This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Polaris **Updated 7/30/2016**

Updated for the MPF mappers night contest.

UPDATED 7/29/2016

-More lighting changes
    -finished the floors
    -Additional mesh details
    -more effects
    -very close to being called done
    -changed name scheme to match date of map build

The music in the map is made by Archer6621, song is title Flux and he designed it specifically for this map. Huge thanks to Archer6621.
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...or-CTF-Polaris

http://redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/use...wsNoEditor.pak

MapRotation=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-Polaris_7-30-2016
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-Polaris_7-30-2016-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL=" redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/users/payback68ed/CTF-Polaris_7-30-2016-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="e53ac0b386499fa27d3af84a93d607e8")

7/30/2016 build phots

7/15/2016 build photos

Spoiler

6/5/2016 build photos

Spoiler
    Last edited by PayBack; 07-29-2016, 09:41 PM.
    PayBack
    Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
    Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
    UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
    UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Looks really good man! Nice mesh work
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

That looks incredible! It looks to me like you hit the perfect balance with the lighting and visuals.
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

looks nice; gonna try it out.
        Server: Pony Killers - Calgary

Current Project: http://askeveryone.ca

Comment

Looks nice, would be worried about the long halls and up and down ramps. I often wrestle with how next gen fits with UT sometimes and all the big designs while keeping the pace of UT that players expect. Overall it looks to be solid.

Comment

Top issue: Music is far too loud. I stopped playing after first half because of that. Other than that, I like it. For the future look into options for breaking the overall sterility of the environment. I guess this map can endup pretty fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker_CZ View Post
              Top issue: Music is far too loud. I stopped playing after first half because of that. Other than that, I like it. For the future look into options for breaking the overall sterility of the environment. I guess this map can endup pretty fine.
              You are the second person to say the music is too loud, but I dont hear that. In matches and when playing, generally the gunfire and exlosions tend to drown out the music. What is your music level set at in game?
              PayBack
              Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
              UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
              UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                You are the second person to say the music is too loud, but I dont hear that. In matches and when playing, generally the gunfire and exlosions tend to drown out the music. What is your music level set at in game?
                The problem is that the music level is too loud in comparison with Epic's maps, you should try to balance it around a similar level, otherwise it will be annoying to keep shifting the music level around to compensate for the different volumes :P
                Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Archer6621 View Post
                  The problem is that the music level is too loud in comparison with Epic's maps, you should try to balance it around a similar level, otherwise it will be annoying to keep shifting the music level around to compensate for the different volumes :P
                  I turned the Music down by 25%. We will see how it sounds in the next build.
                  Last edited by PayBack; 05-30-2016, 09:15 AM.
                  PayBack

Comment

Bump for updated version and redirect reference
                    PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
                      Bump for updated version and redirect reference

Is it just me or did the URL for download disappear?

Comment

Its in the redirect reference now.
                        PayBack

Comment

I sat through a play test of this map on Friday, really nice work. Looks very professional. For the most part you kept your scaling consistent and took a restrained (read as tasteful) approach to adding color here and there.

A couple issues I saw while watching; first, the red and blue bases aren't defined enough as the red and blue bases. This was a common comment throughout the play test. I'd add some floor markings and maybe a few more points of identification. I would NOT go overboard or stray too far from what you've done. I would not, for example, add red and blue wall stripes everywhere, etc.

Second, for the most part your lighting is really well done but it's a little bit over lit. Almost every wall or surface has some sort of light-source. I'd try reducing the number of light sources, if you can do it without negatively affecting visibility in your map. Creating some light pooling will actually help, in most cases, with depth perception and help define your spaces better. I'm not so much talking about your lighting as much as the number of emissive details you have in there.

Also, you've put all this nice work into the walls but really kind of left the ceiling and floors blank. The flag-base steps, for example, look very BSP. Closer to the ceiling, I'd add some mesh work to help disguise the fact that you're playing in a box. Some pipes or hoses can soften many inelegant corners and hard edges. On the floors, I'd add some stains (again, don't go overboard). Maybe a few wet stains. There are a few puddle decals you should be able to find in there somewhere that you can easily make look like wet oil stains. And, like I said, I'd add some graphic details on the floor as well. Again, don't overdo it and spoil the polished look of your map.

Adding some clamp like meshes to the bottom of the ramps (see OP23) can hide that unpolished transition to the floor. And, one more minor point, there is some decal stretching here and there. Stretching things with text (the Liandri V decal) always looks bad.

Anyway, that's my feedback. This is some of the best use of the OP23 assets I've seen so far. I think it's really an awesome looking map and you've obviously an eye for detail and composition. I love that you added steps (I'm not much a fan of ramps, but they're a necessary evil for UT). I'd maybe make the tops of the steps match the darker floor color so as to stand out better.

Nice work.
                          Last edited by Rick Kohler; 06-12-2016, 11:21 AM. Reason: typo

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC] Rick Kohler View Post
                            I sat through a play test of this map on Friday, really nice work. Looks very professional. For the most part you kept your scaling consistent and took a restrained (read as tasteful) approach to adding color here and there.

A couple issues I saw while watching; first, the red and blue bases aren't defined enough as the red and blue bases. This was a common comment throughout the play test. I'd add some floor markings and maybe a few more points of identification. I would NOT go overboard or stray too far from what you've done. I would not, for example, add red and blue wall stripes everywhere, etc.

Second, for the most part your lighting is really well done but it's a little bit over lit. Almost every wall or surface has some sort of light-source. I'd try reducing the number of light sources, if you can do it without negatively affecting visibility in your map. Creating some light pooling will actually help, in most cases, with depth perception and help define your spaces better. I'm not so much talking about your lighting as much as the number of emissive details you have in there.

Also, you've put all this nice work into the walls but really kind of left the ceiling and floors blank. The flag-base steps, for example, look very BSP. Closer to the ceiling, I'd add some mesh work to help disguise the fact that you're playing in a box. Some pipes or hoses can soften many inelegant corners and hard edges. On the floors, I'd add some stains (again, don't go overboard). Maybe a few wet stains. There are a few puddle decals you should be able to find in there somewhere that you can easily make look like wet oil stains. And, like I said, I'd add some graphic details on the floor as well. Again, don't overdo it and spoil the polished look of your map.

Adding some clamp like meshes to the bottom of the ramps (see OP23) can hide that unpolished transition to the floor. And, one more minor point, there is some decal stretching here and there. Stretching things with text (the Liandri V decal) always looks bad.

Anyway, that's my feedback. This is some of the best use of the OP23 assets I've seen so far. I think it's really an awesome looking map and you've obviously an eye for detail and composition. I love that you added steps (I'm not much a fan of ramps, but they're a necessary evil for UT). I'd maybe make the tops of the steps match the darker floor color so as to stand out better.

Nice work.
                            Wow, thank you for the detailed feedback and compliments on the map. I will definitely be applying your feedback to the map and working to get it polished and finished off. Thank you for taking the time to playtest and review my map, I really appreciate it.
                            PayBack

Comment

Look at you becoming pro! Nice work, young man.

Comment

Working...
                              X