Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	352500
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-LookBothWays rough layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	352499

Premise: After 15 years of hostile business and legal clashes between [Corporation A] and [Corporation B], the [Powers That Be] have put their foot down to keep [This Planet] from spiraling into financial ruin. The two corporations will be forced to pick champions to compete in the Unreal Tournament to decide [Some Important/Absurd Legal Mumbo-Jumbo].

I loves me some overcrowded small maps now and again. The idea is that most of the action takes place on the wide street between the two rival buildings. The buildings won't have many rooms: big lobbies, a couple of side rooms and stairs leading to a very minimal second floor balconies. The street ends would have passive energy walls to restrict players, if the sides of the buildings are included, they shouldn't go very deep. I'd like to keep the street area relatively free of cover, and what is there should be obviously placed by the Unreal Tournament, to suggest their engineers have created an arena of this business zone. If cars are included, I think maybe armored trucks or something, I don't want to have explosive cars, or try and justify why they don't blow up.

For Deathmatch, desirable and high power drops should be at street center lines. Maybe some kind of raised platform in the middle holding damage powerups, make them vulnerable while attempting to grab it. The safer rooms in the building should have low-tier drops available. Jump pads from the streets to the balconies.

I'm not sure this would be fun in CTF, maybe more floors or deeper runs into the building. I'd probably move towards a symmetrical design at the very least.

If we have a bombing run type mode, it could be interesting to extend the street barriers out a block or two, with practically no building rooms. A big long horizontal run with team spawns on the sidelines.

I've a better idea of how the buildings look in my head, These are just rough sketches to get the idea out. The left building would look more rounded and modern, designer stuff. The right building would be colder, more angular, some kind of brick and steel. Both are tall, important landmarks of the city.
    Last edited by throttlekitty; 05-19-2014, 10:50 PM.

You're going to need to have some sort of frog easter egg in there
    David Spalinski
    @spazinski
    Epic Games

Comment

My first map i worked on for UT3 had straight road as part of it. Doesn't worked well :P
      Unofficial Enforcer Model
      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Size of road is important. You may want to find ways to make a big road feel smaller. Either by scaling down to slightly less than realistic, or by adding objects to break up the space like cars and such. This is what we did for Gears of War MP in the Gridlock (if you're familiar).
        David Spalinski
        @spazinski
        Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
          My first map i worked on for UT3 had straight road as part of it. Doesn't worked well :P
          What aspect of it didn't work well? Too open of an area?

Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
          Size of road is important. You may want to find ways to make a big road feel smaller. Either by scaling down to slightly less than realistic, or by adding objects to break up the space like cars and such. This is what we did for Gears of War MP in the Gridlock (if you're familiar).
          I agree on road size. I'm vaguely familiar with Gears, and the cover system is a big part of its gameplay, yes? (consistency of design etc) I totally understand where you're coming from though.

Having an open central area with little cover should be very dangerous and being there should feel pretty close to a punishment. Playing it through in my head, I don't suppose it would be very fun if a player can't get around at all. I've a few ideas on this that I'll play with in the next design.

Comment

Originally posted by throttlekitty View Post
            What aspect of it didn't work well? Too open of an area?
            Too open, to flat, no interesting movement and dynamic path switching. It just felt dull. And it a bit smaller than what you showed on concept image.

Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
            ... or by adding objects to break up the space like cars and such. This is what we did for Gears of War MP in the Gridlock (if you're familiar).
            Adding cars works for GoW, because they're becoming covers what is supporting core mechanics. In case of UT... not that much - it won't make movement feel faster. It might work a bit like... lets say emulation of corridors but this doesn't add any verticality.
            Unofficial Enforcer Model
            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
            X