[PROTOTYPE] CTF-Clouds

Click image for larger version

Name:	clods_shot3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	388142
    "What do you do when lighting is building?"
    - typical level design question.

So I have been seeing great maps around in this forum.... I have to go back in the mapping zone myself!
    Drawing some stuff (like I usually do) and decided I don't want to stay idle. I have heard CTF is now popular.

V13

V14

Download (270MB)
    drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1WkZ2djJVVlFiNTg

Pak name:
    CTF-Clouds-14-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Checksum:
    c8e8866063f180678e6386c31131c3b2

FILE PATH:
    /Game/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/CTF-Clouds-14.umap

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA (https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).*

IN ORDER TO PLAY THE MAP:

1.Download the .pak file.
    2.Place it here \Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\DownloadedPaks
    3. Launch the game and choose custom match
    4.Choose CTF and search for the map in the drop down map list
    5.Map works with bots now, 12 players is optimal number
    6.Have fun!

PS. I hope you spent your Christmas in a good atmosphere among friends and families! Shout outs to Rainmaker for the great feedback once again!

So far in UT 4 I made
    • steel environment-(DM-Anturium),
    • wooden city (DM-Broken)...
    • Now its time for stone. Do you guys have any wishes or ideas I could use? I have seen many amazing castle like medival themed environments... I want something more exotic!

It should be symmetrical map I suppose..?

Current map status:

Name:	1.png
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	388137

Name:	2.png
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	388138

Name:	3.png
Size:	567.3 KB
ID:	388139

Name:	4.png
Size:	594.7 KB
ID:	388140

Name:	5.png
Size:	637.5 KB
ID:	388141

*One day I will read this Eula thingy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 05-24-2017, 12:00 PM.
    For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Hey conrad could you edit your avatar signature to post all your work done till date? thanks! Nice sketches!
    About advices, dont forget to put some indication or signs about where are the player landing (blue base or red base)

Comment

Na Pali-based temple would be great idea (see Unreal 1 levels for example)
      CHAOS en Krojerk Gaming - UT Maps gameplay, Full Unreal Walkthrough and more!

Comment

Hi, Very much looking forward to your art work. Please keep in mind CTF is way different from DM so look for inspiration in most-played pub maps such as Titan Pass, Blank, Pistola, Quick. Look for variety of flag-routes, but don't go too crazy. Also at least 2 different Z-levels help a lot. Last and not least, give some trick-jump options to please advanced runners. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker_CZ View Post
          Hi, Very much looking forward to your art work. Please keep in mind CTF is way different from DM so look for inspiration in most-played pub maps such as Titan Pass, Blank, Pistola, Quick. Look for variety of flag-routes, but don't go too crazy. Also at least 2 different Z-levels help a lot. Last and not least, give some trick-jump options to please advanced runners. Good luck!
          Thank you, glad to hear that Rainmaker, would you elaborate on trick-jump options and 2 different Z-levels? In my point of view CTF is different from DM in a way of how the routes go. In DM they make circles around the center, in CTF they stretch from point A to point B... (omg, that sounds so stupid! Sorry!) I intend to make some platforms in the bases (see the top down layout on the attached drawing)

Titan Pass is one of the inspirations for this map, DixiMaN. I am also taking inspirations from Angkor Wat, as you can see on attached image...

Darksonny
          , thanks for the advice, I am still not certain what could be such indicator. I will obviously try to use light as a guide and contrast as well as architecture... However I am afraid you mean something totally different, right? I will try to update my signature soon. I just want to make some maps first.

Mind that the top-down sketch shows only the half of the map. Imagine it being copied and rotated 180 degrees and placed on the bottom....and you will got the whole thing!

oh, and I have one more question. Do you like stairs?

EDIT: Here: I know you have good imagination but nevertheless:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-18-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Hi Conrad, about indicators, its better for you letting fly your creative mind about what to do (still its early starting to think about it, right now at current stage its very pre-alpha starting with sketches and drawing lol), but I help you in this:

1) As you said earlier, some kind of light torchs
            2) Some old wooden poster with a arrow (blue or red it depends the land you are) nailed in the ground. at least a few of them (2 or 3 in every side not much)
            3) If you are planning to put some rocks (with several sizes) you could put a sort of hand painted blue/red arrow on it, so this could looks more natural.

About the stairs, when I see a stair in a map I always tend to worry if that feature in the playability could affect to the map in some way, if you put very straight vertical map with a high degree of height (its not important their width here, only their heights) player could see their fight's speed very slowed or slowed down, because forces player to see more attentive to how to manage their movement instead moving backward/forward and fragging at same time. Another thing is the player's curved movement, the more curved is that stairt the more hard is to move in it. So I suggest if were the case, create a not too curved stair, not too hight nor too hight degree for heights, dont do very vertical stairs stops you running nor jumpin' you know. There in ut has got bad maps in this sense and another good maps using stairs, only matters how do you do that stairs.

If you create a very balanced stairs (not too hight nor too steep stair) this could work well and the map could be played very smoothly.
            Last edited by darksonny; 09-18-2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Man, your pencil drawings look so beautiful...

I agree with darksonny on the stairs. While it's cool to have some stairs here and there, flag carriers often enjoy having freedom of movement and trickjump opportunities. When you put flag carriers too often into staircases (especially long or medium-length staircases) they will most likely feel completely funneled (I think width is definitely relevant here) and they won't have any other alternative than reaching the top of the stairs, which doesn't sound like fun... You can of course use that to your advantage in some intentional places, but I think stairs are being abused a bit in your top-down view. You may want to get rid of the ones that are not relevant, and replace other ones by jumpads and lifts for variety and trickjumps. I think short stairs can be OK to mix up a bit with the height variety of the map, though...

It will also be worth checking your sightlines so the map is not overexposed and intimidating for Flag Carriers, and thinking about where you will be placing the spawns (you may have to create new spaces away from both the Flags and other hot spots in the map). Best of luck!
              DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
              My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
              My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

looks neato
                CTF-Azimuth [UT4] - CP_Harbour [TF2] - Artstation - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
                  Man, your pencil drawings look so beautiful...

I agree with darksonny on the stairs. While it's cool to have some stairs here and there, flag carriers often enjoy having freedom of movement and trickjump opportunities. When you put flag carriers too often into staircases (especially long or medium-length staircases) they will most likely feel completely funneled (I think width is definitely relevant here) and they won't have any other alternative than reaching the top of the stairs, which doesn't sound like fun... You can of course use that to your advantage in some intentional places, but I think stairs are being abused a bit in your top-down view. You may want to get rid of the ones that are not relevant, and replace other ones by jumpads and lifts for variety and trickjumps. I think short stairs can be OK to mix up a bit with the height variety of the map, though...

It will also be worth checking your sightlines so the map is not overexposed and intimidating for Flag Carriers, and thinking about where you will be placing the spawns (you may have to create new spaces away from both the Flags and other hot spots in the map). Best of luck!
                  +1 Another way for using stairs is not to abuse them in size and spaces, for example; you can create a sort of walkway or corridor with inclinated (not in the sense of pronnounced ramps) or plain grounds alternated with little and very short stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
                    Thank you, glad to hear that Rainmaker, would you elaborate on trick-jump options and 2 different Z-levels? In my point of view CTF is different from DM in a way of how the routes go. In DM they make circles around the center, in CTF they stretch from point A to point B... (omg, that sounds so stupid! Sorry!) I intend to make some platforms in the bases (see the top down layout on the attached drawing)

Mind that the top-down sketch shows only the half of the map. Imagine it being copied and rotated 180 degrees and placed on the bottom....and you will got the whole thing!

oh, and I have one more question. Do you like stairs?
                    I am not an expert but anyway..

By Z-Levels I mean to have some kind of ground route area and some upper root while having multiple options to travers from one to another. This way flagrunner can try to fool his opponents by going from low ground to walls and other way around. This is also connected with trick-jumps. It should be possible, at least in some places, to hammer-jump from the ground to the upper parts of the map and evade this way. Also you should provide enough cover and break the line of sight often enough but on the other hand don't make the flagrunner completely invisible.

Having said this, I can see that your plan already reflects this since you have some walls and some ground areas, I am not really worried now.

Concerning stairs - certainly remember to make the collision straight slope, not stairs. Stairs should be only the visual pass. And in terms of game-play, CTF has defenders, who tend to spam slopes which flagcarriers are supposed to climb. Take the waterslide in Titan Pass as an example - very easy to defend. I'd prefer lifts, jump pads or upwards walldodge options.

Comment

Originally posted by Selentic View Post
                      looks neato
                      :P

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
                      I agree with darksonny on the stairs(...)flag carriers often enjoy having freedom of movement and trickjump opportunities.(...)and they won't have any other alternative reaching the top of the stairs, which doesn't sound like fun... (...)(you may have to create new spaces away from both the Flags and other hot spots in the map)
                      I will certainly create additional little areas and niches for spawn points! Thanks G.Lecter. And for the comment on the stairs.... Im glad you liked drawing. How about this one?

Originally posted by darksonny View Post
                      1) As you said earlier, some kind of light torchs
                      2) Some old wooden poster with a arrow (blue or red it depends the land you are) nailed in the ground. at least a few of them (2 or 3 in every side not much)
                      3) If you are planning to put some rocks (with several sizes) you could put a sort of hand painted blue/red arrow on it, so this could looks more natural.

About the stairs (...) player could see their fight's speed very slowed or slowed down, because forces player to see more attentive to how to manage their movement instead moving backward/forward and fragging at same time. I suggest (...) create a not too curved stair, not too hight nor too hight degree for heights, dont do very vertical stairs stops you running nor jumpin' you know.
                      If I uderstand correctly stairs are a distraction for player who uses them, I will try to make them straight, short and not very high. I will also force climbing them when attacking, and climbing DOWN when escaping with flag... Thanks Darksonny! Torches and paintings on the walls sound good. I will also add flags on walls (see attached sketch)
                      Originally posted by Rainmaker_CZ View Post
                      (...)ground route area and some upper root while having multiple options to travers from one to another. This way flagrunner can try to fool his opponents (...)This is also connected with trick-jumps. It should be possible, at least in some places, to hammer-jump from the ground to the upper parts of the map and evade this way. Also you should provide enough cover (...)

Concerning stairs - certainly remember to make the collision straight slope, not stairs. Stairs should be only the visual pass. (...) I'd prefer lifts, jump pads or upwards walldodge options.
                      Noted, Rainmaker! I really like the idea of connecting routes in unexpected ways. I had no idea stairs have to be smoothed out! I thought engine does that for you with small haight differences...

Attached Files
                      Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-19-2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

those tree's arms slapped to building gives me a image of a sort of a semi-ruined castle is that right? Lol nice drawings!
                        The stairs ...I would resume it in a few word if you choose to put on map stairs, make sure they are not too limitative to playing the map and or for players. Im interested in seeing how would manage this when you pass to mapping phase.

BTW what is that ctf mapping contest on? Its the first time I read that event O.o

Comment

I really enjoyed seeing your sketches [MENTION=245743]ConradJustin[/MENTION]! Love the top-down view of the level.
                          Stacey Conley
                          -----------------------------
                          Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                          Epic Games, Inc.
                          Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
                            I had no idea stairs have to be smoothed out! I thought engine does that for you with small haight differences...[/IMG]
                            If your mesh has simplified collision, then the engine will definitely do it for you. Smoothing stairs with BlockingVolumes sounds like a good practice, though...

Edit: Yeah, love that new drawing too... I wish I had those drawing skills myself, they would have made my life so much easier at college...
                            Edit2: You may want to have a look to DOM-CBP3-Stronghold for UT3 by evilmrfrank for inspiration btw...
                            Last edited by TheGlecter; 09-20-2016, 06:22 AM.
                            DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                            My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                            My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Thanks Darksonny!
                              There is no mapping contest. Unfortunately.

G.Lecter: What collage? Did you study fine arts?
                              I have university myself at this moment and work so the time will become an issue... But drawing is always so great!

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                              I really enjoyed seeing your sketches @ConradJustin! Love the top-down view of the level.
                              Thanks, Flak! You're the best! I like working on sketches. It makes life easier and designing more fun! Here is some of the modular assests I put together lately:

And textures...
                              ]
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X