No announcement yet.

[Map] DM-DeepBlueAstral [The Latest Version 20200711]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From those who played it, they thought it to be a new map.
    I'm like'n the space'n you used for the new jump pads, definitely add's 'unreal' dept to the map. A note on launch speed though, you may want to slow it down a notch. You can kill yourself with your own rockets upon landing if you're not careful.
    The overall feel is vastly improved (even if in low res) and the launch's off the lifts are nice!
    Sweet little ledges added around the corners are so sneaky!
    The only thing missing was that sci-fi sound off on the vials pickup corner on the outer ledge. Keep Up the GoodWorks!
    LoPing
    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Loaded the level in solo just to fool around to appreciate all the custom assets you've made up. I must say the art is unique and I really like all those VFX all around

Love all the meshes, lifts, jumppads, space objects you've created. The "atmospheric bubble" (play area) is very well think and the VFX is awesome when your getting close the edge.

As you mentioned, some materials still needs work but overall, the map look and feel awesome already

Didn't play the level but it will come.

Top work, as always
      Stevie's corner
      Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
      Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by ÐutchSmºke View Post
        From those who played it, they thought it to be a new map.
        I'm like'n the space'n you used for the new jump pads, definitely add's 'unreal' dept to the map. A note on launch speed though, you may want to slow it down a notch. You can kill yourself with your own rockets upon landing if you're not careful.
        The overall feel is vastly improved (even if in low res) and the launch's off the lifts are nice!
        Sweet little ledges added around the corners are so sneaky!
        The only thing missing was that sci-fi sound off on the vials pickup corner on the outer ledge. Keep Up the GoodWorks!

I feel it is cool that you might catch up and hit a rocket using the jump pads, yes you can be killed, but that''s not something you see quite often somewhere else.
        Well, the main reason is I want the time it takes to finish a pad jump to be shorter for less exposure to foes with hitscan weapons, and also this invites more visits to the underground area, as it is not annoying to go and back.
        Plus, if you try building such long distance pad jumps in a map you will see that if the jump time gets longer you get higher vertical terminal speed, because the curve goes up to extend the length of the path to spend the time, and you can only get so much vertical speed before you start to get hurt. In this game, horizontal speed can't hurt you but vertical speed can.

I am not sure what you do mean by that "sci-fi sound off on the vials pickup corner on the outer ledge". I suppose you mean the 4 vials at the corner and the edge next to the double health packs room? I found that lift there doesn''t have its ambient noise sound, so if that's the one you were talking about, thanks for finding that!

And thanks for the whole feedback!

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
        Loaded the level in solo just to fool around to appreciate all the custom assets you've made up. I must say the art is unique and I really like all those VFX all around

Love all the meshes, lifts, jumppads, space objects you've created. The "atmospheric bubble" (play area) is very well think and the VFX is awesome when your getting close the edge.

As you mentioned, some materials still needs work but overall, the map look and feel awesome already

Didn't play the level but it will come.

Top work, as always

Thanks Stevelois! It's always nice to see you quickly giving the feedback. The bubble is an idea from the very beginning of the creation of this map and I finally figured out the underground part could come into play to justify the bubble, before that at some point I almost gave up.
        [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Hello,
          The rings of your planet are moving so fast it broke the atmosphere. Unplayable.

Pad jump to pad jump, come on, you can pad jump into a far teleporter and exit from an another far teleporter facing the correct destination. Was also surprised to see only one way to the underground part.
          For some reasons the updated theme reminds me of the first Unreal2 level and i like that.
          DM-IronSight-CTF-GreenCause - DM-Blaster - CTF-RavenBreak - Assault Mappack
          Download Folders: My maps & Assault Mappack

Comment

Yup the four vials on the ledge next to the dubble health paks is the spot indeed.
            LoPing

Comment

Yup the four vials on the ledge next to the dubble health paks is the spot indeed.
              Thanks! I've added that missing sound locally.

Originally posted by BloodK1nG View Post
              Hello,
              The rings of your planet are moving so fast it broke the atmosphere. Unplayable.

Pad jump to pad jump, come on, you can pad jump into a far teleporter and exit from an another far teleporter facing the correct destination. Was also surprised to see only one way to the underground part.
              For some reasons the updated theme reminds me of the first Unreal2 level and i like that.

Glad to hear you also feel that ring move too fast. So it is not just me.

Tried similar teleporter idea but didn't decide to go for it because of 3 reasons, 1, the UT teleporter doesn't support forced exit orientation like the one you see in Quake, 2, I found that I prefer to keep the moment of showing the visual of the underground area while jumpping (flying), with teleporters you skip quite a bit the moment. 3, Pad to pad jumpping in Quake is really fun and I am also a Quake fan, so I decided to have many long and fast jumppad jumps in this map, not that it is new or original, just I want it to be such a map, not a map with areas connected with teleporter, at least for for a space map where you get the opportunity to fly around.

There's of course a small additional reason that is the outer pads are close to the sphere to let you see the effect so that you understand it is an atmosphere bubble. Of course in theory this can also be done by have teleporters at similar position but the whole perception is cut off the moment you get teleported.

As for the connection between the above and the underground, years ago I tried a hole through the mega rock, teleporters, none of them appeared promising without huge change of the layout. I'd really love to see your ideas if you have some specific and practical.

Comment

Beautiful update on this Chonglee. Really enjoying this new version.
                Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Hey I am back and the map has a new version!

The Latest Version:
                  (click to see what are changed)

All The Versions:
                  The Version History
                  (click to see the details)

Download The Pak from One of The Links:
                  >>> UTCC <<<
                  I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Map Home Page:
                  https://3245428.wixsite.com/chonglee/deepblueastral

Map Name:

Deep Blue Astral

Map Description:
                  Light years outside the Solar system, a giant blue planet covered fully in extremely cold liquid, mankind was not able to land and build habitats, but this didn't prevent having fun on its orbit, like this big floating rock with the ancient building repurposed for an arena.

Screenshots:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00097.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	410236

Video:

Comment

Layout wise, this is it! It's finalized! The collisions are cleaned up, 99.9% final quality I guess.

I started to have a new website for the maps, created the pages for Deep Blue and later there will be more on the other maps.

The remaining work on this map will be graphic and optimization. Graphic side, all the assets need to be final quality, they are still a bit basic right now with base normal and tiling textures. The main building pieces need masks and good material blending for stuff like moss, stain, rust, dirt, etc. and then there will be the optimization for draw call and asset sizes. Plus the sky box still needs a new round of polish.

Comment

Did a run alone in this new version, and I must say, impressive work, as always!!

I really like all what you've made. The custom assets, VFX, sounds are unique and look and feel awesome We don't see Light IE profiles often in UT4. Very nice. As you mentioned, mats needs more love, but in all, the final will be another must in my book.

Excellent work Chong!

I've update my blog links to your new site.

Have a nice day
                      Stevie's corner
                      Maps : DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                      Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Thanks Stevelois!

Yeah sometimes I wonder why IES profiles are not used much in UT4. I guess if more official maps had been done there could be some nice examples...
                        Thanks for mentioning my new site, well it's barely a site, I plan to add pages but it'll be slow due to lack of time on that :P I always want a site like yours with more info and interesting stuff

Comment

A very nice après-vacation surprise to come back to! Thank you kind sir!
                          Reloaded onto the LPA.
                          Also sent you a link to some issues encountered.
                          Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 07-25-2020, 04:05 PM. Reason: Test run
                          LoPing

Comment

@
                            A very nice après-vacation surprise to come back to! Thank you kind sir!
                            Reloaded onto the LPA.
                            Also sent you a link to some issues encountered.
                            Hi ÐutchSmºke!
                            I had a look of your video, that's a COMMON issue when you have the old version(s) of the map on your PC.
                            Check the attached picture.

What happened on your side was you were seeing both the old assets and the new ones. In the attached picture, that black part was the old floor mesh from the previous released version. The new floor is a different mesh with a different name, which is the bright part in the picture.
                            Usually, when you install a new version of a map, make sure you remove the old one(s) or rename it. I usually rename the filename extension to .pak.bk so that it is clearly a backup and it won't be recognized by the game as a valid map.

The issue happens because the game scans the assets in the pak files, if you have 2 maps/paks with same references of assets (that is, same asset names and they are referenced by both paks), you play 1 of them, you are bound to see issues like this!

The black parts are just messy lightmaps when they are being applied to the wrong version of meshes.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Correct indeed sir!
                              Being renamed/hashed, this shouldn't be the case. I have other multi versioned maps that all play with no issue..@EPIC
                              More replays to follow!
                              LoPing

Comment

Working...
                              X