CTF-Azimuth [WIP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksteel View Post
    Did you make the meshes yourself? If so, (awesome work!) would you be willing to make them available to the community? If not, where did you get them?
    We made them ourselves. As for releasing them, that's unlikely. Short of a very small handful of exceptions, the vast majority of the geometry is not built to be modular making it practically impossible to use any of this in a configuration other than what we've done here.
    CTF-Azimuth [UT4] - Check out my game!

Comment

This looks awesome, great work, i have installed it on our DE CTF New Maps server for 10ppl. NL server will follow shortly, possibly a US server too, i have to set them two up later tonight/tomorrow.
      Would you also like to upload this thing to our mapper webspace for redirection and our end user database? That would be splendid hehe
      Thanks for your map and work! Seeya around
      Pro 2 Play Community Website @ https://www.pro2play.com/
      UT4 Server/Hub Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut4/guide.php
      UT3 Server Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut3/serverguide.php
      Need help? Join Discord Chat @ https://discord.gg/ETv384q

Comment

aw that's too bad. Well awesome job regardless, I think it looks exceptional!
        My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

what is the plan for the Outside ?

Comment

Originally posted by zunnie View Post
            This looks awesome, great work, i have installed it on our DE CTF New Maps server for 10ppl. NL server will follow shortly, possibly a US server too, i have to set them two up later tonight/tomorrow.
            cool ty

Originally posted by zunnie View Post
            Would you also like to upload this thing to our mapper webspace for redirection and our end user database? That would be splendid hehe
            Thanks for your map and work! Seeya around
            Right now while I'm iterating relatively quickly I'm gonna stick with my dropbox, once it reaches a more final version though I'll definitely be rehosting it elsewhere. That said, you're completely welcome to rehost the map wherever you want.

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
            what is the plan for the Outside ?
            When we stop playing overwatch figure that out I'll let you know. Probably something similar to blood gulch from Halo, I haven't really seen any games do that theme for a while.

Comment

Comment

Wow when have you a new Pak for the Map?

Comment

dude looks so cool omg

Comment

From the distance, it looks like a Unity engine alpha game, to test the optimisation ;D anyway, layout is boss, btw i was wondering. What will be the material for the terrain ? floor looks like it's natural, i don't see where it's gonna lead. Just an aesthetic question.
                    http://lordkaniche.deviantart.com/

Comment

Hey Sel, it's minos. Sorry I took so long to test, had things going on. Anyway, gave it a few plays through, once alone and twice with bots.

First, the big stuff. Overall, I quite like the map, I think it's one of the better ones on the forum, and shows a lot of promise. The flow is pretty decent, though I have gripes and will get to those soon enough. The art style is nice, it's a good alternative to the Liandri set that has been done to death; I think this will look great when it's done. Size and scale both feel about right, and the map reminds me of a lot of other UT maps, in a very good way.

That said, it's not without its issues. The left hand side of each base (left if you're at the flag, facing mid- minigun side) feels just about right, and provides a lot of variation and a good mix of vulnerability and escape routes. The right hand side (flak) needs work though. It's a pain to assault, as it's a longer route than the other side, and leaves you more visible with less cover. Much worse is trying to leave that way though. There is the turn off to the link right away which any defender in pursuit will see you take, and if you don't go that way then the defender immediately knows your route all the way from base to the center chokepoint of the map, and much worse, he knows that you have to take the low route. There is no way to avoid it once you take that path, which is very very bad.

There are a few things you could do to fix this. First, I will say I think the problem really stems from the blocked off hole by the biorifle. Having that open makes the assault path a lot shorter, and it means that there are multiple reasonable exits for a fleeing flagcarrier to take. However, I don't think opening it up again would fix all your problems, and I can see why it was closed off to begin with; it would be by far the fastest way to get in and out, and a lot safer than the middle as well. If you want to consider a modification of that route, you could either have the path open up in the rock face further down towards the base to make it longer and more closed off, thus more dangerous, or you could have it open out to the interior of the wall and shield belt area, which might be a bit clunky.

A more elegant solution might be to take the first turn off on the right where the link gun hallway connects to the right passage, and turn the wall that has two vents onto it into a passage that goes up to the shock area. This alone adds a significant amount of variety to the routes that are usable, as it enables you to go hard right, middle right and up to the upper walkway, or left to the minigun.

Even better though, I feel like turning the window that overlooks the flak cannon and jump pad into a wallrunnable area would be enough to give a skilled escaping attacker a marginal route variation and escape path, and it nicely takes advantage of a new UT4 feature. I don't know what the max distance you can wallrun on a flat surface like that is though, so you might have to adjust the wall's shape if you want that to work, as it's a rather long bit of wall.

The other real issue I have is with the area immediately in front of and below each flag. There's very little reason to ever be in that area, as the best attack and escape routes come from the side halls with the columns as cover or the linkgun catwalk. The middle of the room is very open and has no pickups, and even worse, the terrain is at a depression that's just perfect for everyone above you to rain hell down on your head. The real kicker is that you frequently spawn there, and the nearest weapon is at least two translocations away. It would be a pretty trivial matter for even one or two attackers to butcher four or five people who keep respawning down there before they can return effective fire or make chase on the flag carrier. I would move the spawn points out of the pit and more towards the edges of the room near the columns, and I would put maybe a single 25 health pack down in the pit under the flag to make there a reason to be down there, at the risk of having your *** hanging in the wind if someone comes in while you're snagging it.

I also hate how few options the flag room has, again. You're looking at left hall or right hall to get out, which is boring, especially compared to a map like Pistola which has a similar sort of flagroom layout. Might be worth turning the alcove on the left side that does nothing right now into a slow lift that exits onto the link gun ledge. If it's not too fast, the defenders will have more than enough time to xloc up there ahead of the attacker, but the fact that the fc has the threat of doing it means they can't just spam one of the narrow hallways and always be covered.

Also, some minor nags. The collision is pretty messy right now, there are a few walls like the slope above the flag and the right hand wall of the double health/flak area that you can just sort of... walk through. In other places, the blocking volumes are a bit aggressive, especially around the rocket launcher and on the ramp above the thigh pad ledge. I'm guessing these are all placeholder, but if you want me to go through and document every minor bit of collision stuff for you, I can.

Ammo placement could use some work too. For the most part I quite like your choices for powerup and weapon placements, but I dislike the system of having to boxes by most of the guns and relatively little else on the map. Especially given that ammo is intentionally limited in UT4, I do prefer having little caches of ammo spread on the map as minor pickups- with plentiful ammo by every gun, there's no reason to take them otherwise. A box nearby every pickup is fine, though. In some places it's good, like the link ammo by the 100a that leads from the link gun.

The thigh pad ledge is a great bit of geometry, but the pads are a bit too hidden on it, took me about ten minutes to realize they were even up there. A light or something to draw the eye would be nice, and maybe a shock core and mini ammo to encourage its use as a defensive position as well as an offensive stopover.

Would like to see the railings on either side of the shield belt taken out. Again, didn't even realize there was a pit there until my second game. I don't care what OSHA says, it's more fun if there's a little risk. My two cents is to move the health vials somewhere else too, I think having that many in the same place as the belt is a bit much, and they're more interesting in other choke points as noise signals to other players.

Again, quite like where this is going, and I would be interested to see what sort of materials you're going to apply. I know there's a bit of text to sort through here, but if I had to pick two minor things to change that would have the most impact, I would say adding the lift and the wallrun would do the most good.

Comment

wow dude, thanks for the feedback, quality stuff!

Comment

New build and screenshots in first post.

Here's the album: https://sli.mg/a/AoNXDx

Several weapons and pickups have been shuffled around, and a new path has been added through flag room vents.

Right side exit of flag room (previously flak hall) has been reworked yet again.

Basic materials (read: 5 minutes in substance painter) and decals have also been added, and a basic lighting pass has begun.
                          Last edited by Envieous; 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

That looks absolutely incredible. you guys have knocked the aesthetics out of the water on this one. Haven't really got a chance to download and play yet, but map layout looks pretty good too.
                            My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

new version, changed vents, music is ****ed, dunno why, update changed something and i dont feel like sitting for hours trying to figure out why it doesnt work.
                              Last edited by Envieous; 07-13-2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=13936]Selentic[/MENTION]!
                                Judging from the screenshots your map looks really relly good. Unfortunately I cannot download and test as the link to dropbox only gives an Error 404 File not found.
                                Any chance of uploading again?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X