No announcement yet.

CTF/DM - Grendelkeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I hope you fixed an annoying bug in the terrain that make you fall and die

Comment

Thanks for the update Jayo!
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Hi jayoplus,

thanks for the update. Really great meshed remake of CTF-Grendelkeep, love the slightly curved stone blocks you used to frame the cureved stairway. And nice that you also provide the DM version. Could no longer find any out of environment issues / Bsp. holes.

i just have the feeling that lightning / illumination still might need some work. Looks a bit flat and low on contrast ... quite hard to express but somehow it's missing a bit visual deep and contrast between darker and brighter areas. Outside env is pretty cool, even if there are just a few spots to whatch it.... .

What about making the DM and CFT version slightly different, e.g. adding rain/thunder/lightning to the DM version? CTF-Azimuth has some pretty impressive rain shaders. Maybe you can ask the map author Selenic if you can use them.

Keep going!
        Last edited by Mr Van; 01-17-2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
          Hi jayoplus,

thanks for the update. Really great meshed remake of CTF-Grendelkeep, love the slightly curved stone blocks you used to frame the cureved stairway. And nice that you also provide the DM version. Could no longer find any out of environment issues / Bsp. holes.

i just have the feeling that lightning / illumination still might need some work. Looks a bit flat and low on contrast ... quite hard to express but somehow it's missing a bit visual deep and contrast between darker and brighter areas. Outside env is pretty cool, even if there are just a few spots to whatch it.... .

What about making the DM and CFT version slightly different, e.g. adding rain/thunder/lightning to the DM version? CTF-Azimuth has some pretty impressive rain shaders. Maybe you can ask the map author Selenic if you can use them.

Keep going!

Hey Mr Van,
          Thanks for the feedback. I had thought about putting in some rain effects like in the original here but I decided not to do it because of the performance issues that it can compound on. Folks already don't play a lot of meshed maps due to performance so I didn't want to add anything that would make exacerbate that.
          That's pretty much the same reason the lighting is the way it is. I purposefully went for an almost washed out look to make things as bright as possible (I'm sure the lighting could use more work though, so I'm working on it)

Thanks again and glad you're enjoying the game and map.

J
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

Comment

Hi jayo - your Grendel version is great and the favourite ctf map in AU.

I'd go all out with meshing the map. We use the shell for pugs etc and always will, but by the time the game becomes mainstream (will happen), gfx power will be better.

Keep working on the atmosphere - would love to see how fog works as well, how cool would a dense layer of fog around link and shock be. With some rain too

Keep the shell available but make it prettty

IMO ;p
            Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
            www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

This was my favourite CTF map in UT2k4. So gorgeous but some music would more than welcome. Now let's wait for campgrounds2k4 and my life is complete.
              Last edited by scyzoryk theo; 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theo87 View Post
                This was my favourite CTF map in UT2k4. So gorgeous but some music would more than welcome. Now let's wait for campgrounds2k4 and my life is complete.
                There are already two version of campegrounds

Comment

Just played around with the recent version. My biggest issue is the lighting, the map is too dark and has too many dark spots. I keep finding my eyes straining to get more detail out of meshes and areas that appear almost entirely black. I was using the light on my translocator far too much to try an illuminate dark areas just to appreciate the detail. The mesh job looks really well, give it some more light to show it off.
                  PayBack

Comment

Hi Jayo,

Well, your doing a borderwalk here. I think with the washed out look, and largr areas with the same, noisy textures the map migh visually not be on a quality level to make it onto the marketplace, while it definitly deservs it from meshing point of view and the general way you relalized the remake of tehis great map.

Maybe you should think about having two version:
                    - the current visual design for the PRO gaming/games
                    - a more beautified version for the marketplace (add rain , cooler lighning, more variaty/different materials, especially on the lower corridors)

Anyway, as you may need to rebuild the maps soon for the new UT version commin out next week, here a few things i found to optimize/fix:

there are some textures missing in both sides and DM version at the wall on these location

There is LOD popping on the wodden planks. Textures change color from light brown to dark brown/team color dependent on the viewers distance

What about adding a torch in each of these bays under the stairway to enhance lighning?

Some of the hanging flags have only single side materials.

Also, all the torches seem to use the same 'Flicker-Timer' so they their flickering is completly synchronized which looks a bit odd/artificial. Maybe ad some more variation here.
                    @PayBack: did you play the current version? Brighness was already upped quite a bit from previous version. I almost find it a bit too overlit right now. E.g. the metain chains from the hanging torches look more white than black/metal right now.

Looking forward how this map turns out Jayo, it's already on a really nice state, but i belive you can make it even much more visually appealing. Can become a great one!
                    Cheers & keep going! By the way: really like your new large CTF-Claws map
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mr Van; 01-22-2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I downloaded the map right before I played and posted. You screen appears to be a bit brighter than mine, the part under the ramp to the flag is much brighter in your pictures than it was in game for me. So maybe its just a monitor setting on my end?
                      PayBack

Comment

Don't know, my monitor is calibrated quite well from brightness/contrast point of view (checked it with a some of these monitor callibration test pictures). I run all GFX setting on 'epic'. Found that especially post processing setting has a quite big impact on brightness.

Comment

50% Brightness and Contrast, 10 Bit panel, 6500K, IPS, sRGB.

It does seem a little dark, not much, but I get why people are commenting it does.
                          Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                            50% Brightness and Contrast, 10 Bit panel, 6500K, IPS, sRGB.

It does seem a little dark, not much, but I get why people are commenting it does.
                            Agree, it's slightly on the dark side of things, would be fine for a single player kind of Doom game or whatever but for UT I'd regard visibility 1st priority.

Especially the contrast seems turned up pretty high which gives it very contrasting and dark visibility in various areas. (Good for adding atmosphere/moodiness to the map, bad for visibility)

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I will update the lighting again and fix the issues that have been pointed out for the next build.

J
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

hey jayo, can u put in link/main message from what date you last version is? then we know if you recooked it alrdy for example thanks!!
                                Visit our website unreal-battles.net
                                Join the
                                European UT4 community on Facebook @ www.ut4.eu/fb-group-page/ and webchat + games @ click here

Comment

Working...
                                X