what ut defines, mix the ral and unreal life mate

Comment

Haha I like these kinds of funny maps.
                I downloaded the map, but it doesn't seem to be appearing in the map list. Has it been cooked with the latest UT build?
                I would keep a version number in the name of the map to prevent naming problems in the future and it will be easy to see which version you have.

This is just rude and not helpful constructive criticism .

It is CLEARLY stated that the map is not to be taken seriously.
                A lot of these kind of maps were made for the previous games, so I don't see why it may not be for this UT.
                Besides everyone may decide what they want to make for UT, that's part of the fun and is what custom content is for!
                Lastly if you don't like these kinds of maps then don't play them and let the people who like these kinds of map share their thoughts so the author can improve their maps.
                -Fn>Metalfist
                ---------------------
                CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | DeviantArt | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                  I downloaded the map, but it doesn't seem to be appearing in the map list. Has it been cooked with the latest UT build?
                  It is built with the latest UT build. However, the author renamed the pak file afterwards. This cannot be done, ever! Do not rename pak files unless you know what you are doing. The pak file itself is checking for the version file inside the pak file named after the pak file. Strange, but that's how the system works.

@dsercs
                  Save the map with a valid prefix, CTF-CandyCanyon. By cooking that map, you will get a pak file called CTF-CandyCanyon-WindowsNoEditor.pak. Share that without renaming it.

The map itself is a bit empty. Did you miss building lightning? Does the map contain any light sources?

PS: In the meantime while the author is fixing the map, you can rename the pak file back to "CandyCanyon-WindowsNoEditor.pak", open the console in the menu and enter "open CandyCanyon"
                  PPS: Adding a suffix to the pak file and avoiding the dash (-) works ("CandyCanyon-WindowsNoEditor_v1.0.pak"; e.g. for versioning) but I wouldn't recommend it. Saving the map with a semantic version number should be done instead.
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Thanks for the tip RattleSN4K3!

Some thoughts on the map thus far:
                    - Nice to see recognizable spaces from Mario Kart 8.
                    - Red flag is hard to find and obscured behind meshes. While the Blue flag is in the middle of the road, so I would suggest making that clearer, otherwise players get lost in the level. Keeping both flags on the road would be ideal.
                    - Spawn points were not set up logically (some red spawns at the blue flag for example or just placed in weird locations).
                    - Also bots didn't do anything (->build the navigation paths)
                    - Lots of jumps that could just not be made and snaggy edges. Paths outside of the main track should be more connected (without having to teleport/jump all the time).
                    - Music doesn't loop.
                    - I feel there should be a secret bonus pickup on top of the cake mountain (in the crown). Maybe do something with the cake as a building?
                    - The level design is now more of a race map atm, so it should be adjusted a bit more for CTF style of play.
                    - Mesh work in general should be a bit more cleaned up and I feel they are too low poly
                    - The material on the ribbons doesn't look good and you can get stuck in their collision if you jump in the middle of it
                    - Big lines of sight
                    -Fn>Metalfist
                    ---------------------
                    CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | DeviantArt | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

This could be great for any future vehicle race modes.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Looks hilarious! By the way, your map rotation path will not work. Another one of those quirks of the whole process is that you can truly only discover the correct path by playing the level and then checking the log. I will do that for you and report back.

*Edit* going to wait for a re-paked version with correct name.
                        Last edited by MΛuL; 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM.
                        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

**** it! I cant find anything sweet to eat

Seriously now, It would be a very interesting and possibly mind bending experience to play in a highly polished (graphically) map with this theme!
                          Maps:||DM-TournamentGrounds||CTF-TitanGuard||DM-RelentlessMachine||
                          Weapons:||Tridium Impaler||

Comment

Yes, along the lines of something like The Mean Greens: Plastic Warfare
                            -Fn>Metalfist
                            ---------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
                              Thanks for the tip RattleSN4K3!

Some thoughts on the map thus far:
                              - Nice to see recognizable spaces from Mario Kart 8.
                              - Red flag is hard to find and obscured behind meshes. While the Blue flag is in the middle of the road, so I would suggest making that clearer, otherwise players get lost in the level. Keeping both flags on the road would be ideal.
                              - Spawn points were not set up logically (some red spawns at the blue flag for example or just placed in weird locations).
                              - Also bots didn't do anything (->build the navigation paths)
                              - Lots of jumps that could just not be made and snaggy edges. Paths outside of the main track should be more connected (without having to teleport/jump all the time).
                              - Music doesn't loop.
                              - I feel there should be a secret bonus pickup on top of the cake mountain (in the crown). Maybe do something with the cake as a building?
                              - The level design is now more of a race map atm, so it should be adjusted a bit more for CTF style of play.
                              - Mesh work in general should be a bit more cleaned up and I feel they are too low poly
                              - The material on the ribbons doesn't look good and you can get stuck in their collision if you jump in the middle of it
                              - Big lines of sight
                              Thanks for the great feedback man!
                              I couldn't decide what to do with the red flag as I felt putting it on the road would leave it too exposed compared to the blue being behind the cake.
                              I'll probably get rid of the ribbons altogether, I wasn't too pleased with them either.
                              Spaced the nav paths completely.
                              If general consensus is to have most jumps be doable without teleporting, I'll fix that as well. My thinking behind that was that it would force the flag runner to stick to one of the main paths.
                              Wont have time to work on it this week with school and work but I'll get a fixed version out this weekend.

@RattleSN4K3,
                              Awesome, I wasn't aware that would impact the file! Just after I packaged the level I got a message from another user to use prefixes for the gamemode and added it in after. I'll correct this going forward with the map and versioning as well.
                              As for the lighting, I have a skylight, directional light, and some point lights. Not sure why this didn't show but the lighting is one thing I really want to work on with it.
                              The level is a bit empty still, in the next build I will be adding trees around the map - wanted to get feedback on the overall layout/theme before moving forward on that.
                              Last edited by dsercs; 02-15-2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X