CTF-Sludgebox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Sludgebox

Hello, future friends! I've been playing Unreal Tournament since about 2004-2005 (UT99) and it made my childhood a lot of fun! When I heard UT4 was going to come out and that it would be developed with the community, I saw it as an opportunity to start making maps myself, something I had wanted to do for a long time but couldn't since I was too young and unevolved to comprehend how making a map with the Unreal Engine worked (and that is why I chilled in Warcraft 3 World Editor for years)

For my first map, I wanted to do something small and simple so I could get used to all the zillions of features the engine has. I looked through some of the map creation tutorials that are linked on the launcher and got an idea of how I should proceed.

Without further babbling, I present CTF-Sludgebox:

Image 1: Blue Team

Spoiler

Image 2: Red Team

Spoiler

Image 3: The Bridge

Spoiler

Image 4: The Upper Bridge

Spoiler

Image 5: Sniper Balcony

Spoiler

You can't see any actual weapons or powerups visibly chilling around because I have no idea how to make them visible while taking pictures in the editor.
    Also, sorry about the huge images, I didn't see any option to reduce/wrap size and am too excited about posting this to take the time to search, so spoilers it is!

The maps is a pretty small CTF map (possibly too small) meant for teams of 2-4 players (IMO 3v3 works best) with two paths that can take you to the enemy flag.

Path NR 1 is the lower bridge, surrounded by that disgusting sludge which kills you in less than three seconds unless you somehow get lucky enough to get out in time. That path is relatively narrow and very susceptible to snipers. It is also susceptible to Bio Rifle attacks from above (more on that later). The below bridge is the quickest way to get to the enemy flag, virtually direct, and it also has the benefit of Shield Belt access, which should provide good cover against snipers and accidental slips into the death pool.

Path NR 2 is the upper bridge. To access the upper bridge, one must climb their base's stairs (which lead to the sniper balcony on the left and the upper bridge on the right). In the cylinders you can see depicted above is a Jump-Pad that throws you right up on one of those hexagons. The cylinder also happens to be bottomless, so be careful where you walk! Once you end up on the hexagonal platform, the next step is to jump on the transparent glass bridge, which leads you to a few things:
    - A Bio Rifle and Bio Ammo in the center of the bridge, on two separate platforms, which you can then use to block the lower bridge with disgusting explosive goo or dissolve your enemies if they happen to be at the top too. It also works well against players on the sniper balcony.
    - A UDamage right below the bridge which is a little bit tricky to get to, but you always know when it is spawned due to the bridge's transparency.
    - The enemy base. The same way you got up there, the same way you can infiltrate the enemy base. Just jump into the enemy cylinder and keep pressing forward and that lands you in the corridor instead of on the Jump-Pad or in the goo.

The disadvantage of the upper bridge is that you can easily fall down into the sludge pool and it's hard to strafe around and dodge bullets/balls.

Each flag is very close to the sludge pool and can be dangerous to get for a player with no basic air control over his own character. Once the player has the flag, he can jump on the Jump-Pad very close to the flag and be instantly thrown back on the platform from which he descended, between the green hexagonal hole and the expensive golden stairs.

Spawn points are on the weird suspended platform that looks like a Battlecruiser from Starcraft 2. The reasoning behind creating that platform for spawn points is as follows:
    - Enemy players can't reach it, so it provides a good place to defend the flag
    - The platform isn't very well protected so the spawn point can be dangerous. The corridor which leads to a Link Gun, and ultimately to falling into your own base, does have protective walls but they block the view of the flag.

The map is mostly symmetrical, aside from a few decorative features and the following:
    - One UDamage in the center of the map
    - One Shield Belt in the center of the map
    - Bio Rifle and Bio Ammo at the top.

The available weapons:
    - 1x Bio Rifle
    - 2x Sniper Rifle
    - 1x Link Gun (still need to figure out how to make it infinitely available)

I like games that have jumping puzzles, so in a way this map is a huge jumping puzzle with the other option of getting shot in the face!

I'm currently about to start finding out how to get bots to work, which is likely to be my last major addition to the map.

I would looooove to get feedback on the following things, but other things I may have missed, too! :
    - Beautifying the map. I really hate those sharp lines/corners but there's no perfect way to mask them. I've only used whatever generic materials I can find in the content browser and whatever pipes weren't messed up and had their physical form about 1000 miles away from the arrows used to move them.
    - Concept design. I'm applying to study Game Architecture & Design for September and would like to know what I could improve on that front.
    - Level design. Is the map way too small for a CTF game? Am I focusing too much on jumping?
    - Anything. Anything.
    "That woman, is a force of nature."
    - Rick referring to Carol (TWD)

"zillions of features" Haha! #relatable
    The upper bridge looks very good (in the 4th screenshot). Try bringing this style to the rest of the map.
    You can mask sharp edges with so called trims.What trims are indicates this screenshot:
    http://cityy.explicits.de/uploads/maps/ct3dm5/final/shot0177.jpg (here cityy defines edges with warning straps.)
    I dunno about Concept design much (consider myself a beginner too) however I feel that trying to draw a concept on a paper (You could use existing screenshots from your map) will help you a lot to learn how to create perspectives. Think of a map as a set of images, try to find the "key" images and compose them so they look good. A key image would be a point of view of a player who runs certain path. You made a thin bridge catwalk: Players will mostly look forward when crossing it, so that image would be a "key perspective" Each spot has several perspectives that players can see, if you are able to control them visually you will control players
    I dunno how large/small the map is because there is no scale reference on your screenshots. I am not sure about jumping too but I know I have read in one of the tutorials that players like dancing. What I learned myself is that players like dancing but not dancing to their death in the lava pit So perhaps making paths wider will make players stop paying attention to the map itself and begin focusing on the enemies!
    Anything: Good job, man. Try focusing on the brushwork (from the screenshots map boundaries look like large box) or blocking your level with meshwork if you prefer; You can filter your search in the engine by in the Content: "static mesh" and type pipe or door or wall. SM_Liandri walls are pretty **** nice I think avoiding long lines of sight is very important: If you let snipers see those guys who try to walk the catwalks there will be a mansloughter...
    For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
      "zillions of features" Haha! #relatable
      The upper bridge looks very good (in the 4th screenshot). Try bringing this style to the rest of the map.
      You can mask sharp edges with so called trims.What trims are indicates this screenshot:
      http://cityy.explicits.de/uploads/maps/ct3dm5/final/shot0177.jpg (here cityy defines edges with warning straps.)
      I dunno about Concept design much (consider myself a beginner too) however I feel that trying to draw a concept on a paper (You could use existing screenshots from your map) will help you a lot to learn how to create perspectives. Think of a map as a set of images, try to find the "key" images and compose them so they look good. A key image would be a point of view of a player who runs certain path. You made a thin bridge catwalk: Players will mostly look forward when crossing it, so that image would be a "key perspective" Each spot has several perspectives that players can see, if you are able to control them visually you will control players
      I dunno how large/small the map is because there is no scale reference on your screenshots. I am not sure about jumping too but I know I have read in one of the tutorials that players like dancing. What I learned myself is that players like dancing but not dancing to their death in the lava pit So perhaps making paths wider will make players stop paying attention to the map itself and begin focusing on the enemies!
      Anything: Good job, man. Try focusing on the brushwork (from the screenshots map boundaries look like large box) or blocking your level with meshwork if you prefer; You can filter your search in the engine by in the Content: "static mesh" and type pipe or door or wall. SM_Liandri walls are pretty **** nice I think avoiding long lines of sight is very important: If you let snipers see those guys who try to walk the catwalks there will be a mansloughter...
      Thanks for the trims idea!

The visual style is inspired from the UT99 map DOM-Metalworks (last domination campaign mission); I wanted something industrial and gross. Gameplay-wise, I remember one of my favorite Deathmatch maps from UT99, DM-Peak (last deathmatch campaign mission) and I liked how it had very tight bridges and paths, making it hard for the AI to dodge my **** but also making me fall into the light blue pit of death quite a few times. Combine that with the fact that I hate when people just jump around for fifteen minutes while you're trying to get a bullet in and the fact that movement seems to be much faster than on UT3 or UT99, I'm struggling getting used to the new speed and the fact that EVERYONE strafes, so this map is basically my dream of a place where I can actually hit people .

And you guessed right, the whole thing is pretty much in a large box! Is there any way I can chop it into small bits so that the texture doesn't seem too stretched out, but at the same time doesn't have any ugly lines showing up between geometry sides?
      "That woman, is a force of nature."
      - Rick referring to Carol (TWD)

Comment

I think every level designer creates maps that he/she would enjoy. Thats why they do mapping.

When it comes to your question:There are actually a few ways to do that:
        You could cover seams with a mesh (like pipe, a beam, perhaps a thin wall panel) or just brush that sticks out like a column or a beam.
        If you are using brushes you could copy and paste the texture data from one surface to another but this MIGHT also copy the whole brush so I would be careful with this one. You don't want to have two brushes overlapping each other.
        You don't have to close your map with the box. I would use a skybox. And if you feel like you want confined, closed space then I would place walls with panels such us: http://www.conradjustin.com/content/...oned/shot6.jpg
        then you don't rly need to worry about seams as panels and all generic futuristic textures have seams of their own. Simple tiles could work too.
        For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

This is really looking very good.
          You should be proud, mate!

Comment

Working...
          X