Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Phobos3 (Mapcore 4/7)

This is my first ever released arena map so I hope you guys enjoy it

Theres not alot to say, Ive wanted to remake this one for awhile and I tried to play it loose by using splines and non-destructive techniques so I can make changes to the layout relatively easy

Version 0.4 (Sneak Peak)

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Version 0.3
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Phobos Moon v0.3 (Mapcore entry version)
    Phobos Moon v0.3 (Alternative Download)

Dir: /Game/Fourever/Maps/DM-Phobos3

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula )

Older Versions

Spoiler
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-07-2016, 07:05 AM.
    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Ty for share'n your works MonsOlympus! Loaded onto the <elusive>LoPing Arena server for your enjoyment.

Admins:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Phobos3-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/MonsOlympus/Cooked/3008043/DM-Phobos3-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="670AAED7750AFE797018399202C4DD26")
    MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Fourever/Maps/DM-Phobos3
    Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
      Ty for share'n your works MonsOlympus! Loaded onto the <elusive>LoPing Arena server for your enjoyment.
      No worries, let me know what you guys think

For those of you that are interested on the technique I used:

This is what I started with in Illustrator, just playing with ideas and throwing lines around to see what I like.

From there I brought the map into 3dsmax and checked the scale, I took the main mesh from max and checked it in UE4 to see how scaling was going.

Started to finalize the shapes alittle more in 3dsmax just testing the concept too seeing how the level looks.

Added terrain and started doing basic UVs for testing materials.

Blocking volumes and finalizing the map for entry.

I actually started with the skybox first, got that looking nice.

Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

AWESOME work [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION]!
        [MENTION=6001]raxxy[/MENTION] would you mind putting this up on the UnrealPrime servers?

Thanks.
        Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
          AWESOME work [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION]!
          [MENTION=6001]raxxy[/MENTION] would you mind putting this up on the UnrealPrime servers?

Thanks.
          Thanks for the support and spreading the word I really hope people enjoy it and please if you have any feedback it is still very WIP as you can tell, Im open to suggestions as I have a few ideas I didnt have time to get done in phase 1 so look out for releases over the next few months

Spoiler
          Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-03-2016, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Your skybox looks great, but I found that the red planet was way to close, it felt like it as closing in on me, id move it back a bit.

As for gameplay, the top area is way too open, close it off a bit, add some barriers etc. As for other levels, well mostly I found the majority of your lifts were hidden in corners, and the entry points to them were way too tight... they felt about 150-200 units, id increase them to 250 at minimum. allows more room for fighting, and just much easier to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by lawlorz View Post
              Your skybox looks great, but I found that the red planet was way to close, it felt like it as closing in on me, id move it back a bit.

As for gameplay, the top area is way too open, close it off a bit, add some barriers etc. As for other levels, well mostly I found the majority of your lifts were hidden in corners, and the entry points to them were way too tight... they felt about 150-200 units, id increase them to 250 at minimum. allows more room for fighting, and just much easier to navigate.
              Thanks for the feedback, I am toying with the skybox still, originally Mars was smaller and above the map but Im happier with where the position is, Im not entirely set on the terrain scale around the map either.

The top was rushed I'll admit it, I didnt get time to add the details, theres meant to be some ventilation near the shock with some kind of chute down and I had considered making that top level building open with slits so you can see whos in there and put the button in there.

The lifts (its funny you mention this), are a copy from Phobos2 and I did actually add some more room there. I did think about making them bigger so 2 people could squeeze easier but I decided against it to split teams in TSD/TDM abit more so using the lift was risky vs other paths up. I do plan on adding another way up to the second floor to see how that goes, there is abit of dead space over near the flak going to the top floor, even on the top floor that area is bland so I know that needs attention.

The top floor will get some crates and other details as Ive played on that section more myself, even the skybox needs some tweaks, I didnt have time to rotate Mars on its correct axis so I have no idea which way its spinning atm just at what speed

Comment

What's with the pic over the monitors, is that actually a projector or something or you just photoshop that
                AKA ||Ransom from Absolute clan.
                I have a WIP map. DM-Mosnar on Absolute Atlanta Hub

Comment

Originally posted by lakecityransom View Post
                  What's with the pic over the monitors, is that actually a projector or something or you just photoshop that
                  Thats 2 separate images if you mean that giant Mars above my triple monitors lol
                  I didnt realize the submission to the contest lined up with Mars beening out so it does feel like its that big

I took a photo cuz its two different PCs on the 3 monitors
                  Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-04-2016, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus

Small update, just testing meshes trying to get a theme going
                    AWESOME. Looking good.

Comment

AWESOME. Looking good.

Still need to fix the Mars up abit, the displacement is abit too much and I do wish I could get a higher resolution texture but Id need to stuff around with the MOLA scans myself. Its mainly that the surface of Mars is quite rough and has some large displacements it gets compressed, I need 16bit greyscale 8up 8down so I can tweak Valles Marineris seperate to Olympus Mons. I'll see what I can come up with though, I might be able to hand paint on it and just make it alittle sharper and adjust the levels to get the peaks alittle more realistic scale. Missing Deimos and I was going to add some little bits of habitation to Mars, need the asteroid belt, maybe Jupiter and the Sun out in the distance.

The level I am going to change around abit, Im not entirely happy with some sections and there are very limited wall run options, Im happy with the slide nook that came out better than I expected as you cant just steal the powerup and duck through. Not sure if people noticed the Wall Dodge options in the main tube in the middle, there are dodge-wall-runs too depending on how you want to use them and I found a way to boost on the corners so maybe a better player than I can make some real use of it

Ive added a dodge up near the rocket launcher on the Mars side and Im just generally going to be tweaking stuff as I just kitbash the level as much as possible. I have some meshes from UT3 as well I can use but they will need new textures since the grunge is all heavily baked on.

Lots to do as well as working on secret sauce
                      Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-26-2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

So Im thinking to try to avoid white or orange to make this map stand out amongst the other scifi theme ones. Im going to make it an Axon installation but I will use some of the Liandri pieces with new textures, I think what Im going for is if Xans armour was a map theme or the Axon vehicle kinda theme.

I have a palette from Green to Orange to Yellow so Im hoping that will work spread it across the colour wheel. I'll use colder yellow/white lights to try and contrast against the skylight. I wont use quite this much green, I just wanted to see how it looked next to the orange/red of Mars to see if I could get away with the green and while it stands out alot atm but Im hoping to get it to blend alittle nicer but still make Mars really pop in the background.

I did try importing an almost 1 million polygon Mars mesh, it worked fine but it gave me atleast a 15fps drop on my not quite as good GPU even on an i7 24GB of RAM so Im going to have to stick within the 250k region and make up the difference for higher resolution in texture baking. Even then the texture resolution has to be quite large to capture that amount of detail so close so it will be an ongoing battle with the skybox. I could do more to LOD the meshes I'll be using around the level so I'll see how it goes.

The layout still isnt finalized but Im happy enough with the progress that I dont think having to go back and adjust it will be that big of a deal if there is something wrong with the layout, no comments on that though.
                        Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-26-2016, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

So Im thinking to try to avoid white or orange to make this map stand out amongst the other scifi theme ones. Im going to make it an Axon installation but I will use some of the Liandri pieces with new textures, I think what Im going for is if Xans armour was a map theme or the Axon vehicle kinda theme.

I have a palette from Green to Orange to Yellow so Im hoping that will work spread it across the colour wheel. I'll use colder yellow/white lights to try and contrast against the skylight. I wont use quite this much green, I just wanted to see how it looked next to the orange/red of Mars to see if I could get away with the green and while it stands out alot atm but Im hoping to get it to blend alittle nicer but still make Mars really pop in the background.

I did try importing an almost 1 million polygon Mars mesh, it worked fine but it gave me atleast a 15fps drop on my not quite as good GPU even on an i7 24GB of RAM so Im going to have to stick within the 250k region and make up the difference for higher resolution in texture baking. Even then the texture resolution has to be quite large to capture that amount of detail so close so it will be an ongoing battle with the skybox. I could do more to LOD the meshes I'll be using around the level so I'll see how it goes.

The layout still isnt finalized but Im happy enough with the progress that I dont think having to go back and adjust it will be that big of a deal if there is something wrong with the layout, no comments on that though.
                          hmm I think you need a GTX1080...

Maybe having glowing text for Axon Labs?

Comment

Why you don't test a less saturated version of Mars like this : http://www.rollingstone.fr/RS-WP-mag...marsgloves.jpg

More beautiful/realistic imo And for the polygon on Mars, useless, juste try to found a high résolution on a round sphere But keep it up ! I love this map (UT 99 <3) and you did a very good job
                            Last edited by Dizzi; 05-26-2016, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzi View Post
                              Why you don't test a less saturated version of Mars like this : http://www.rollingstone.fr/RS-WP-mag...marsgloves.jpg
                              Thanks for the suggestion and I think youre onto something, maybe not quite so saturated but in that direction so its not so red, I kinda realized I had christmas colours almost lol

hmm I think you need a GTX1080...

Maybe having glowing text for Axon Labs?
                              Ive actually got a game design that would suit that card nicely
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 06-26-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X