Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Oxide [TSD Mapcore Contest Entry]

Hi everyone!

I figured I'd bite the bullet and throw my hat in for the Mapcore contest, why not?

Concept & Design:

I always loved the setting of the maps DM-Sulphur and CTF-DE-ElecFields from UT2004 and I wanted to make a map in a similar setting. I'm also a big fan of the Jump Boots and I wanted to design a Team Showdown map that was based around giving players with Jump Boots lots of options for traversing the map. So in this map there are actually 4 Jump Boot pickups and I've designed a lot of the areas around optimum traversal using them, they are extremely valuable!!!

To start off with, because I'm a visual kind of person and I need something I can work from that's outside of my head, I created a mood painting of the kind of setting I wanted the map to take place in. This was really just to set the visual tone and give me some ideas to play around with for architecture of the map:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This isn't necessarily the final look I'm shooting for, it's just something to guide me. It might seem a bit overkill for the purposes of making a shell but it definitely helped give me a clear idea of what the level should be like visually from the get go so I could block it out quickly. I also did horrible sketches of the layout before I started but those are on paper so you'll have to do without.

DM-Oxide-WIP1 (Outdated) Screenshots:

Here are some screens of the first version of the shell:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Please help playtest and give me feedback! I'd love to hear what people have to say about the way it plays. Is it too big? Too small? Does the weapon placement suck? Is the map flow terrible? Let me know!

I'm looking for people to help playtest and give me feedback. Please message me here or on Discord if you are interested. Also if anybody is willing to host this map on their server / hub this would be very, very appreciated.

- Thanks everybody
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mangley; 07-11-2016, 12:42 AM.

Nice painting! This level looks cool man. I had a nice throwback reading your description about those 2k4 maps, haha.

Comment

this is the correct string for map location!

MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Oxide-WIP1

... good luck!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
        Nice painting! This level looks cool man. I had a nice throwback reading your description about those 2k4 maps, haha.
        Thanks!

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
        this is the correct string for map location!

MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Oxide-WIP1

... good luck!
        Thanks dude, I knew I was going to screw up somewhere.

Also thanks for hosting it on AW, I appreciate it!
        Last edited by Mangley; 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Mangley,

right now the map is quite large in size and needs at least >8 players, and could easily hold 20players (i tested 20 in tdm). Due to its size, it takes long time to traverse this map. I tink you should install 2-3 'DM-Deathfall' style jump pads which catapult you from some of the key areas in a large jump to some other outside areas. Or scale the map down 10-20%. But really love the general theme, look, color choice (especially the skybox)! Keep going!

Comment

I'd say for showdown it needs to be cut by like 75% in size, and for DM, probably 50%.

It might make a nice WAR map, when and if Epic ever bother with vehicles again - but for now you've made a map with is utterly massive and as such renders weapons useless, as you can see the projectiles coming from such a long way away, you got 10 seconds to react to them.

I like the style though, that I can't deny; as it feels about right for the setting.
            Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
              Hi Mangley,

right now the map is quite large in size and needs at least >8 players, and could easily hold 20players (i tested 20 in tdm). Due to its size, it takes long time to traverse this map. I tink you should install 2-3 'DM-Deathfall' style jump pads which catapult you from some of the key areas in a large jump to some other outside areas. Or scale the map down 10-20%. But really love the general theme, look, color choice (especially the skybox)! Keep going!
              Completely agree with you about the size, thanks man. I've been working on making the map a lot more tighter and reduce the scale across all the map since I posted the first build.

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
              I'd say for showdown it needs to be cut by like 75% in size, and for DM, probably 50%.

It might make a nice WAR map, when and if Epic ever bother with vehicles again - but for now you've made a map with is utterly massive and as such renders weapons useless, as you can see the projectiles coming from such a long way away, you got 10 seconds to react to them.

I like the style though, that I can't deny; as it feels about right for the setting.
              Thanks Mitch! I've considerably cut the size down since this to about 70% of the previous size for the phase 1 deadline, I've also added some more connections that help shorten some of the routes.

I think there's still room for reduction which I'll see about after some more feedback and playtesting.

DM-Oxide-WIP3 (Outdated)

Hi everyone.

Here's my first update to the shell, and also the build of the map I'm submitting to phase 1 of the contest. There's a few more things I would have liked to squeeze into this update but I'm cutting it way too close to the deadline as it is so I had to draw the line somewhere.

Changes:
              - Redesigned central area of map
              - Scale changes across the entire map
              - Added an extra rocket ammo pickup in the rocket area

Screenshots:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Mangley; 07-11-2016, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Thumbs up!

Comment

You might not be able to log into rushbase for you are using email to log in. Try your username instead. I had that problem myself.
                  Edit: Overwhelming concept art! Keep it up!
                  For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Originally posted by enioentity View Post
                    Thumbs up!
                    Thank you

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
                    You might not be able to log into rushbase for you are using email to log in. Try your username instead. I had that problem myself.
                    Edit: Overwhelming concept art! Keep it up!
                    Oh snap! Didn't know about that, thanks!

Rushbase download is up now.
                    Last edited by Mangley; 05-16-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

It's still very large for showdown.

Problem I have is this:

1: This is one of the best spawns, because you can move immediately to the MG, 180 back to-

2: The JB to get you to-

3: The KP and exceptional viewpoints and sight-lines (a) and (b) - with the added side benefit of having the Udamage immediately in front of you, with no direct shot anyone else would have on you should you chose to get it.

As it stands, you could chop the map down to the tower/building with the SB in it and it would be awesome. There are great lil' tick jumps in that building, with a nice mezzanine and a lift boost here and there could be neat and tight gameplay.

You got 24 hours (ish). Put a pot of coffee on and test test test, see if I'm right - it's only shell @ phase one, so see if it could work. Don't whatever you do delete the other parts of the map, because you may cut off the SB tower and try another building instead, but as it stands there is no way this can be used for showdown mappage.

You've brought a monster truck to an indy car race. As much as love monster trucks (who doesn't?) I know it won't win.
                      Attached Files
                      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I dont agree with mitchel "this wont win", but you need to fix spawns asap! Map is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                          I don't agree with Mitchell "this wont win", but you need to fix spawns asap! Map is very good.
                          It was an analogy based on size, not to confuse the analogy with the actual competition Mapcore are running. I have no idea what they are looking for, and could only read between the lines.

Topic for another thread, 'brah.
                          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Thanks for your feedback again Mitch.

This is a good opportunity for me to explain some of my design philosophy behind the spawn and item placement and how I feel about the spawn picking aspect of Team Showdown.

I mentioned in the first post that I had made the jump boots very valuable and designed the map around them. Beyond traversing the map the boots are the key to quickly getting huge weapon + powerup combos early in the round, and there are several depending on if people are bold enough to go for them.

In the Flak building for example, picking the lower spawn that's at a disadvantage because the upper spawns are closer to the Flak is a really powerful spawn if the area is uncontested. With the jump boots in the middle lower of that building the player can quickly snag Berserk, Flak Cannon and the Shield Belt all in quick succession using the boot jumps. Really I see it as the enemy team's duty to pick spawns that counter-position all of these really powerful item runs with their spawn picks. People who don't seize the opportunities with boots will lose those things to other boot holding players.

The Biorifle spawns actually have huge versatility to them because they're central and get the boots with it if uncontested, there they can actually jump to the the UDamage at around the same time the Stinger player can and challenge that position. The Rocket player can also challenge the Jump Boots nearest the stinger as well, and even beat them to the UDamage if they're willing to spend health rocket jumping to the roof.

Believe me I've thought very hard about the placement of things and it's deliberate. I'm not saying they're perfectly balanced right now, but what you feel is a design flaw is actually an intentional design choice for TSD that's based on aspects that I personally enjoy about the mode. Without being able to get together some really rigorous playtests with other players I really can't determine if there are problem areas or not. I'd like to say for sure whether these things either demonstrably work or demonstrably don't work off of paper but as far as I've seen nobody has really been able to get together sufficient playtesting with players on their maps either.

Comment

I wrote a lot but the forum broke.

I think my comments were along the lines of 'I'm glad you are taking this as feedback and not an attack'.

My personal take on design of TSD is 120 seconds or less per round, over 5 rounds. Not many servers run longer with 2v2 or 3v3, as most are on ASDF 10 man cluster-bombs.

Like a skirt, it needs to be short enough to be interesting, but not too long to ruin the fun.

As mentioned, this would make an interesting WAR map.
                              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X