DM-Equilibrium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Equilibrium

hello everyone, this is going to be another one of those "my first map" threads, but we all have to start somewhere.

UPDATE Version 4: 01/05/2017
    Download dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobtxr02z6...ditor.pak?dl=0

MapRotation=/Game/Maps/DM-equilibrium/DM-EquilibriumV4
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-EquilibriumV4-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/users/RicSim9999/DM-EquilibriumV4-WindowsNoEditor.pak" PackageChecksum="7c91af229eacffc52ba7cca4d4f5cb9a")

“I agree that this content constitutes a User Contribution under the Epic Games Terms of Service ( http://epicgames.com/tou )."
    Last edited by RicSim; 05-01-2017, 02:50 PM.
    Maps WIP : DM-Equilibrium | DM-RicRust | DM-Bairro | DM-Whatever | FR-Canyon | FR-NOVA

Not Bad work boy not bad i like Space Stations

Comment

Thanks Chris, so do i. I'll try to give it a futuristic look
      Maps WIP : DM-Equilibrium | DM-RicRust | DM-Bairro | DM-Whatever | FR-Canyon | FR-NOVA

Comment

i spend more time learning than actually make anything but i've been working in a small room and meshed most of it so far

Comment

Looking good so far RicSim! Keep it Up!
          LoPing
          Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Can you make us a new Pak for testing?

Comment

I've made alot of changes to the original shell so it needs more work before its playable again, but Pak coming soon ... i hope :P

Comment

Originally posted by RicSim View Post
                I spend more time learning than actually make anything but i've been working in a small room and meshed most of it so far
                {images here}
                These look like Xonotic/Quake/Philipk textures! I like that you use them (nostalgia) but the first screenshots you posted looked more interesting then the ones with textures! hmmm, maybe its because the first set of screenshot you were creating futuristic, dullness, vertical geometry and in last two you focused on details in a few areas forgetting about the powerful architecture you had before. Also: try making details and high poly stuff instead of using textures, this engine is really capable of handling them. I know its difficult to switch from 'low poly' into "next gen" (I had that too!). Perhaps bring those details into walls and columns instead the floors. I would neglect things such as lightning generators at this stage (first screenshot) especially that it looks like they are standing in corridor where players jump around and it may hurdle their movement!

This nuke under the floor scares me! Later on you could make it beep and tremble to enrich the player's experience...
                For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

I've made alot of changes to the original shell so it needs more work before its playable again, but Pak coming soon ... i hope :P
                  if you still have a copy of the shell you should upload it for feedback on flow, weapons placement etc., etc. before you get too deep and find from the community changes may be better and so on!

.... what the forums are all about!

also, using versioning = good for admins
                  Last edited by Laambo; 08-14-2016, 11:16 AM.
                  http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
                  http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
                    These look like Xonotic/Quake/Philipk textures! I like that you use them (nostalgia) but the first screenshots you posted looked more interesting then the ones with textures! hmmm, maybe its because the first set of screenshot you were creating futuristic, dullness, vertical geometry and in last two you focused on details in a few areas forgetting about the powerful architecture you had before. Also: try making details and high poly stuff instead of using textures, this engine is really capable of handling them. I know its difficult to switch from 'low poly' into "next gen" (I had that too!). Perhaps bring those details into walls and columns instead the floors. I would neglect things such as lightning generators at this stage (first screenshot) especially that it looks like they are standing in corridor where players jump around and it may hurdle their movement! This nuke under the floor scares me! Later on you could make it beep and tremble to enrich the player's experience...
                    Thanks alot for your feedback It is indeed the PhilipK textures. I can´t make textures myself, and it´s not something i can learn overnight, so i found his pack of textures and decided to use them in this room as a test to learn how to apply textures to the models but most textures are low resolution or probably i'm doing something wrong thats why they don´t look good. The SM are really low poly because it's easier to apply textures to them that way but i spend 3X more time arranging UV's and texturing than actually modeling. I'll follow your advice and go for the high poly meshes with more details but i don´t know what "high poly" is, and i'm afraid it increases the file size too much and becomes poorly optimized. It´s alot of trial and error for me at this point because its all new to me The lightning generators was just me playing around with the particle systems [MENTION=18251]Laambo[/MENTION]: i have a copy of the shell but its very different than what i have right now but i'll try to deliver a pak this week

Comment

The design looks really cool so far! I like amount of vertical action going on here and the sci-fi space station vibe.

Totally feel you as well on the UV mapping; I'm using Blender now, which I'm not very familiar with, and I feel like making a mesh goes quickly, but then the UV mapping is such a pain. Likewise, I am not a photoshop guru, so making seamless textures from scratch isn't my thing either.

Comment

Updated BSP for version 2
                        download link in first post + screenshots

Comment

Niceness on sharing your works with the rest of us RicSim! Loaded & locked onto the LoPing Arena.
                          Also keep in mind what Laambo mentioned earlier.."also, using versioning = good for admins"

Admins:
                          RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-EquilibriumV2-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="http",PackageURL="nl1.gamingredirect.com/6532597845/LoPingArena/RicSim/DM-EquilibriumV2-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="757626265B5E87AAE6058AB1EFCD3EBC")
                          MapRotation=/Game/Maps/DM-equilibrium/DM-EquilibriumV2
                          Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 08-20-2016, 10:37 PM.
                          LoPing
                          Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Thanks alot for your feedback It is indeed the PhilipK textures. I can´t make textures myself, and it´s not something i can learn overnight, so i found his pack of textures and decided to use them in this room as a test to learn how to apply textures to the models but most textures are low resolution or probably i'm doing something wrong thats why they don´t look good. The SM are really low poly because it's easier to apply textures to them that way but i spend 3X more time arranging UV's and texturing than actually modeling. I'll follow your advice and go for the high poly meshes with more details but i don´t know what "high poly" is, and i'm afraid it increases the file size too much and becomes poorly optimized. It´s alot of trial and error for me at this point because its all new to me The lightning generators was just me playing around with the particle systems @Laambo: i have a copy of the shell but its very different than what i have right now but i'll try to deliver a pak this week
                            I know how it feels to be unwrapping models. That's why you have to arrange them in a way that you can just duplicate parts that are already unwrapped. High poly is when you sculpt your mesh or add many details to its surface or even try to model each small segment of large model...
                            Imagine the tree leaves. You could model them individually.... And then render them into texture which is used for "low poly": I have been recently making a willow low poly tree:

The idea is simple: Once you have high poly its easy to go step down. You can use 3dsMax's or mudbox's render to texture to output normal maps and diffuse maps that can bve used for low poly models...You could use 3dsMax Prooptimizer modifier or some custom scripts like LOD creator by Abnishek Subba (I think that was his name) http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/lod-creator
                            Or you could retopologize or reduce mesh in mudbox or zbrush or meshlab (free)
                            Once you have low poly textures its just a matter of knowing how to apply them onto meshes.

When sculpting the model the ultimate task is not placing fully detailed high poly version to the engine. The idea is to generate the high poly onto low poly in a way that low poly will appear to be high poly... So textures are made instead of used. If you want to keep on using textures you should aim at the complex geometry with simple textures rather then straight walls with complex texturing...

And this normal map below is for the simple stone wall model which I sculpted and smoothed with sculpting program.Then I generated this normal map. Unfortunately I couldn't find the model itself to show it:

The examples I mentioned are just examples. They don't provide knowledge or great wisdom. They were merely trying to give you a taste of how fun modeling is.

Here is another fun example: Mapper used very complex materials to cover very simple geometry... The effect was quite unfortunate

And here mapper made a different approach: Complex geometry and simple textures:

Which one seems simplier?
                            Here Jeremy Fenske draws 3D scene:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rIv18U9xb_...ci_scape_3.jpg
                            and transfers it into (by painting on top of it with epic skill.)
                            http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HYVp0lk6Pc...ci_scape_1.jpg

Next step would be creating high poly models from low poly ones and drawings.Ah, and btw: Your job is much harder for no matter how great talent artist has Jeremy has to think with one perspective, one line of sight, one scene and you have to design houndreds of such scenes in your map.... good luck!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-17-2016, 03:23 PM.
                            For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing your wisdom ConradJustin, really good info here.
                              I understand the point you are trying to make, but putting it to practice is a whole different story. I've gotta say your work on Broken is one of the best i've seen here, it´s really inspiring, but i´m nowhere near your level so i thought it would be better to try to keep it simple and changed my approach. I haven't been working much on the map but i abandoned the idea of applying textures for each model and just used a few materials instead and still low poly models, so it saves me alot of time, like this for example:

it's still low poly, maybe i can change in the future for something more detailed but at least its something to put on the map for now. i tried to smooth another mesh before exporting but i didn´t got good results with the lighting, also do you always have 4 sided polygons on your models? and any chance you can share the pak of the map in your last image? thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X