No announcement yet.

DM/TSD-Formidable (mapcore candidate)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM/TSD-Formidable (mapcore candidate)

04-07-2016

-Release Candidate submitted as final.

DOWNLOAD MAP/PAK FILE HERE

DOWNLOAD DESIGN DOCUMENT HERE

DOWNLOAD COMBINED PACKAGE HERE

The design document is heavy reading (recommend to download, and NOT preview as a web browser will not display the PDF properly) for those who want to read it. 19 Pages and 1,830 words...yikes - to be honest, I could have spent another week working on the document, and another month working on the map.

I suppose no one ever truly feels a map is finished, yet...I left it late as I could, and had all CPU core burning the liquid cooling deep into the 80 degrees section for a very long time...and nearly didn't make the deadline...I think I had 3- seconds to spare or something...phew!

Although I thank them profusely in the design document and over the phone, I simply must mention the efforts of "Morgue" who created the audio track for this level/map.

Details of his past work include the music for Carmageddon: Reincarnation and this map would not have the audio punch without him. Thank you again, sir!

Thanks to all and good luck for the next stages, it looks the quality of work produced is astounding!

Attached Files
    This map is too small!
    33.33%
    This map is too big!
    16.67%
    This map is just right!
    50.00%
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 07-04-2016, 03:37 PM. Reason: awesomeness
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Ty Mitch Mitchell! Loaded onto the <elusive> LoPing for your enjoyment.

Comment

Woow cool map i have now testet when release a Industrial setting?

Comment

Looks good man. I like the big window near the keg lighting up the room, I think that can go a long way to lighting the map. A couple things I noticed:

• There is a floating playerstart near the keg
        • The bots get stuck on the jumppad near the rocket. I think the trajectory shoots them into the side of the platform not on top of it
        • I can't tell if it's the first and second floor blending together but the Showdown spawn location map is just one big gray square. I think your navmeshvolume may be catching the top unplayable surface of your starting BSP block?
        • There are a couple of long lines of sight across the map where bots can snipe you, a couple columns here and there can help. Map size in general is good, it just may be a bit too open.
        • I think it could use some more health spawns too

Good luck
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Yeah, please fix the minimap! I don't know what the heck I'm doing when choosing spawns...

I agree with tidu on the map being too open. When you can hear the bots spamming enforcer at the beginning of each round, then something is definitely not right... While some columns and extra cover could help here, this may also have something to do with the spawn placement: I think the level needs more spawns (Bio looks completely isolated, at least in the minimap), and they should be all of them at similar distances from a weapon or powerup. Spawns next to Shock and RocketLauncher are way too close to a weapon compared to the other spawns, and Shock was hands down my personal favourite because you can easily grab Shock + Flak within a couple of seconds! I have the feel that the map tends to concentrate the action around Shock and Flak, so you might want to make it a little bigger by that zone and spread out the weapons a little more.

I think the map size is OK, but it wouldn't hurt to make it bigger as long as the new parts don't feel too disconnected. Dodgeramps are working perfectly for me. Reverb Volumes are not...

Good luck in the contest!
          DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
          My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
          My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Nice map, Mitch!

I wonder if its possible/would be better the adjust the two jumppads close to the sniper in a way they can also be used to jump backwards up to the sniper platform, and not only push you forward ahead. Maybe placing them even in the same angle like the ramps itself and adjusting the jump target a bit.

Comment

Oh, I get yah.

I'm thinking increasing the jump height and by doing so allowing player to flick-turn and WR backwards. Currently this can be done, but the height is too precise to the floor to make this easy.

I'm opening up the area above the SR which will make a little bit more flow at that level. The bots are making this look like a promising change and will update later if I'm happy with this.

Awesome comments so far guys and this is really helping me out to really mold this into a solid showdown level, but passable death match map also.

I keep thinking 120 seconds...that's the goal.
              Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

24-April-2016

Version one:-

-Altered Jump height of Pads.
                -Altered Spawns
                -Added pillars
                -Added platform above SR and moved SR to platform
                -Added another window for light and asthetics
                -Added ankle-high slit for lighting next to MG
                -Modified dimensions near Flak for movement
                -Added ledges near new SR location
                -Altered Ramp Sizes (width)
                -Increased GI.
                -Moved Sniper Rifle 50 units to improve flow off WR.

MAIN DOWNLOAD UPDATED.
                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Ty Mitch Mitchell! Reloaded & locked on the LoPing for your enjoyment.

Comment

Can you post some screens ? Away from PC for a few days and I that screenshot you have is just teasing me and I want to see more

Comment

Originally posted by JZAcH View Post
                      Can you post some screens ? Away from PC for a few days and I that screenshot you have is just teasing me and I want to see more

Updated main with the layout for you.
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

28-April-2016

Version two:

-Altered ceiling height in two areas near KEG
                        -Added and removed jumps, replacing them with lifts.
                        -General nips and tucks of BSP Geometry.

Not much else to do as for Showdown, this map is now pretty much perfect. So unless someone has serious objections, it will now be submitted...

Main link updated.

Big props again for the feedback.
                        Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Ty Mitch Mitchell! Reloaded onto the LoPing for your enjoyment.

Comment

11 MAY 2016

• Some meshing has now been done and, although there is some way to go, it is nice to see the LIandri assets working well with the lighting.
                            • Landscaping for the Nevada look is going well using the in game meshes, once the light hits them, they really look like grand canyon/death valley backdrops. Gonna see if I can stretch them vertically, and combine with some rocks and landscape tool-work.
                            • Been working with bots extensively and have added lots of wall dodges and lift exts, with wall dodges at very high points, affecting bots difficulty extensively - increasing the challenge.
                            • More ammo has been added as I felt the ammo runs dry and this extended the match length well beyond 120 second goal I have set the map to.
                            • Very happy with the pipework, so far and may have to make large extensions externally to add lots of pipework, as I really like it.
                            • Been on the chat for level design at Mapcore, which has been interesting.
                            • I have left more room on grid for an underpass, but feel for SHOWDOWN and my goal of 120 seconds (best of five x 120 seconds = 10 minutes) this would extend the level/map design into DeathMatch timing, and defeat the purpose of the overall design...lots of discussion on this point - doubt this will make it into the final design and would just create 'feature-creep' and negate the 'tightness' of what showdown is.

Main link updated.

The FOV of these shots are 90, but in-game I normally run much higher than this and the effect is certainly better.
                            Attached Files
                            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

... you are aware you just released and updated version of v3 that is already out there!? : (
                              http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
                              http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X