CTF-Sinkhole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Sinkhole

CTF-Sinkhole is my very first map and has no relation to the one from UT3. Its a symmetrical medium sized CTF map with a castle theme. I'm very new to making maps and level design in general so any changes you would like to see or advice on how I could of done something better is appreciated.

CTF-Sinkhole-B9

Changelog 4-21-16 B9
    Flak/Jumpad room: Changed the exit into the alley to an angled one that points more out towards middle *Check Screenshots*
    Middle: Removed smoke effects and replaced with a height fog effect
    Entire map: Added both lightmass volume and navmesh (woo minimap)
    Designer notes: The height fog might have messed with your ability to see farther points in the map, feedback on this is very appreciated. I've also added music to the map finally, using Chasing Voids for the mean time. Bots aren't suggested at this point as the nav mesh won't let the bots walk on the wood portions of Flak room and even the ramp to pick up the link gun.

Old Changelogs

Spoiler

To do list or known issues:
    Possible issue of not being able to easily identify what side of the map you are on from inside buildings (improved in B7, could use more work for the time being I think its good)
    Overall map flow
    pickup balancing (maybe?)

Server Admin:
    Dir: /Game/ctf-sinkhole/CTF-Sinkhole-B9
    URL: https://ut.rushbase.net/Brando/Maps/...wsNoEditor.pak
    checksum: 868576cfb31c83a978f5cfc74be97919

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RescueTeamYoshi; 04-21-2016, 08:07 PM. Reason: New Version B9
    CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

I havent played it or downloaded it yet, but ill try and check it out later tonight. However from the pictures it looks like you have a lot going on in this map. I think the map might be too complicated, I could very easily see a flag carrier hiding out for days in that map before someone finds them. You have so many places where the line of sign can be broken and that makes it very hard to follow a flag runner or player you are chasing.
    PayBack
    Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
    Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
    UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
    UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

right, the thought of the flag runner hiding didn't really cross my mind. Thanks for the feedback.
      CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

Changed DL link to current version, sorry everyone!
        CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B2 released, change log is in the initial post

Edit: Several Sloppy mistakes found, expect a re-upload of B2 later on today

Edit2: sloppy mistakes have been fixed and the DL link now directs to the new version
          Last edited by RescueTeamYoshi; 03-15-2016, 10:40 PM. Reason: I'm bad
          CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B3 release, change log is in the initial post

I think I'm going to sit and let this version stew for a bit and get some feedback rather than try and fix silly geometry issues that don't cause serious gameplay problems.
            Last edited by RescueTeamYoshi; 03-16-2016, 09:01 PM.
            CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B4 is out, really looking for feedback on middle this time around!
              CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B4a is out with some minor changes to the walls, I ended up redoing them again. Added some lighting effects to darker areas along with changing directional lighting for the map
                CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

Ok, first thoughts: I like the design you're going with in the map, you really try to incorporate new things, and I like the style you're going with.
                  I like how you've put in some interesting things (like the rafters that a flag carrier can hide on top, and the kill volume in the middle), though the middle part may need something more suggestive of "you will die if you go here", like lava or goo

Most of the problem lies in how cramped it is, and the lack of options that flag runners can take: for example, your flag area is quite closed, and the jump-pad reaching the flag makes it easy for defenders to land prediction shots, and set up bio webs.
                  Try to create less corners that a flag carrier could back into, such as the corridor near the flak cannon and and jump-pad, where you have both entrances to the corridor away from end wall

As for suggestions, I have a few:
                  Firstly, try to break up the line of sight a little in the courtyard, you could perhaps build a structure around the shield belt, this would give flag runners more of an option, instead of just going left or right
                  Secondly, move down the outer entrance to the flag so that you can shield jump in without going around, you'll notice in maps such as titan-pass, flag runners sometimes use the shield as a short-cut to save precious time (and waste their hp)
                  Third, try to make the transitions between first and second floor a bit smoother, I count 1 way up without a translocator, you could perhaps put in a ramp next to the lift to get you up, or perhaps some exposed rubble for a slightly riskier ascent
                  Perhaps make the arrow holes in the sides slightly wider and fewer? a cheeky defender, or someone wanting to escape a battle may want to translocate through, and while this is already a possibility, its quite difficult without stopping to aim first.
                  It would be nice if you could use the lift to lift jump inside the flag area, adding another avenue of entry too.

Thats all from me for now, most of what I put is just suggestions for what I think would make the map play better, but what it really needs right now is less tight corners that you can get stuck in without a trans, and a little more going on in the middle so it doesn't just become a dead zone.
                  Looking forward to your next iteration, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTheF4rth View Post
                    Ok, first thoughts: I like the design you're going with in the map, you really try to incorporate new things, and I like the style you're going with.
                    I like how you've put in some interesting things (like the rafters that a flag carrier can hide on top, and the kill volume in the middle), though the middle part may need something more suggestive of "you will die if you go here", like lava or goo

Most of the problem lies in how cramped it is, and the lack of options that flag runners can take: for example, your flag area is quite closed, and the jump-pad reaching the flag makes it easy for defenders to land prediction shots, and set up bio webs.
                    Try to create less corners that a flag carrier could back into, such as the corridor near the flak cannon and and jump-pad, where you have both entrances to the corridor away from end wall

As for suggestions, I have a few:
                    Firstly, try to break up the line of sight a little in the courtyard, you could perhaps build a structure around the shield belt, this would give flag runners more of an option, instead of just going left or right
                    Secondly, move down the outer entrance to the flag so that you can shield jump in without going around, you'll notice in maps such as titan-pass, flag runners sometimes use the shield as a short-cut to save precious time (and waste their hp)
                    Third, try to make the transitions between first and second floor a bit smoother, I count 1 way up without a translocator, you could perhaps put in a ramp next to the lift to get you up, or perhaps some exposed rubble for a slightly riskier ascent
                    Perhaps make the arrow holes in the sides slightly wider and fewer? a cheeky defender, or someone wanting to escape a battle may want to translocate through, and while this is already a possibility, its quite difficult without stopping to aim first.
                    It would be nice if you could use the lift to lift jump inside the flag area, adding another avenue of entry too.

Thats all from me for now, most of what I put is just suggestions for what I think would make the map play better, but what it really needs right now is less tight corners that you can get stuck in without a trans, and a little more going on in the middle so it doesn't just become a dead zone.
                    Looking forward to your next iteration, good luck!
                    Hey man, thanks for the feedback! All of these sound like some really good ideas and I'll try to see how to implement them into the map. Specially that lift jump into the flag area one, sounds cool.
                    CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B5 is out, change log in initial post!

Slowly making progress on making less hiding spots on the map along with other things.
                      CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B5a is out, just some minor bsp issues causing seams were fixed
                        CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

B6 is out! Running out of things to add/change in the map so any feedback is very appreciated! Meshing/lighting pass soon? maybe?
                          CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

I'm amazed to see that you've taken almost all of my suggestions into account!

I did a small test-run on the map, and I can happily say that the cramped space is looking far better
                            I've looked at your to-do list to make sure I'm not repeating what you already know (definitely add team colours into bases for less confusion)

Flow
                            try to get a feel for the possible paths of your map by picking up the enemy flag and returning as soon as possible with/without the hammer.
                            The main idea is: if there's ever an area where you dodge but don't quiet seem to get where you want to get, or seem to hit too many walls (which breaks flow), then you can change that area (resize the door or something) so that the combination is possible
                            For example, in titan pass when you get the flag, you can dodge from the podium onto the adjacent wall, then dodge down into the gate, thus scaling 1/4 of the map in the better part of a second.

In terms of your map, imagine taking the jump-pad, then as you grab the flag, you slide into the balcony, dodge onto the adjacent wall, get the shield belt, dodge to the more cramped (and thus shielded) side of the belt, then slide back up to the jumppad to cap the flag
                            This of course works(although you may want to spice it up a bit with more available ramps). But some paths lead you to dead(ish) ends. For example:

You translocate through the lift-side slit into the flag room, slide out of the door, and then what? the sliding grate is the wrong distance in terms of dodges to slide under without walking a small amount, the large grate leading to the open is a deathwish, especially with that block stopping a flag carrier getting back to shelter, and the room forms a sort of Z pattern that takes some circumvention to get out of (which will become rox city if the FC is stupid enough to try going that way)

None of this is inherently wrong, in fact, a map that flows too easily will result in too many captures, and become overpowered. However, you may want to take into account how a person skilled at movement may want to escape to his own base.

Thats all I could think of for now! I hope that my reply to this bumps up the thread slightly so that a server admin will put it up and I can play the map against other people. But until then I look forward to seeing the updates.
                            P.S. I really like your idea! don't be discouraged by the lack of replies, as your map becomes more interesting and closer to finishing, more people will filter in with their own good suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTheF4rth View Post
                              I'm amazed to see that you've taken almost all of my suggestions into account!

I did a small test-run on the map, and I can happily say that the cramped space is looking far better
                              I've looked at your to-do list to make sure I'm not repeating what you already know (definitely add team colours into bases for less confusion)

Flow
                              try to get a feel for the possible paths of your map by picking up the enemy flag and returning as soon as possible with/without the hammer.
                              The main idea is: if there's ever an area where you dodge but don't quiet seem to get where you want to get, or seem to hit too many walls (which breaks flow), then you can change that area (resize the door or something) so that the combination is possible
                              For example, in titan pass when you get the flag, you can dodge from the podium onto the adjacent wall, then dodge down into the gate, thus scaling 1/4 of the map in the better part of a second.

In terms of your map, imagine taking the jump-pad, then as you grab the flag, you slide into the balcony, dodge onto the adjacent wall, get the shield belt, dodge to the more cramped (and thus shielded) side of the belt, then slide back up to the jumppad to cap the flag
                              This of course works(although you may want to spice it up a bit with more available ramps). But some paths lead you to dead(ish) ends. For example:

You translocate through the lift-side slit into the flag room, slide out of the door, and then what? the sliding grate is the wrong distance in terms of dodges to slide under without walking a small amount, the large grate leading to the open is a deathwish, especially with that block stopping a flag carrier getting back to shelter, and the room forms a sort of Z pattern that takes some circumvention to get out of (which will become rox city if the FC is stupid enough to try going that way)

None of this is inherently wrong, in fact, a map that flows too easily will result in too many captures, and become overpowered. However, you may want to take into account how a person skilled at movement may want to escape to his own base.

Thats all I could think of for now! I hope that my reply to this bumps up the thread slightly so that a server admin will put it up and I can play the map against other people. But until then I look forward to seeing the updates.
                              P.S. I really like your idea! don't be discouraged by the lack of replies, as your map becomes more interesting and closer to finishing, more people will filter in with their own good suggestions
                              Thanks for the detailed feedback! I'll certainly try to take your thoughts into consideration as I move forward. I'm pretty happy with what I have now so anything that makes the map better I'll definitely try. I'll start centering my updates around flow from now on.
                              Last edited by RescueTeamYoshi; 04-06-2016, 06:20 AM.
                              CTF-Sinkhole | DM-Alpine

Comment

Working...
                              X