Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Mamba

Hi everyone,

DM-Mamba is my first ever UT level. It was designed for 2-3 player death matches. The goal was to use modular meshes and smart materials to maximize efficiency, since this was a rather large project for just one person over the span of a few months.

I would love to get some feedback!

Here is a download of the pak file: (Packed using UT 4.15)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/aj-...r.pak/download

Once again here is a download of the pak file: (Packed using UT 4.15)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/aj-...r.pak/download

Server code:
    MapRotation=/Game/Maps/DM-Mamba/DM-MambaWeeks
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-MambaWeeks-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="
    netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aj-weeks-ut-maps/DM-MambaWeeks-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="686bc0f03470d601b84078f61bb581fb")

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing back from some of you!
    Last edited by AJ Weeks; 04-16-2017, 12:04 PM.

Hah! een Vlaming, bere.

Map looks good, Airy, Good visual clarity, there seems to be enough z-axis fighting opportunities.
    I'll upload the map to Absolute (Amsterdam) HUB (Later the Indiana/Atlanta HUB will follow)

come join us some time.
    I'll report back with some feedback on your map in about a week.

cya around
    Grt

edit:
    Code:
    Could you maybe drag the map out of "restrictedassets/maps" ? 
    Make a custom folder DM-Mamba under game..
    ***/game/Maps/DM-Mamba/DM-Mamba.pak-windowsnoeditor'ish
    Last edited by irridium77; 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM.
    BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
    DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Thanks for the interest irridium77!

I moved the umap file to '/Game/Maps/DM-Mamba/' and repackaged as you suggested. I updated the download link in my post, and the server code.

Looking forward to hopping on a server and playing with you!

Comment

Thank you for share'n your works with us AJ Weeks! So after a few rounds on it, I found it rather enjoyable.
        These are some some pointers I came across;

Maybe consider making the transition on these areas a bit wider, they felt abit too easy.

Don't forget to cap the ceiling on your map and the highlighted area could possibly do nicely with say, a window or a slide under passage.

Moving this passage over to the right would give folk's going for the shock a semi decent chance of getting it and offsetting this serious straight across the map shot area.

This are just some of my first impressions I had whilst playing your map and it felt good overall, just keep in mind-more play on it will equal more ideas in the near future. I hope it helps you out some and Keep it Up!
        Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 11-02-2016, 05:26 PM.
        LoPing
        Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

hello,

Had a few runs in this, the layout is interesting but it defenatly needs work.
          Everything i wanted to point out DutchSmoke already did..

Consider making the inside room where shock is larger! it felt cramped there.. make the 100armor bridge wider and pull the walls back further out..
          inner space needs more room..

cheers
          BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
          DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Thanks for much for the detailed feedback! I implemented the changes you recommended and it definitely plays nicer now. I will continue to play test it with friends and post updates here.

One question - what do you mean by putting a cap on the map? As in putting a roof over the entire thing?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply AJ Weeks and yes a roof(cap) is indeed what I ment simply because some of us like to play UT with the TL (translocator) on and we like surprises.
              LoPing

Comment

[UPDATE]

I've spent some time meshing out one room of my level and I'd love to get some feedback! The plan is to re-use as many of the modular meshes I've created as possible.
                Most of my materials still need a lot of work, but I do want to keep a relatively clean look going.

Comment

I would always try to keep the Player Collision of your meshed map as close to the BSP shell as possible. I see some stuff that sticks out of the main walls, which can be quite annoying in a competitive multiplayer game. Your perfect goal should be a level that you can smoothly run backwards and close to every wall without any obstacle that made you get stuck.

Having said that... I think it's coming along quite nicely!
                  DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
                  My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
                  My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
                    I would always try to keep the Player Collision of your meshed map as close to the BSP shell as possible. I see some stuff that sticks out of the main walls, which can be quite annoying in a competitive multiplayer game. Your perfect goal should be a level that you can smoothly run backwards and close to every wall without any obstacle that made you get stuck.
                    Having said that... I think it's coming along quite nicely!
                    Agreed. It does look good so far! Keep it Up!
                    LoPing

Comment

Great, thanks for the feedback! I've updated the main post with the newest pak and some new screenshots as well as a short video. I'm finished with the level for now, might come back to it in the future and change a few things though.

Comment

Sweetness! BiGUp for the repack kind sir!
                        LoPing

Comment

I should note, it was packed right before the update, I'll update my post in the coming days with a new pak using 4.15

Comment

lol and I was get'n geared up for messing this beauty up some.
                            LoPing

Comment

i think you did a good job
                              i liked the lights behind the grate

will be better with some sort of reflection-shadow on the floor
                              but is good even is this way

Comment

Working...
                              X