• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-CyberMall [Playable]

Map pak download

CTF-CyberMall

Hi there,

This is a map I have in the works.

I have been working on this for several weeks and it has gone through several design iterations in private playtests.

This version I feel is good enough for public testing!

Thanks!

Description

The aim of this project is to produce a Cyberpunk themed Mall Capture the Flag map for Unreal Tournament.

The main aims of the map are to create a balanced gameplay experience and bring back the Cyberpunk theme to Unreal Tournament.

Backstory

The 'Story' of the map is that it is a Cyberpunk Mall set in the 2291 era of Unreal Tournament.

The players could be fighting over the spoils of abandoned store stock, or trying to acquire the place as a base of operations for their gang (the opposing team being the rivals).

Layout

The layout is trying to emulate old school maps such as Facing Worlds, Deck 16 and Liandri Core with a focus on gameplay and balance.

The layout has the symmetry of Facing Worlds some of the the vertical play of Deck and an arena type central area like Liandri Core.

Top-down view just for a kind of overview of the map as a whole.

‚Äč

Concept Art

I made a quick paintover concept, just to get a feel for how it might look when fully arted.

Have fun and thanks for looking!

Thanks for looking!

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).
    Last edited by Pawwzie; 06-11-2016, 08:38 PM.

Hey there!

So honestly I really like the idea of the map, capturing the gameplay of two of the most timeless maps in the UT franchise is an admiral but challenging feat, and you have managed to capture the feel of both maps in the 3D layout already, so that's good!

I will say one of the things that made Facing Worlds a good map was the risk and challenge of crossing the open ground down the centre, with only two paths that lead to a mega health directly in the middle, on a raised patch of land that exposed you to fire from every location on the map. Was it worth the risk of crossing across to the opposite path to grab that or push on forward and leave the health for your carrier? It looks like you've wanted to create a similar choke point around the middle area? If that's the case I would suggest removing the high walls from the sides that lead down into the base and leave that centre area totally exposed. It makes things riskier for your flag runners, makes crossing that central no-mans-land all the harder and removes choke points. Remember fighting inside the tower doorways in Face? I'd say most of the deaths happen getting in and out, and if you want that as part of your maps game play, I would say you're best putting the choke point just before the flag room.

You also manage to keep the subtle verticality of the central map area of Face's gentle rolling hill by taking design elements from Deck, and I think that's genuinely rather clever! I can see the Transponder being just as essential in this map as it was in Facing Worlds classic! I will say however that this is a map that is most certainly suited to the old school style of CTF, it won't really make an especially engaging DM map in my opinion though perhaps TDM may work better.

In closing I can see this being an excellent map that will have it's own design and gameplay challenges, the biggest of which to me looks like it's going to be weapons. Be exceptionally careful about what weapons you place on the map and where. I'm honestly finding it hard to think of more negatives! good luck and be sure to show us the block out soon!

Comment

This looks fun. I'm getting a Hall of Giants vibe from the layout.

Comment

Here are some google images to help solidify a concept for you!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Art-wise, you want a deep contrast between Pinks and Cyans, with highly vertical structures forming almost 'man-made crystal' structures. Keep the visibility of the play area bright and ensure to add contrast by darkening things outside the play area for artistic sake. Red and Blue bases have excellent opportunity for adding variety if you allow one end of the 'mall' to be closed, and the other to be open, and leverage the signage for the shops to literally name the areas the players are in.

This looks like an awesome idea. can't wait to see more.

Comment

Updated with map pak download!

Comment

Cool Map when begining you meshed?

Comment

Okay so I just tried out this map and you know what? I honestly think once this is finished its easily good enough to be in the core Unreal Tourbament 4 as an example of a classic map in the new engine and to prove the gameplay still holds up.

I'm honestly struggling to find negatives to say about it such is my enjoyment of this map. It feels like a perfect blend of Deck, Liandri Core and even a little bit of Face mixed in for good measure. The weapon placement is varied enough so that you move around and use the whole area, health is placed in nice 'risky' areas and everything has a risk/reward associate with it. Especially love the Mega Health in the centre! The bots seem to put up a decent challenge and I like the commanding lanes of fire from the sniper areas and the obvious cearful consideration of their fire lanes. The subtle balance in design we haven't seen since face.

While the symetrical single route CTF might be considered 'dated' in this day and age I genuinly think this map is a reminder of what Unreal SHOULD be. What it's always been and why the new map design post UT 2004 has strayed us further and further away from the core UT experience. This map corrects all this and drags UT's core gameplay back into focu: Intense action, pure gun play, and none of the extraneous map or character design that plagues so many maps and shooters these days.

I want to see this finished. This is easily one of the best maps for UT4 right now. Please see it through.

(Sent from a phone, please excuse typing!)

Comment

Played a few rounds last night, and yeah, it's pretty solid. Good job!

If I have to offer one critique, it's that the sniper rifle might be a touch too strong. There are a few places where you can almost see across the entire map. This is ok in Facing Worlds, because the run itself is relatively short. Unless you go the lower route in your map, there are incredibly long periods of time where you are completely exposed.

I feel like this will pigeonhole human players into taking only the lower routes.

Comment

Originally posted by earn504 View Post
                  This looks fun. I'm getting a Hall of Giants vibe from the layout.
                  Thanks! I'm going for that kind of classic UT99 style map!

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                  Here are some google images to help solidify a concept for you!

This looks like an awesome idea. can't wait to see more.
                  Thank you! I hope you play/like my blockout version at least! I hope to start art/mesh after some balance passes.

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                  Cool Map when begining you meshed?
                  Thanks, I hope to start art/mesh after some balance feedback. This will probably be my summer project!

Originally posted by LilPika View Post
                  Okay so I just tried out this map and you know what? I honestly think once this is finished its easily good enough to be in the core Unreal Tournament 4 as an example of a classic map in the new engine and to prove the gameplay still holds up.

Intense action, pure gun play, and none of the extraneous map or character design that plagues so many maps and shooters these days.

I want to see this finished. This is easily one of the best maps for UT4 right now. Please see it through.
                  Thanks for the kind words! I hope to see this through to a final map with full art/mesh!

Originally posted by Antnee83 View Post
                  Played a few rounds last night, and yeah, it's pretty solid. Good job!

If I have to offer one critique, it's that the sniper rifle might be a touch too strong. There are a few places where you can almost see across the entire map.
                  Thanks! Any balance concerns and feedback are welcome! Could you give specifics, maybe attach some screenshots of where your concerns lie? I hope these can be addressed with some map fluff, such as signs or decorations impeding lines of sight to make it a little more of a similar gamble between the two paths.

Thanks all for the feedback and I hope you have enjoyed playing the current blockout and continue to support my efforts in creating this map!

Comment

This is the view from just before the shield belt on the ledge. There is basically no cover at all, and the best route by far is to hug the lower path close to the wall.

From slightly to the left of the flag base. If you shift a little to the left, you can see through to the enemy base.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Antnee83 View Post
                      This is the view from just before the shield belt on the ledge. There is basically no cover at all, and the best route by far is to hug the lower path close to the wall.

From slightly to the left of the flag base. If you shift a little to the left, you can see through to the enemy base.
                      Ah, thanks for these!

I think possibly I could create some cover from this upper platform with some shop signage, or re-design this area. I think it's quite a good secret, but possibly might be worth changing. Do you think the shield belt would be missed if I removed this area?

The second one, argh! I thought I had made those walls wide enough to avoid this! A slight adjustment should eliminate it!

Thanks for the feedback, this has really helped!

Comment

These are just my opinions, so I'd get consensus before you actually change anything.

I think possibly I could create some cover from this upper platform with some shop signage, or re-design this area. I think it's quite a good secret, but possibly might be worth changing. Do you think the shield belt would be missed if I removed this area?
                        I feel like the shield belt might work better in a more centralized area, where opposing teams can fight over it. As it is, it's not really a secret. You can clearly see a ledge when you grab the sniper rifle, and instantly my thought was "ledge overlooking entire area, that's where I'll hang".

Comment

You should look to what gooba was making (ctf-oni). It's really cool stuff if you enjoy that cyberpunk vibe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pMr5rl6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	345875
                          work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Hey man, really awesome map, was inspired to do a quick paintover. Might give you some ideas for lighting, mood, and materials. Hope it's of any help but if anything was fun to do!

Attached Files

Comment

I'm liking the map, and when it's fleshed out it should look great.

My main concern is that it may just be a bit big. Whether this is down to my ineptitude or the excessive number of bots, I found it quite hard to actually capture the flag. With more players it's harder to cap but with fewer players then the map is a vast empty space.

Comment

Working...
                              X