Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Maelstrom [Mapcore][Updated 11-13-16]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [PROTOTYPE] DM-Maelstrom [Mapcore][Updated 11-13-16]

    Map Name: DM-Maelstrom
    Current Version: RC3a
    Current Version Release Date: 11/12/16
    Download: HERE

    RC3a: Recook for latest build.

    RC3:
    Recook for the 4.14 UE update and other minor changes.

    RC1:
    This is the version I submitted to the Mapcore contest. Still has many issues and I need a new computer to be able to iterate on the lighting. Target was high fps and good player visibility. Next update will focus on a wider dynamic range on the lighting, custom mesh UV issues and figuring out why the rock material is incorrect after creating a pak.

    Server Settings:
    This is playable on the Unreal Carnage Hub already and can be downloaded by playing the map on there or using the "Download All Content" button in the Hub. Here's the info for other admins.

    I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula).

    Game.ini (RC3):
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Maelstrom_RC3a-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="redirect.playunreal.com/ut4/users/UnrealCarnage1ff0/DM-Maelstrom_RC3a-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="9eda21d6c359c32bd18d04ef8ff75fdc")
    Rules.ini:
    Code:
    CustomMapList=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Maelstrom_RC3a


    RC1 Screenshots:

















    Older:
    Alpha 1.11 Summary:
    This version has a significant change to the front of the castle and I added the redeemer in (which will be invisibility in Showdown of course).

    Alpha 1.9 Summary:
    I figured it was time for some "space castles"... This is a brand new shell I put together just for fun. A1.9 has some changes to tighten it up a bit so there's a bit more variation and a little less wide open ground. The sniper and amp have been swapped to allow for a TSD defense of the amp with the attacker needing boots as the second entry point.

    As to be expected, there are a bunch of things that need adjusting fixing. Keep in mind it is a very early WIP. Have fun!



    Attached Files
    Last edited by MΛuL; 11-13-2016, 11:40 PM.
    Unreal Carnage.com
    UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
    UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

  • #2
    Please get it on with Slain and have babies.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just from the screen shots, it looks like the ground level is a bit of a death trap. You have really high walls around most of the bottom with no real variation in cover or ground height. The map looks like its got a great start going for it though.
      PayBack
      Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
      Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
      UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
      UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

      Comment


      • #4
        Nicness M^uL! Locked & Loaded onto the <elusive>LoPing Arena server for your enjoyment.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PayBack View Post
          Just from the screen shots, it looks like the ground level is a bit of a death trap. You have really high walls around most of the bottom with no real variation in cover or ground height. The map looks like its got a great start going for it though.
          Yeah I agree. The open areas are too open at the moment so I need to break them up and provide better cover. It's also a bit too tall overall so I need to reduce the tallest Z and and add more mid level Z. Thanks for the observation.
          Unreal Carnage.com
          UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
          UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by [FnG]Bawsy View Post
            Please get it on with Slain and have babies.
            LOL! (and 10 babies)
            Unreal Carnage.com
            UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
            UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
              Nicness M^uL! Locked & Loaded onto the <elusive>LoPing Arena server for your enjoyment.
              Thanks Dutch!
              Unreal Carnage.com
              UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
              UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

              Comment


              • #8
                Just played your map with you.
                It has a nice layout but needs some work imo.

                1) Add some 45 degrees ramps here and there for better movement speed around the map.
                2) Add a redeemer
                3) You need to narrow the open spaces. It is way too wide and makes it a bit uninteresting.
                4) You should move the Rocket Launcher to a more central place so it is harder to defend the best gun on the map. Something like the bridge where the chest armor is.
                5) You should place the Belt where the +100 health is and add a jump pad between where the sniper is and the belt. It would give me incentive to use that path.

                Comment


                • #9
                  On a second playthrough...why is the armor helmet in such a wierd place? It feels out of place and really stops you from being mobile around the map.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the feedback Pure. I agree it's too wide open at the moment so I will need to work on that quite a bit. I think you're right, the belt would be better located at the keg and I might remove the keg. I'll take a look at swapping the rocket location.

                    I'm not 100% sure what you're saying about the jump between where the sniper is and the belt (new location?). You can dodge across from where the new location of the belt would be over to the sniper when you get on the ledge. Are you saying a jump pad on the ground between the two or a jump pad to shoot over to the sniper? I wouldn't want you to be able to get to the belt via a jump pad on the ground.

                    LOL on the helmet. Yeah that was a last minute slap it in deal before putting it on the server. That whole area needs to be reworked actually.

                    The redeemer on top of one of the castle towers via an elevator could be fun. I have tons of blocking volumes all over the upper spaces so it might be tough to get that to work there so maybe another location. Edit: By blocking volume issues, I'm referring to if you tried to jump off the top of the castle tower. (Of course you can shoot through them).

                    Regarding the 45 degree ramps, this is more in the vain of Chill and I'm trying to think of 45 degree ramps in there. I do plan on putting some long distance wall run angles if I can. I'll see what I can do with ramps once I start breaking up the open areas.
                    Great feedback man.
                    Last edited by MΛuL; 04-26-2016, 01:55 AM.
                    Unreal Carnage.com
                    UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
                    UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just tried this one out twice offline, once as a TDM and once as a Showdown.

                      You're of to a great start. Indeed, spacecastles is part of the Unreal DNA and it's great to see it. Also it's nice seeing the Keg, I like that pickup. Some things I've noticed:

                      TDM
                      • As mentioned before, the centre area is very open. It would be great to have some contrast and cover here.
                      • Likewise, some of the interior parts are a bit cramped. Some also have long and feature-less coridors.
                      • However, I like how this works with the UDamage. You need to make a long walk, having the risk of someone seeing you entering and loading up rockets/shocks at the exit. It's a odd but nice feature of the map.
                      • The jumppad at the Linkgun is very unsatisfying, a ramp would make more sense.
                      • The Sniper balcony is odd. You'd expect to be able to jump to the Keg platform, but it's too high. It would be more clear if the Keg platform is higher (so it's obvious you can't go there).


                      Showdown
                      • Very few spawnpoints seem very strong. The one above the Link is the one I always picked, the other ones are very far away from weapons.
                      • This issue was confirmed by the high amount of bots using Enforcers or even Hammers, as weapons are very scarce.


                      I hope that helps

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I agree with the aformentioned pointers, also don't forget to block off the the windows on the map (unless intentional).



                        This goes for all the windows across the map but through here you can get out back as well as thru the towers behind the shieldbelt.

                        Thanks again for share'n! & Keep it Up!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Basalt View Post
                          Just tried this one out twice offline, once as a TDM and once as a Showdown.

                          You're of to a great start. Indeed, spacecastles is part of the Unreal DNA and it's great to see it. Also it's nice seeing the Keg, I like that pickup. Some things I've noticed:

                          TDM
                          • As mentioned before, the centre area is very open. It would be great to have some contrast and cover here.
                          • Likewise, some of the interior parts are a bit cramped. Some also have long and feature-less coridors.
                          • However, I like how this works with the UDamage. You need to make a long walk, having the risk of someone seeing you entering and loading up rockets/shocks at the exit. It's a odd but nice feature of the map.
                          • The jumppad at the Linkgun is very unsatisfying, a ramp would make more sense.
                          • The Sniper balcony is odd. You'd expect to be able to jump to the Keg platform, but it's too high. It would be more clear if the Keg platform is higher (so it's obvious you can't go there).


                          Showdown
                          • Very few spawnpoints seem very strong. The one above the Link is the one I always picked, the other ones are very far away from weapons.
                          • This issue was confirmed by the high amount of bots using Enforcers or even Hammers, as weapons are very scarce.


                          I hope that helps
                          Thanks for the feedback Basalt. Yeah many of the areas are too open so I'm going to close those down and add variation. Will take your other observations into consideration. I agree on the sniper platform/keg that that jump is a bit too tough but it is actually possible to wall dodge off the sniper platform and just barely make it.

                          I've been playing showdown this week and analyzing the stock maps. My playerstarts will be much different in the next release and I may swap the stinger and rocket locations .
                          Unreal Carnage.com
                          UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
                          UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                            I agree with the aformentioned pointers, also don't forget to block off the the windows on the map (unless intentional).



                            This goes for all the windows across the map but through here you can get out back as well as thru the towers behind the shieldbelt.

                            Thanks again for share'n! & Keep it Up!
                            Thanks for finding that. I have TONS of blocking volumes everywhere since the jump boots are in but missed a bunch of windows. There are a couple of windows that it is okay to go through though.
                            Unreal Carnage.com
                            UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
                            UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This map is beautiful man!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X