• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PROTOTYPE] DM-Hollow

Current build: WIP05 (01/06/2017)
    <<<Download>>> (309MB)

MapRotation=/Game/Content/DM-Hollow/DM-Hollow_WIP05
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Hollow_WIP05-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/users/HyperArmor9d79/DM-Hollow_WIP05-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="27b9ac5577d542a68d0a602f141ff0d3")

“I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).”

To add on the epicness of Unreal Tournament, I decided to make a map taking place inside a giant world tree! It is still WIP and there are a lot more things I want to add. Feedback and comments are greatly appreciated!

The layout is fairly simple, which consists of the tree, a courtyard, and a sniper tower. The inside of the tree has more vertical gameplay with slower paced combat, and more powerups to find. The outside courtyard is flatter with faster paced combat. Basically the flow is going in and out of the tree, and the sniper tower is just an alternate path to break it up. I made the two areas visually distinct, with the inside dark and warm and the outside bright and cool. Most of the action is at the base of the tree, because the middle is inaccessible. There are two teleporters to the top of the temple, which has a leap-of-faith to get berserk and drop back down to the courtyard.

I want to thank ConradJustin for providing the amazing architectural assets for the map! I also used a lot of unreal marketplace stuff alongside the UT assets.
    Here is a list of credits:
    • ConradJustin - Modular architecture assets (buildings)
    • PurePolygons - Procedural Nature Pack Vol.1 (tree roots & landscape)
    • SilverTM - Nature Package (small trees & plants)
    • Eudes - Wasteland Rocks Pack (rocks & cliffs)
    • Everett Gunther - Ultra Dynamic Sky (skybox)

Attached Files
    Last edited by Hanway Lin; 01-06-2017, 10:57 PM.
    Email: hanwaylin@gmail.com
    Maps: DM-Hollow (WIP)

Holy cow, man! I am looking forward to seeing this project! Sounds very promising and you got some crazy concept art to work with! Seems like a huge project and plenty ofwork to be done, especially modelling-wise. You see: I happen to make similar themed map at the moment and what do you think about cooporating? I'm not sure but I think it would be quite extraordinary to join forces on unique projects like this.

I was thinking: We could generate a base of models, such as natural tree roots formations, modular architecture and ruins assets based on the concept art inspired by Angkor Wat.... That base of assets could be used in both our projects... Even if thats just a single tree or details such as foliage or debris. hmm?

After all: We all are learning here, right? Why not do this together?

PS. I like the "verticality" thing in maps. It adds to the depth of perception... +1
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 10-10-2016, 09:43 AM.
    For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Looks amazing, when you upload a pak I will happily put it on unrealpugs servers

Comment

I very like this concept! I'd suggest to add some Nali designs to stick with the Unreal universe
        CHAOS en Krojerk Gaming - UT Maps gameplay, Full Unreal Walkthrough and more!

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
          Holy cow, man! I am looking forward to seeing this project! Sounds very promising and you got some crazy concept art to work with! Seems like a huge project and plenty ofwork to be done, especially modelling-wise. You see: I happen to make similar themed map at the moment and what do you think about cooporating? I'm not sure but I think it would be quite extraordinary to join forces on unique projects like this.

I was thinking: We could generate a base of models, such as natural tree roots formations, modular architecture and ruins assets based on the concept art inspired by Angkor Wat.... That base of assets could be used in both our projects... Even if thats just a single tree or details such as foliage or debris. hmm?

After all: We all are learning here, right? Why not do this together?

PS. I like the "verticality" thing in maps. It adds to the depth of perception... +1
          That sounds like a great idea! I'm not much of a 3d modeler so I was going to use mostly UT assets, but if you're willing to let me use some of your assets for CTF-Clouds that would be epic! Let's make a kick-ass map together!

Comment

Pretty neat concept you've posted here Hanway Lin! Hope to be able to play it some day! Keep it Up!

Comment

okey! Whats your workflow, did you start brushing the map? We could start from having some bsp or models stack on top of each other (I am not a huge fan of the bsp in UE4). If you have some sort of composition you could send it as a screenshot or .obj if you know how. I could prepare drawings and concept and try to create models that would work for both maps.

Do you have the layout worked out?

So:
              1. You make the simple geometry
              2. Take screenshots of some perspectives on your map or stack up parts of your map and export them as .obj
              3. I begin working on those - I would prefer the basic models so I can have the idea of a scale but screenshots are fine too.
              4. Do you have textures? Its going to be easier if you choose a few textures that would be the base of your map.

Unless you want me to help you with the layout? But I think its better that you do it and I focus on modeling part, okey?
              Why did I say I want to cooporate:

1.New experience (I was cooporating long time ago on a map with somoene and it didn't work out very well - I hope this time it will be better!)
              2.Better quality of assets. You think of the shape and idea and I will make them happen.
              3.I have seen your map SkyEngine. I liked it! And you make really similar theme to what I make now

Comment

Here is preview of how I could contribute here. I could perhaps try making two different ones. I can also do the mountain model, but I need concept art from you first. And possible shapes veriations... This sample is small set of roots however it could also be used for a bigger tree model. I must say your concept fascinates me.

Also how do you intend on making the large tree model? It could be a single piece.... and it would use vertex painting perhaps for texture variation? I suggest you send me some geometry of it and I will try to roughly model it and try to figure out best workflow... I think its good to start from details however in the end you need great layout.

I think: As soon as you get the layout done and are happy with result we could play-test the map together...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ConradJustin; 10-18-2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Hey ConradJustin, that tree root is looking dope! I'm blocking out the map right now, which should be done in a day or so. I'm also building the large tree using splines for better layout control. I don't have much experience in concept art but maybe we can find someone who can give us a hand.

Comment

Sorry for the holdup, been super busy with work lately. Here is a playable build and some WIP shots. Feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Got some hidden powerups in the map that are a bit tricky to reach, but all possible to get without rocket jumping. Also the top of the tower has a little surprise.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hanway Lin; 11-25-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Very cool level! I've added it to the MPF servers
                      -Fn>Metalfist
                      ---------------------
                      Metalfist @ PU redirect | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 CTF Maps | Nyandeemer | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | PlayUnreal Discord | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | DeviantArt

Comment

Niceness here Hanway Lin & BiGUp for sharing your works! Keep it Up!

So first off - What a refreshingly cool map! Not much to comment on at this stage of release for except maybe the top.

This has to be the highest drop off I've come across so far. Pretty cool if you ask me. I just wish there was either a teleport or a serious boosted jump pad somewhere down there
                        which adds another way up here.

This height makes the sniper/shock rifle the only two weapons effective at such a challenging distance.

Overall enjoyment to be had with the complexity of your works. Keep it Up!!
                        Last edited by DutchSmoke; 10-28-2016, 08:51 AM. Reason: tested

Comment

Good job so far! I messaged you with some stuff if you are interested in cooperation! Whatever you decide: Good luck!

Comment

this looks rather sick, good job, how did you start blocking out the tree mesh? i *guess* you made the BSP buildings first and then somekind of placeholder bsp converted to static mesh, wich you then import in 3ds/maya to get the scale?
                            keep at it! looks promising
                            BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                            DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone! I got another update (WIP02) read to go. Made the outside courtyard a bit larger. Also changed the inside lighting to make it more realistic while guiding players to important spots.

Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                              This has to be the highest drop off I've come across so far. Pretty cool if you ask me. I just wish there was either a teleport or a serious boosted jump pad somewhere down there
                              which adds another way up here.
                              Appreciate the feedback DutchSmoke! I added a teleport on top of the sniper tower that's reachable by rocket jump. So now to get berserk players have two options, either less health but faster traverse with rocket jump, or safer but slower traverse on foot.
                              I also attached berserk to a chain hanging from above so you need to jump off the catwalk to reach it. That should help make the top more of a quick powerup area so players won't stay and shoot from up there.

Originally posted by irridium77 View Post
                              this looks rather sick, good job, how did you start blocking out the tree mesh? i *guess* you made the BSP buildings first and then somekind of placeholder bsp converted to static mesh, wich you then import in 3ds/maya to get the scale?
                              keep at it! looks promising
                              Thanks irridium77! The blockout of the tree was done using spline meshes to give me more control of the layout. Once the layout is done I'm going to do some tests to see if replacing them with static meshes will increase performance.

Here are some shots of lighting changes:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X