DM-Balbadd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Balbadd

The .pak has been updated! (2/28/2017) - Version.004 --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...3dWcFpfZFFnVG8
    ---
    Hi all, my name is Trinh Nguyen. I'm a 2nd year Design & Production student at NHTV University of Applied Sciences (CMGT/IGAD) in Breda, The Netherlands. You have probably already seen some work from my peers

I am relatively new with the game and engine itself.
    I am a total beginner at level design for FPS/Multiplayer games. To be honest this is going to be the first time I'm making a FPS level, so I would love to receive some tips and tricks.
    I would really appreciate it if you could take some of your time to give me feedback about the good and bad things of my level . You could do this by commenting down below.

If you don’t like something about my map than please say it. It’s the only way I will be able to make the iterations to improve my level and knowledge.
    Please remind that I can only use constructed feedback .

Additional Information about the map
    - This is a DM map, designed for 6 players. It got 6 weapons (flak cannon, rocket launcher, link gun, stinger, sniper and the bio rifle).
    - The power ups that are available in the map are the U-damage, Keg of Health, Armor(Chest,Thigh-pads,Helmet).
    - The level name is DM-Balbadd-V2

The Theme
    The theme for the level is a Persian styled building/fort. Its architectural style is called: “Arcuate”. The characteristic components of this style are the big domes and pointy arched doorways. All the rooms have their own distinct features which seperate them from each other. This will help the player to recognize the area better and thus improve their navigation through the map.

Level Pictures (Pictures of the current whitebox date: 11/11/2016)

Iterations

Build 1.00.1
    -Added more movement options for the player
    -Revision of the long corridor (nearby the rocket launcher)
    -Added ammo pick ups
    -Now has its appropriate name and vote-thumbnail

Build 1.00.2

-Added different textures (no more plain textures, hurray)
    -Added the bio rifle
    -Added decals and lights to guide the player through the level with more ease
    -Corners have been cut to allow for more fluid movement.
    -Some areas have gone some slight geometry & texture change, to improve the players depth perception.

Thanks for reading/commenting/testing!
    ------------------------------
    -Download Pak: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...3dWcFpfZFFnVG8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TrinhStudios; 02-28-2017, 04:09 PM. Reason: Uploaded the pak for your enjoyment!
    DM-Balbadd (WIP)
    Student at the NHTV University. Design & Production IGAD/CMGT.
    Create->Test->Iterate

It looks nice so far

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

holi ***t Opened the thread started scrolling down looking at the sketches... thinking i cant make sense of it how it will look, then keep scrolling to WOW!
      Join the community Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Played the map for awhile and I love the theme and feel of the area, especially the marketplace! I took a few screenshots and did a little paintover.
        The UDamage reachable by jump pad is cool, I just wish there was something there to hold it so it wasn't floating in the air. The hole that you jump through is also a bit small, hit my head a couple times.
        There was a long hallway at one side of the map that I think can use another exit.
        The marketplace is really nice and I wish there was more routes you can take traversing it.

Great work, keep it up!
        Attached Files
        Email: hanwaylin@gmail.com
        Maps: DM-Hollow (WIP)

Comment

I agree with what Hanway Lin has pointed out with a few sidenotes I came across while enjoying a run around on it.

A little ledge bump here would allow for another path added to this highly active center.

A few stacked box's here would add another path to the vials. (although I do Love the lift/wall dodge to it)

Lastly, I'd love to see some more ammo pickups dotted across the map.. specially plenty of snipe ammo
          A very wellustig made map so far! Keep it Up!
          LoPing
          Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Update 28/10/2016

Hi there, first I want to thank you all for the encouragements and suggestions.
            It took me a while to update my level as I first had to figure out why it took ages to build the geometry of the level.
            Anyhow I made some small changes to my level with the suggestions you gave me.

[CHANGES]
            * The long boring corridor
            I agreed it was a long boring corridor. My peers and lectures also mentioned that I should change it.
            * Adding more movement options/routes for the player
            In the beginning I was a bit afraid of adding more routes in my map. As this meant that other routes might be used less often. I had to rethink if it was necessary to add those additional routes. I decided to add the suggested routes anyways, as they are small changes that I could remove at any moment anyways.
            * Making the hole towards the U-damage a bit bigger
            Wow thanks Hanway Lin for mentioning! I had been wondering for about a few days why I sometimes couldn't take the jump. The hole was too small, that explains it.
            * Adding some small visuals to fill the scene.
            Some lamps and decals.

The new corridor, it doesn't feel that crowded anymore. (The decals obviously aren't mine, I took them from the UT4 Folder) Just be sure to not land on the spikes while trying to jump towards that hole.

Yeah, that little bump looks stupid at the moment. I will think something for it. But for now it is alright.

I changed the color of the exponential height fog. It was white/grey at first & I also added some "designer quality lanterns " to the scene.

[IN PROGRESS]
            *Deciding on a way to make the U-damage not seeming to float in the air.
            *Deciding if additional routes are desirable.
            *Adding ammunition pick-ups in the level.
            *Testing if the flow of the map and spawns are okay.

The new .pak has been uploaded!

Last edited by TrinhStudios; 11-12-2016, 04:05 PM.
            DM-Balbadd (WIP)
            Create->Test->Iterate

Comment

TrinhST, you redefine the word "Quick". (Also don't forget to name your map accordingly along with a mapvote screeny)
              LoPing

Comment

Update: 29-10-2016

[BUGS]
                I had some small problems with the lighting in the scene. I have no idea why the lighting in the editor seems to be different from the one in-game. This is quite inconvenient when trying to nail down the atmospheric feel of the scene. The in-game scene always seems to be brighter outdoors but dark for interiors. As you can see in the pictures down below, the in-game screen looks more saturated. (Which I do like BTW )

Editor screen

In-game screen

[CHANGES]
                In this build I focused once again more on giving the player more movement options. I want the player to be able to navigate easily through the map.

This little cloth acts as a trampoline. It enables the player to get on elevated places.

I have drawn out colored lines for the paths you can take.

- See you all soon with an update
                Last edited by TrinhStudios; 11-12-2016, 04:09 PM.
                DM-Balbadd (WIP)
                Create->Test->Iterate

Comment

BigUp for the update TrinhST! The lighting issue is something that's been around for awhile, so always keep in mind.. pre-alpha.
                  Also consider name'n future map releases(versions) accordingly eg: DM-BalbaddA,B or DM-Balbaddv1,v2 etc,etc. This would facilitate an admins life abit in keeping up2date.
                  Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 10-30-2016, 01:00 PM. Reason: map versions
                  LoPing

Comment

Update 11/11/2016
                    Hi all, long time no see.
                    Thanks for all the great feedback. I had been busy with making some documentations about the level for my exam. As this was a school project, I was able to engage in the making of this level for 6-8 weeks long.
                    I will be starting with a new school project soon. This means I will still work on it but I won't be able to update the level as often as I would had liked.

I am quite happy with the progress that I have made in the past 8 weeks, I think the level is almost finished, design wise.
                    If you have some feedback for my level in which I could improve on, I will read it and make sure it is addressed in the next build .

For this build I mainly have changed some small things such as Updating the textures, the previous textures were pretty dull and boring.
                    Lighting and decals will now help the player to navigate through the map.
                    See more changes in the list down below

[CHANGES]
                    Build 1.00.2
                    -Added different textures (no more plain boring textures, hurray)
                    -Added the bio rifle
                    -Added decals and lights to guide the player through the level with more ease
                    -Corners have been cut to allow for more fluid movement.
                    -Some areas have gone some slight geometry & texture change, to improve the players depth perception.
                    -New pictures has been added to the forums, replacing the older ones. (See main post above)

[IN PROGRESS]

*Deciding on a way to make the U-damage not seeming to float in the air. Is it needed?
                    *Small changes to create more vision and options for the players, in order to create a scenario in which the player can predict and counter an opponent.
                    *Evaluating all the pick-ups and spawns.
                    *Finishing documents and prepare to pitch the theme to artists, in order to proceed with world beautification (Q1 2017).

The new .pak has been uploaded!

Thanks for reading/commenting/testing
                    Last edited by TrinhStudios; 11-12-2016, 04:15 PM. Reason: Ninja Fix
                    DM-Balbadd (WIP)
                    Create->Test->Iterate

Comment

TY kind sir!
                      LoPing

Comment

I was not sure if the old .pak still worked after the update. Nonetheless here is a link to the new .pak!

Version-003

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...3dWcFpfZFFnVG8

Enjoy!

---
                        PS: I have been busy with school and won't be releasing a new update soon or change something major about this level.
                        The next update you could expect is an entire world beautification of this level. See you on 2-3 months!
                        Last edited by TrinhStudios; 01-29-2017, 09:08 AM.
                        DM-Balbadd (WIP)
                        Create->Test->Iterate

Comment

Thank you for the recook TrinhST!
                          LoPing

Comment

Working...
                          X