DM-Silo [2-4 players]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Silo [2-4 players]

Hi guys this is an update on my map, you can find the original post below.
    I've spent a lot time on meshing my level and some more on the layout based on feedback from the forum and friends.

I have separated the peripheral area's a bit more and made them more suited for combat in stead of simply paths on the side of the level.
    The low ground has been changed to a more open space as well, as it suffered from tight corridors and no real reason to be there.
    There are 2 new ways out of the low ground so you don't have to leave it by crossing a ramp that's out in the open.
    The side path below the sniper might not have enough purpose so if you have any ideas regarding item placement that could fix that throw them my way (I'm considering putting the 50 armor there in stead).
    Any other feedback is welcome, however only 2 rooms are getting close to done though so take into account that a lot of the meshing is unfinished or temporary.

Here are some screenshots and a new .pak file
    http://imgur.com/a/hWPko
    https://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.ne...wsNoEditor.pak

Original post:

Spoiler
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YoshaVD; 01-24-2017, 02:29 AM. Reason: formatting

Looking really nice for a first map! Great work

I'll give it a play soon and pop some feedback in!

Comment

The layout looks really interesting keep it up!

Comment

Very impressive for a first map!
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Good job so far!

I like that there is idea and nice geometry in your first map. You seem to create movement possibilities such as dodge jumps and wall runs...Keep up the good work!
          I strongly recommend seeing the Tidu's DM-Nine.
          Attached Files
          For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Always a good surprise to come across new works, BigUp for share'n your works with us YoshaVD! Loaded & locked onto the LoPing Arena for your enjoyment.
            Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 11-21-2016, 04:05 PM.
            LoPing
            Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Good start! I like the different elevations you got going. There are also lots of diagonals which I think is great. I agree with ConradJustin that some areas feel too narrow. The hexagon elevator place can also be improved, there were times where I got stuck and couldn't go through the hole. Small issues aside, the map feels like one giant room to me. Enemies were coming from all directions and I didn't have a grasp on where I want to go. I think it would be better if you separated the battle areas more, so fights are compartmentalized instead of everyone bundled together. It would also make fighting in different sections of the map feel different and improve navigation.
              Email: hanwaylin@gmail.com
              Maps: DM-Hollow (WIP)

Comment

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates/replies, I have been quite busy with other school projects and I didn't want to post without any actual progress.
                In terms of layout not terribly much has changed (I will address some of the proposed changes below), however I have been meshing the main elevator room.
                I will post a screenshot of my progress there in the original post.

@ConradJustin (no idea if and how you can actually ping people on this forum)
                I agree with most of your remarks, I removed the area's you showed. Those were not intended as playable terrain but I wanted some natural light coming in (I will look into that again later).
                I might accommodate the terrain to rotate that jump pad.
                Those edges on the high path are pipes and I think I'll keep those. At least on the inner side of the level because it's designed to be an exposed path to jump to the shield belt.

I've been looking into those narrow passages and have thought of a couple adaptations, however many of them involve affecting the rest of the level in a rather big way.
                When playing I didn't have much issues with the width of those paths, the last screen you posted shows the narrow passage have the most issues with.
                How cripling do you think these narrow passages are?

About the room, the main reason to go in there is to use the jump pad to get to the armor and possibly the shield belt or a high vantage point.
                However I agree it's crappy in its current state, I've tried a couple of different designs for it including making it a more open room going to the first floor with an entrance from there.
                This could remove the need for that ramp on the low ground by adding a different way out and solve the narrow passage issue as well.
                Any idea's regarding this area are most welcome.

One last comment, the jump from the elevator tower to the shield belt was not intentional. I figured because of the 100 armor already being on that tower having the easy jump to the belt would be bad.
                What do you think?

@DutchSmoke
                Thanks for putting it on your server, if I find the time I might come on to play some time (with an updated pak).

@Hanway Lin
                Where exactly did you get stuck? Can't recall that every happening to me before.
                I'm thinking of adding some more line of sight blockage towards the center but I think that might make the map a bit too large for 1v1.
                For 4 player DM it could be an improvement though (feel free to call me out on this because I don't know the game terribly well).
                Any specific area's you'd like to see more seperated? There's a large open area close to the sniper I probably want to isolate a bit more.

About not knowing where to go, I don't have that problem but I made the map so yea I'm biased af.
                The basic concept would be:
                Health on the low ground so you have to limit your mobility(but have more cover than on the middle floor) in order to get it.
                Armor on the high ground on each side of the map with the belt in the center.
                The center middle ground serves as cover and to have a lot of options after grabbing the belt (grab some vials with a slide to new cover).
                If you have any idea's on how to make this concept work better or reasons why this is a bad idea please share.

I will start working on this project a lot now so expect an update soon.
                Last edited by YoshaVD; 12-28-2016, 09:47 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

By getting stuck I meant it was hard to go through the sliding hole once you go up the elevator. Since the hole is so close to the elevator, you have very little time to slide before hitting it, which forces you to crouch-walk under, breaking the flow. I recommend making the hole into a doorway. Also if you're going through from the top, it forces you to drop down because you don't have enough time to jump across after sliding. If it was a doorway, players can have the option of either dropping down or jumping across.
                  Last edited by Hyper2Armor; 12-29-2016, 03:39 AM.
                  Email: hanwaylin@gmail.com
                  Maps: DM-Hollow (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Hanway Lin View Post
                    By getting stuck I meant it was hard to go through the sliding hole once you go up the elevator. Since the hole is so close to the elevator, you have very little time to slide before hitting it, which forces you to crouch-walk under, breaking the flow. I recommend making the hole into a doorway. Also if you're going through from the top, it forces you to drop down because you don't have enough time to jump across after sliding. If it was a doorway, players can have the option of either dropping down or jumping across.
                    Those are all valid points. I guess I didn't want a third full path on the second floor of the tower and provide an escape with cover and health at the same time.
                    I might use 2 doorways but am also considering a fully opened up second floor with the exception of some pipes for cover and decoration.
                    I also think it's a good idea if I separate some areas with cover as you suggested, in order to create more of a room in stead of just peripheral paths.
                    What do you think about something like this:

Attached Files

Comment

I like it!!!!
                      "LET'S MAKE SOME GIANT MAP REMAKES"

Comment

Originally posted by YoshaVD View Post
                        Those are all valid points. I guess I didn't want a third full path on the second floor of the tower and provide an escape with cover and health at the same time.
                        I might use 2 doorways but am also considering a fully opened up second floor with the exception of some pipes for cover and decoration.
                        I also think it's a good idea if I separate some areas with cover as you suggested, in order to create more of a room in stead of just peripheral paths.
                        What do you think about something like this:

Improvement for sure! Keep it Up!
                        LoPing

Comment

Updated the original post with new screenshots and an updated pak file.
                          I've made a lot of progress designwise and also some in terms of layout.
                          Have a gander!

Comment

Originally posted by YoshaVD View Post
                            Updated the original post with new screenshots and an updated pak file.
                            I've made a lot of progress designwise and also some in terms of layout.
                            Have a gander!
                            Highly appreciated kind sir! My bad, somehow this dl'd only part of it, odd but now I have the full pak.
                            Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM.
                            LoPing

Comment

Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
                              Highly appreciated kind sir! My bad, somehow this dl'd only part of it, odd but now I have the full pak.
                              What do you mean exactly? Were there assets missing or did the pak not work or something? Does the level look like the screencaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X