• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a vid

https://youtu.be/7pUCy-NeecM
    Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
    www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Added the WIPt version download to original post - has lighting improvement as well as a soundtrack.

Few invisible holes in the outer rim wall which I've got to fix.
      www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Comment

Thanks for letting me play in DM-Dying Sun WIP today I enjoyed it & am really impressed by your progress on the map by now seeing your old progress videos! My first time playing this map so I didn't know where any items were & where the best vantage points etc. were, which is always a good fun challenge for playing a new map I think. I think you have successfully made a very unique atmospheric feeling/view in DM-Dying Sun that I can't compare to any other Unreal Tournament 4 maps that I have played & seen, good on you! The contrast on mood and colours/light inside the map & outside the map is awesome with all those holes merging the inside & outside together. There is possibly a small claustrophobic feeling with the corridors with a balancing of just the right size of open spaces to relieve the pressure constantly, which I like. I suppose the flow of the map isn't perfect because it's your first ever map design, but overall it makes pressure to focus more on remembering where everything is, giving a definite advantage with players who know the map more which isn't a bad thing I think as it fosters competitive Deathmatch ambition to know the map better than your opponent/s. At first I didn't know what to do with all those open holes leading to the outside; some players may never know that they can go outside only by accident may they find out so that could be an issue for your DM-Dying Sun Map. Once I found where & how to get the U Damage I liked getting it, and it was easy to access. But as I reflect on it more, I would probably like to see the lift replaced by the low gravity slow motion climb/float up so that it creates a strong choking point where players can fight in the tight space trying to get the U Damage, making more of a challenge and risk/reward aspect. I also enjoyed the music you selected to use with the map which is always a bonus while playing. Perhaps use a slight slope on the inside walls so players can effectively wall run all around the inside and reach each hole to get the special items, while also being an easy target by the other players. Instead of the slow method of going outside to get the special items as I didn't find it very fun, because it slowed down the movement of the fast pace inside the map way to much. Outside is currently slow, tedious almost no risk involved with great rewards. Inside is super fast paced with lots of risk especially in the open spaces, & rewards in the circle wall openings are harder/impossible to get. The Unreal Tournament 4 map DM-RGB is a perfect example of what I mean by slight sloping of the walls creating wall paths risk/reward so players can reach the rewarding items in the circle openings from the inside of your DM-Dying Sun map. I think your circle wall openings from my experience are great to go outside as defense opportunities to escape fights if you are on low health & want to trick, be sneaky to the opponent/s by moving around the map and not making any sounds. When I did this I popped through a hole from the outside got the reward item, into the inside & usually fell straight down from high up and lost Health points and Armour points which I found annoying. It's also very confusing trying to remember which hole to go out of in order to get the right hole above for the reward item/s, there are lots of holes to memorise. Memorising these holes entry/exit points I think not many players will bother to do this, so something like the sloping wall runs inside to reach the holes is more effective, fun, challenging, greater risk/reward, fast pace action, skill level of wall running, dodging attacks etc. Like I said in game as we played today, I like your DM-Dying Sun map enough to buy it if it were available on the market because I like this particular Deathmatch map style. And I haven't seen or played many maps like DM-Dying Sun on Unreal Tournament 4. I didn't expect to write so much in this comment to be honest!! But I really want to help you by giving you my perspectives, thoughts & ideas as an Unreal Tournament 4 player so if you find anything useful & interesting that I have said in this comment that's awesome! Also I'm getting more into commentating Unreal Tournament 4 matches & I just realised as a commentator/spectator it will make my job harder as a commentator & less exciting for spectators if players are forced to go outside the map most times to get the reward items in the wall circles. Because then the spectating camera will have to be focused just on the outside focused on just one player in moments which will take away from the action inside the map, creating friction, gaps & losing momentum of concentration & excitement for spectators. That's all for now, keep on creating! SVirus SVTVGaming
          Last edited by SVirus; 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVirus View Post
            Thanks....
            Thank you for your great feedback man. I feel all your points here, it's good to know where the pain points are. I especially feel the pain of going outside the map - i need to do something different with the portals and what they're for. I have an idea of how to iterate on them so stay tuned for the next build.

I do think maps should be easy to learn (and hard to master) so I'll keep all this in mind. Thanks again.

www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Updated for May 17 build. There are a couple of layout changes that improve map flow. The lighting is a bit iffy as my UT editor refuses to build lighting at the moment. Still I think visibility is OK on most of the map. WIP right!?!

www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Looks awesome man. Feels like ut 99 space maps.
                Check the Hybrid Rocket L. Here:https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ed​​​​

Comment

I made a last minute change for this build - anyone already downloaded please do so again and update the md5 code sorry to be a pain
                  www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Thanks for the recook Ali!

Comment

WIPy changes...

So I've been taking lots of feedback into consideration from peeps such as puppy , mikael, svirus (above) (aus).

-wider, simpler platforms,
                      - increased flow further with restricted movement
                      - moved crucial items inside the map,
                      - used space for keg only currently, and navigating to redeemer, or amp via roof.

my computer is still refusing to build lighting so this has preview lighting - most of the time it's not much difference, just not as polished and lighting/shadows dont make sense sometimes as they're based on many versions ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7S5...ature=youtu.be
                      Last edited by the_hack; 05-21-2017, 11:40 AM.
                      www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Have refined this concept with a second iteration for Dying Sun (Dying Sun2) - remade from the ground up. Changes and video in OP. Enjoy!
                        www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Thanks for the revamp Ali!

Comment

added a006 - very slight vial differences for duel, no significant change for DM so u an skip this one most likely.
                            www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

I honestly don't think it's quite the good name for it.
                              It has nothing of an element supposing a dying star.
                              Unless you would add an outside deco setting in space, close to a dying star.

Comment

Updated OP with beta 001 download. At this stage gameplay factors are final(ish), versions will be less iterative, and more effort will go into looks and feels, probably after a long break.

Cheers

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws....wsNoEditor.pak
                                www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Working...
                                X