Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] DM-HEX (Evolving Arena)

Hello!

So I am really excited about the community development for UT(4?). While I do have other game projects I am working on I really want to spruce up my portfolio and work on something that requires less work then a full game requires. Now I am sorta late to the mapping/modding bandwagon as I spent more time playing the games then tinkering with them. However! It is never to late to get started on level mapping and it allows one to fine tune a subset of skills required to present a playable environment.

Enter DM-Hex! My first attempt at mapping for something outside of my own projects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DM-HexMarketing.png
Views:	1
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	352520

- Visual Inspirations -
    Tron/Tron Legacy
    Cyberpunk
    Neon Lights
    Arena Based combat

- The Over view -
    DM-Hex is an arena based map that is inspired by "The Grid" from Tron. DM-Hex overall shape comes is that of a hockey arena but a lot larger. At the current moment in the concept phase I have planned for the arena to have inaccessible crowd stands. Similar to the stands that surround a hockey arena or the Coliseum in rome. They serve no purpose game play wise, but I feel add to the aesthetic that it is some type of futuristic sports arena.

The actual playable area of the map is the "BOWL" which consists of several hexagonal pillars (size has not been determined yet) that initially serve as floor tiles. Using blueprint/matinee I plan on setting pre-determined patterns in which the map will randomly select causing the pillars to rise or fall changing the dynamics of the play area. These patterns can will be various shapes such as maze like or more open like counter-strike map Fy-Iceworld. I plan on having at least 10 different patterns for this.

I also plan of having the pillars change through different color hues as this map plays out; maybe even going as far as putting in visual queues via color changes to notify when the map is about to change. Another idea that I have been toying around with in my head would be a potential hard to reach location at the apex of the dome that encloses the arena. It would be reached with a carefully timed jump from the top of a moving pillar that would slingshot you to the platform. On the platform would be a button that could be used 1 time throughout the map that would cause the pillars to drop in a ring fashion slowly moving inwards reducing the play area (for a short period) causing any players not paying attention to fall to their deaths in a pit while forcing the others to a smaller section of open space to duke it out.

- Concept Images -

Name:	DM-HEX overhead concept.png
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	352521

Name:	DM-Hex_Neon_Pillar.png
Size:	805.4 KB
ID:	352522

Name:	Sketch224193615.png
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	352523
    //Forgive the crudeness of my drawings on this one. I did it on my phone xD

Name:	Tron-Legacy_Grid-art-plan_Image-Credit-Disney-Enterprises-Inc.1.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	352524
    //an interesting piece I found when looking at inspirations
    Last edited by Arixsus; 05-22-2014, 09:33 PM.

Neat idea, but there are a few things to address;
    • This likely will only work 1v1. The more players you have, the harder it is to keep track of them. In an entirely dynamic environment it's going to lead to confusion and irritation.
    • Similarly changing the layout too frequently will just lead to confusion, which should be avoided.
    • Pickups will be both hard for players to predict, and for designers to place. Therefore I suggest designing for intagib
    • I wouldn't implement the button. Even if it wasn't a 1v1, such a tool would become such the focus of the map it would cease to be an arena, and become a KOTH style map.
    • Pseudorandom is probably a better approach than true randomness for this. If you wanted to you could ensure the level created certain groupings of raised pillars, at set height variations to allow players to leap on and around them. Similarly ensuring groupings are a set distance from each other would help keep the arena "fair".
    • Bots will likely go crazy, recast wasn't designed to do dynamic patting like this an I'm not sure detour could smoothly handle this kind of dynamism.

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
      Neat idea, but there are a few things to address;
      • This likely will only work 1v1. The more players you have, the harder it is to keep track of them. In an entirely dynamic environment it's going to lead to confusion and irritation.
      • Similarly changing the layout too frequently will just lead to confusion, which should be avoided.
      • Pickups will be both hard for players to predict, and for designers to place. Therefore I suggest designing for intagib
      • I wouldn't implement the button. Even if it wasn't a 1v1, such a tool would become such the focus of the map it would cease to be an arena, and become a KOTH style map.
      • Pseudorandom is probably a better approach than true randomness for this. If you wanted to you could ensure the level created certain groupings of raised pillars, at set height variations to allow players to leap on and around them. Similarly ensuring groupings are a set distance from each other would help keep the arena "fair".
      • Bots will likely go crazy, recast wasn't designed to do dynamic patting like this an I'm not sure detour could smoothly handle this kind of dynamism.
      Those are some great points which I will attempt to address and I appreciate any and all feedback both good and bad!
      • The patterns won't be too convoluted as to cause lots of narrow corridors. Hopefully*
      • The timing for the changes will be something I test heavily to find the "goldielocks" time.
      • The Pick up areas will most likely fall into areas that don't change, and will remain static through the map.
      • The button was an idea, but it could possibly be just a slow pattern with audio/visual queues
      • Its not necessarily random at all. More like phases that will have some sort of audio/visual queue; using as you stated groupings of pillars, as well as pillars forming steps to move to a higher tier. etc etc
      • I really have not intended for bots to work on this map really, I will experiment with the possibility, but it is mostly intended to be a competitive player only map.

On a side note, most games I play online anymore have your regular static map flow, BF4 did try and change that up a bit with leveloution but it didn't really work for me. The intention of this map is to keep players constantly on the move and really emphasize spatial awareness and twitch shooter responses.

Comment

I don't know how a dynamic map like this will work out, but I love your Tron Theme! Keep it coming, I am really excited for this

Comment

ive made 3 fully dynamic maps in the past and i have to say i like it lot!
          http://www.xfire.com/videos/2d310 this one does not got the pillers but shows how dynamic it can look.

the other 2 maps that i made did have pillars, square ones. the first 1 was setup so that when you reached the top when the pillar went up you would explode, so all players stayed on 1 height.
          the second map was a lot more intresting, i made tunnels in the pilars so that once you toutched a pillar it waited 2 sec before moving up, and then after a few sec it went down again. but when it was up you could enter/leave the tunnel of the pillar, and when the pilar went down again you whent in a small maze of tunnels. when you where walking trough the tunnel the player above would see a line of pillars comming up and never knowing when the guy in the tunnel would stop to go up and kill the other dude.

works awsome for bombing run!
          - ZixXer - Environment artist - Trigger happy - UT fan -

Comment

"- Visual Inspirations -
            Tron/Tron Legacy
            Cyberpunk
            Neon Lights
            Arena Based combat"

*throws money at the screen*

I like your idea of dynamic map. But i'm sure as you progress with your work you will get a much more balanced idea. You're in the right track!
            work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
              "- Visual Inspirations -
              Tron/Tron Legacy
              Cyberpunk
              Neon Lights
              Arena Based combat"

*throws money at the screen*

I like your idea of dynamic map. But i'm sure as you progress with your work you will get a much more balanced idea. You're in the right track!
              Haha!

Yeah, during a concept phase you cant really determine how exactly things will flow but as I've begun to already build the map I can see some things that I will have to change or find a way to make them work for me. But on that note! Here are some updates to my hex tiles and arena blockout.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qmvy2pgw7...MGn5PLQzRg59Ba

The forums are fighting with me and wont let me post the pictures.. so here is a the dropbox folder link for the pics
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Arixsus; 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Any critiques so far? Other then gameplay aspects? Is it to lens flare(y)? Too much glow, not enough? Anything?

Comment

Interesting map concept you got there. It can have a lot of potential - but it could also fail. Take your time tweaking it once you're at that so that it doesn't fail!

Currently, I think the glow is way too intense, setting it to half of what it currently is might make it much better. I'm afraid players will get "hidden" by the glow.
                  S l y .

Comment

I agree with Sly, and that maybe the glowing ridges could be thinner for better clarity.

Alongside floors raising and lowering, you could also raise up semitransparent walls from the borders of each hex.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                      Interesting map concept you got there. It can have a lot of potential - but it could also fail. Take your time tweaking it once you're at that so that it doesn't fail!

Currently, I think the glow is way too intense, setting it to half of what it currently is might make it much better. I'm afraid players will get "hidden" by the glow.
                      Thanks! I will experiment with the glow, I figured it was too much myself, but I wanted to see what others thought.

Originally posted by throttlekitty View Post
                      I agree with Sly, and that maybe the glowing ridges could be thinner for better clarity.

Alongside floors raising and lowering, you could also raise up semitransparent walls from the borders of each hex.
                      Thanks for the feedback. I've been toying with the idea of actually making all of the pillars transparent on the sides, like the top is, but tweaking the refraction so you can't see a perfect image through them.

Comment

Working...
                      X