Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP CTF – Life and Death Map (Now Playable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] WIP CTF – Life and Death Map (Now Playable)

Title of map:

Download

CTF-Life_and_death_V17 - Capture the flag game mode

DM-Life and Death V7 - Deathmatch game mode

Instructions - Add the .pak file in Documents/UnrealTournament/Saved/Paks/MyContent

*notice*

If this does not work then place the files in this location: c:/programfiles/epicgames/unrealtournamentdev/unrealtournament/content/paks

Changelog (9.6.16)

Updated CTF game mode (version 17):

-Moved the rocket launcher and stinger minigun
    -Slight change to the side bases
    -changed the size of the central pillars
    -Added a Secret Area

Updated DM/TDM game mode (version 7):

-changed the spawn points on the map (subject to change)
    -Added secret areas
    -fixed a blocking volume issue

Changelog (30.5.16)

-Added DM-Life_and_Deathv5 map
    -Added images of DM-LIfe_and_Death_v5

Changelog (26.5.16)

-Changed the introduction
    -Map available to download
    -Added screenshots of map
    -Updated information about the map
    -Buff removed from CTF game mode
    -Buff now added to TDM game mode
    -Added CTF Map Images

Introduction:

I am currently in the process of making a multiplayer map. The theme I am going for is an Aztec one which will be mixed with a dark environment. The dark environment will have a future setting but with blend of the Aztec culture. The map in general is a conflict with the future and the past and this is the idea I am looking for.

Original post:

"I am currently in the process of making a multiplayer map. The theme I am going for is an Aztec one which will be mixed with a dark environment. What that dark environment is I do not yet know, but what I was thinking is to add a style that is similar to the Twilight Realm from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess."

Backstory:

With the Aztec people under threat from strangers from another land, they are forced to live by their rules. The land is split in half as the constant struggle for dominance continues to escalate. The only hope for the Aztec people is a statue of great power that will grant untold power for the one that drinks the blood from it. But this blood can be drunk by both friend and foe, bringing forth yet another conflict in this troubled land.”

About the map:

This is a 6v6 CTF/TDM map that is inspired by CTF face and Coret. These maps are well known in the Unreal community and I want to create a map that offers their gameplay style and add it into my own map, but in an original way. Coret is one that I am most interested in, due to the fact that it was once a popular map. What I want get from this is to bring back a forgotten map style and give it a new leash of life."

Original post:

"This is a 4v4 CTF map that is inspired by CTF face and Coret. These maps are well known in the Unreal community and I want to create a map that offers their gameplay style and add it into my own map, but in an original way. Coret is one that I am most interested in, due to the fact that it was once a popular map. What I want get from this is to bring back a forgotten map style and give it a new leash of life."

Features:

· A multiplayer map that offers two different themes and blending them together.
    · The addition of a buff statue that the teams will fight for. (only in TDM)
    · A map that draws inspiration from the classics.

For my CTF map I wanted it to be a battle that feels like the classic CTF maps. The buff will only be available for the TDM mode since I feel it will work better there. In the CTF game mode there is a large key of health that will be useful for either the flag carrier or the attacking/defending team. There is also a Udamage power-up at the higher level, so one of your team members can assault the opponents base.

original post:

· A multiplayer map that offers two different themes and blending them together.
    · The addition of a buff statue that the teams will fight for.
    · A map that draws inspiration from the classics.

For my CTF map I wanted it to be a battle not on the flags, but also the buff. What this will lead too is the team thinking about new strategies and ways to get both the flag and the buff. In addition to this plan the map appearance also open up some planning. One half of the map contains health and the other weapons pick-ups. This will get the player to move around the map, but is that a god idea? Also is the Twilight Ream style a good idea? I’m thinking of another style to replace it, so if you have some suggestions I am happy to hear them.

Map Flow:

This is my map idea for the game mode. It is a simple map style, following the figure of 8 and drawing inspiration from CTF – Face. I decided to add some corridors, so the battle won’t just be in the centre and the tunnels for covering fire from the towers in the corners of the map. In my option I like the map idea, but does it also draw inspiration form the Coret map? If you have some suggestions I would love to hear them.

Original Map Images:

Original DM-Life and Death Images

Conclusion

This is the first time I have map a multiplayer map and I will be learning the techniques needed to create one. I did do some research about the Unreal community and I want to try my best to make a map they will enjoy. If you do have some other idea about the map or my own idea in general, feel free to send me a comment.

Thank you for reading this.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Liam_R; 06-13-2016, 02:32 PM. Reason: Updating my post

So I had a bit of trouble working out the map but I think I get it, if I've got it wrong, please say so and I'll alter my feedback accordingly

So the map certainly looks like it'll have that claustrophobic feeling that Coret was famous for, at least the old classic UT99 version! One thing I am confused about in the map layout is the presence of four capture points? I'm going to assume two of these are the flags and two are the return points? If I am correct it's going to create a lot of fighting around the central areas and that's a good thing, the cover there is a great idea that should keep the sniper play to a minimum, yet at the same time that cover may render the sniper positions pointless and under used. I'd ensure that line of sight from the SPs is good without giving the snipers too much to shoot. Also consider that you suggest the map is an 8 player? So I assume 4v4? With four towers you have the potential for half of your players to be camping out covering everything. A more sensible option would be to remove a from each side, ideally so the two left are diagonal from each other. However this is pure opinion and wouldn't mean anything until play testing has been done.

The tight corridors are a good idea and will force people to get up close and dirty with each other after the relative safety of the bases and open areas. Though be careful that those areas - much like the outdoor areas in fact - don't dominate the play experience. The best way to do this in my opinion on a map like this would to not be putting specific items on a half of the map as you suggested but instead to put weapons that perform best up close and dirty in the outdoor open area, and the weapons that work best at long range in the tight areas. This will force a through-flow of players moving across the map to get weapons. Also I would recommend not putting any health items anywhere near the sniper position, forcing them to come out of their perch from time to time and to give the teams a chance to break through. Again though this is opinion based wholly on a map drawing and some suggestions, this is all likely to change once the map gets blocked out and into play-testing!

When it comes to design the light\dark thing works well and is used frequently throughout UT3 with the class of human and alien tech in certain halfs of the map. Shouldn't be hard to expand on this, though how you'd make a dark\evil theme for an Aztec setting, I'm not wholly sure

In closing I'd say it's a good idea - on paper. The real test will be putting it all together in the real world and seeing if it all works out well. I'd be careful about putting too much emphasis on Coret's design ethos too. It's a map that was originally loved and played back in the classic UT days and I would argue that the transition to UT3 did it no real favours, the scale and weapon damage of UT3 combined with the maps narrow firing lanes didn't sit well with myself or most UT players I know... though again, that is pure personal opinion and you should take it with some salt ^^. Depending on what version of UT you're making this on, you may have to make sweeping design changed to suit the subtle differences in game play between engine version.

It's hard to give more info based on what you've given at the moment but as you do more I'd love to see it grow!

Comment

Thank you for the feedback, this is really good.

The capture points that you have mentioned are actually choke points. That is just a typo that I have made and I need to update the key. Those choke points do indeed add an element of close-quarters combat, but the map size and tower positions is something that I may have to work on. I will take your advice and have only one tower on both sides. It will reduce the amount of sniper points on the map, but it should make the map more immersive. I will have to test it to see what I will get.

I am happy you like the idea of the tight corridors and their function. In my opinion, I wanted to put certain weapons on one side on the map, so that both team will know where they are and a fight will occur there. I also did it as more of an cosmetic approach too, like the dark area is full of danger and so the killers weapons will go there. But your suggestion is really good, having the close-range weapons outdoors and the sniper in the corridors will indeed give my through-flow that you have mentioned. I will also change the positions of the health items as well. I am thinking of putting them in the central area, but I may need to test this out first so I can get an idea flowing.

Picking the Aztec theme setting is indeed a tricky one, but I may have found a way of making the light and dark setting work. Below is an image of a ruin futuristic city, which was created by one of the artist of Deviant Art. I really liked what the artist did here and it has given me an idea of how I want the dark area to look. By keeping to the visual appearance and changing the anesthetics a bit, this will be the ideal theme for my dark area. On top of that it adds to the struggle of the two sides that I have mentioned in the backstory, one side being modern and the other keeping to the old ways.

I know that there are some more information I need to add on this post. I need to show off the lower levels and add in a 3D view of the map. By doing that it will make my map idea a bit more clear and you will get a better understanding of the functions. I will take your advice and try not to make the map look too much like Coret. I have seen the map itself and their are a lot of tight corridors. In my opinion it kinda looks a bit confusing too. I will get add more information added to this post once I have further developed my map.
      Attached Files

Comment

Update

CTF-Life and Death is now available for download. At the moment I only have the CTF one, but the TDM will be done soon.

Enjoy the map and feel free to give me some feedback.

Comment

Update

DM-Life_and_Death_v5 is now available for download. Feel free to send me some feedback for my map. This game mode can also be played on the Team Deathmatch format as well.

Comment

Havent played it, but just looking from the pictures you posted my biggest concern is that the map is 100% symmetrical. Each base is a mirror of each other and so is the middle. It doesnt matter which way you return the flag, its the same path and same obstacles. That sort of map making was fine back in UT99 and UT2K4 to some extent, but now its a staple of a quality map to have different routes.
            PayBack

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. My main idea was to mix the classic maps with the modern ones, but it is a lot harder than it sounds. I was also supposed to add in another style to make this map less symmetrical, but it will be more of a cosmetic approach. But at least the map does indeed connects to the classic maps.

I jst go to try to make the gameplay feel more modern.

Comment

For the DM Map:

Honestly it's okay! the map is a bit tight and confined with lotsa long and narrow corridors. Means the Flak Cannon is king and makes for some easy shots but ultimately is okay. I'd consider moving it to where you have the Mega Healthy atm. The flow of the map is good, lots of access routes and ways through from almost anywhere else on the map. This is good, means you feel like you always have an option to get across the map. The spawn points for weapons are good aside from the one mentioned above but that might just be personal taste. When it comes to bot spawns, they all seem decent enough though I did have a hostile bot spawn RIGHT next to me at one point. Also the upper level of the map seems really underused. It feels much better as a TDM rather than a DM by the way, may want to make that clear

CTF Mode:

It seems good to me! Feels like a very intense small CTF from classic UT99, which the person above says it's a bad thing, I personally say that's a good thing. But I am a huge fan of UT99 over the rest The rocket launcher right at the start is an interesting touch but has a series of knock on effects: First it means everyone is inclined to be aggressive with such a potent weapon. Secondly because everyone has access to such a powerful weapon right at the start, it means most of the map is underused. It seems easier to just rush the enemy base head on and try and kill the enemy and hem them in until it's a good time to rush the flag with a Translocator jump up to it then a mad dash straight back down the middle. This means the two side areas underused and the lower tier won't be touched unless someone falls down there. The top tier may as well not be there. Even with the alternative side routes available, the weapon choice right at the start of the map just renders it all moot.

However I would argue that for the CTF version, simply closing off the side areas and making it an aggressive action packed rush map similar to Facing Worlds is a perfectly valid choice.

Fun map!

Comment

Thank you for your feedback

The DM map is for TDM, it is just that the game only reconise the DM naming convention. I am happy that you enjoyed the TDM map and I have noticed that the spawn points do not work right in this game mode. I might have to make a blueprint to fix this problem. For the flank cannon, I put it at the side bases so that the players can use it right away at the small corridors. But that weapon placement was only for the CTF map and I never really thought of putting it in the centre of the map. I will est that position out to see if it changes the map. I will also take a look at the top level, like you have mentioned. The bots should be using that area because there is a U-damage power-up there.

For the CTF, I am happy you like it. It is nice to that you like the classic map style, because that is the structure I was going for in the map, but I also want it to connect to the modern players. The rocket launcher position does dramatically change the play-style of the map and I too feel like the other weapons are under used because of that powerful weapon. I will be sure to change its position in the next build. I am also happy that you compare it to Facing worlds because that is the kind of play style I am going for in the map. Good to see that I am ticking the right boxes for a classic map style.

Comment

Update

In this update I have done some changes to the maps, with thanks from my peers and community.

CTF changes

-Moved the rocket launcher and stinger minigun
                    -Slight change to the side bases
                    -Added a Secret Area

CTF Images

DM/TDM Changes

-changed the spawn points on the map (subject to change)
                    -Added secret areas
                    -fixed a blocking volume issue

DM/TDM Images

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X