No announcement yet.

CTF-Azimuth [WIP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no worries, we can still change anything, that's why we're posting it, and i think you're right. even in our own playtests, when the flagcarrier got past once, he was basically gone, the only way to really stop him was in one of the longer corridors, by hitting him in the back with while i's just meters away from the flagpoint.

i wouldn't say the base is too complex, because i really don't think it is, i imagine that the area right in between the flak cannon and the flagroom (this part) could use a little simplification, because it has a weird dead-end/dropdown there, but i still think that 'too complex' is maybe the wrong word for it.
    Either way, i'm happily waiting for your paintover, really interested in what you're thinking, and trust me, changing anything at this point is still completely easy and doable, so go wild with any suggestions you might have.
    Last edited by Neuro; 05-04-2016, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
      But dudes, I gotta tell ya.... the layout is WAY too complicated in a bunch of spots. If you intend for the map to be played competitively, it's going to make the flag carrier way too strong when they juke the defense even 1 time. Plus, it would be like an easter egg hunt trying to find an enemy flag carrier hiding somewhere in the labyrinth of that base.
      I'm pretty sure most if not all of this can be alleviated by closing the door facing the other team's side on the bottom base entrance, which I've been feeling more and more like doing as I've played through this. This would create a proper choke, and create a place where the flag carrier is guaranteed to have to walk by and be spotted, either over the bridge, or directly infront of that team's base.

If the map is intended for larger scale public play with 14 people, I think its still going to be quite frustrating trying to track anybody down when theyre carrying your flag. Imagine 8, 9, or even 10 minute standoffs when both teams have each other's flag, and nobody can return it because there's no voice comms and only 1-2 people are gonna spot the EFC at a time.
      That's pubs in a nutshell though, and I'm not really a big fan of babyproofing the layout to titan pass amounts so that standoffs are easily averted, especially since those are some of the tensest moments the game can offer. There aren't really that many hiding places either, there's a couple obvious ones, like under the flag base, in the alcove in the flag room, and then that's pretty much it. It works both ways too, without communication someone is going to find you and youre going to get wrecked with no warning and nowhere to run when someone stumbles upon you.

Take a look at the most popular maps that are played right now. In the (normal weapons) competitive scene right now, it's Bleak, Outside / Titan Pass, Vault City, Grendel Keep, Azcanize, and a couple others. Most are pretty simple, but "complicated" designs can still work as well such as Cynosure. Cynosure has more going on to it than most maps, but it's still quite easy to figure out. Heck, even titan pass has a bunch of features to the bases, but it's easy to figure out.

In the casual public server scene, the most popular maps are usually Blank and Quick. I'd classify both those maps as having a "medium" amount of complexity to their bases.
      If I were to make a list of maps I didn't enjoy, but were well produced, I'd have to put Titan Pass and Grendelkeep right at the top. There's few maps in ut I've played and enjoyed less than those. As for the rest you're going to have to link them to me because I've never heard of them.

I don't want all your guys' hard work to end up in a map that never gets any play
      If we weren't comfortable with that we wouldn't be making a map for a dead game.

I'll make some draw-overs in MS paint tomorrow to better show you what I mean.
      I look forward to it.

you can use the link in my signature to come on by IRC and say what's up during normal peak hours (6pm-12pm EST) and ask for some more direct feedback. Let us know if youre interested in that so we can set up a time or something.
      pmed you my steam, use that if you have it

Oh, and the shield belt should go on top of the bridge. Put a U-damage at the bottom or something.
      Already was thinking the rocket doesn't have the same impact it used to and should have a powerup there instead, this is the validation I needed to make it happen.
      Last edited by Envieous; 05-04-2016, 01:51 PM.
      CTF-Azimuth [UT4] - Check out my game!

Comment

New version.

The flak cannon area has been reworked, and the lower base door facing the opposing team's side has been closed. The flag carrier now either needs to take the bridge, or walk past the front of the enemy's base. Other than that, some pickups were shifted around, and I modeled in some additional scenery.

Comment

Hi nice update I would at the flag based on Flags window inserting overlooking the countryside

Comment

what? ?

Comment

sel :3: come shill in my thread
              sel :3: about how great this map is
              I personally endorse this map, when I loaded it up I had multiple *******. I would've played it more but I had to clean up my mess

Comment

Originally posted by Zhiv4go View Post
                I personally endorse this map, when I loaded it up I had multiple *******. I would've played it more but I had to clean up my mess
                ty stranger for your completely heartfelt and unscripted endorsement, it means a lot to us

also recompiled for new game version, since apparently the update broke the previous one!

Comment

starting work on getting this map looking nice soon, if anyone has some time to run around in the last version and ideally, post some feedback, that'd be great.

Comment

New Build is up.

Image Album located here: https://sli.mg/a/TWfwiE
                    Images are embedded in first post.

There have been a few small gameplay changes, most importantly is the new shield belt area under the bridge. I've been going hard at dividing up the level geometry further, as a result of the work so far we now have lightmaps that aren't trash. Some basic materials and textures have also started to be fleshed out, which I'll be putting more work into over the coming weeks.
                    Last edited by Envieous; 06-18-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

No New Download Pak?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                        No New Download Pak?
                        It's uploading as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Selentic View Post
                          It's uploading as we speak.
                          please tell me you added a screenshot!? : P

.... this map is the only community map I have running on the Hub without a screenshot and I'm sure it gets passed up by the casual/new players in map vote!

....just an FYI! ; )

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
                            please tell me you added a screenshot!? : P

.... this map is the only community map I have running on the Hub without a screenshot and I'm sure it gets passed up by the casual/new players in map vote!

....just an FYI! ; )
                            yeah, I added one

Comment

In the mean time, has anyone played the map yet? have any gameplay-feedback or anything else to share?

Comment

Did you make the meshes yourself? If so, (awesome work!) would you be willing to make them available to the community? If not, where did you get them?
                                My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

Working...
                                X