No announcement yet.

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Malo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some mighty fine looking rocks posted Crocopede! Keep it Up!

Comment

Finished one more block.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I also ran into a workflow issue.
      The very detailed nice rocks have independent textures. meaning everything is baked into them.

The other assets such as the one above all re use the same tileable textures. This is so that the map size stays small and draw calls etc.

Its a 3 blended material. The issue is though, i cant add anything else to the material due to the engine only allowing a max of 16 per material. And one is lightmap and another is something else so thats only 14 textures.

Now one layer has a minimum of 4. diffuse, roughness, normal and heightmap for blending edges. Except base layer only has 3.
      Thats 11. + the main normal so i sit with 12. So technically i should be allowed at least two more textures. But Nooooooooooooooooo!

So im not sure why the engine is using 4 instead of the documented 2 out of 16.
      Either way its not relevant.

And i dont want to have a unique baked texture per asset. That seems unwise.
      Now im wondering what do i sacrifice. Do i remove 1 layer, cut those portions out of the mesh and have them as seperate meshes? This is only going to add draw calls.

My main concern is download size of the map, and also re using assets.

Comment

Im working smarter now. I am using red green blue and alpha textures instead. and just extracting the channel. Opening up a lot of possibilities for me
        I was constrained by my lack of technical skills.

Comment

Croco:
          Beautiful rock meshes. When I see them I have a need to climb them.
          The grass texture on one of your screenshots look a bit too large. You should probably scale it down a lot.
          Also: You will have to think of a way to blend rocks with floor. Using Pebbles or decal materials could work.

Just use your channels for grayscale materials like metalness, roughness, ao. For instance: you could map AO to red channel, Roughness to blue, height map to green and mask of any sorts to alpha. I am sure you can come up with something when it comes to texture management. I even heard about using channels in normal maps too as usually the most data is in red and green channels, so technically you could "fit" even 3 maps in a single "normal map" texture. I am not sure how engine would respond to it when it comes to LOD and lighting... You would have to experiment!

PS. Im stupid, I just read your last post explaining the channels! Haha! Sorry about that. But you learn fast! Good job!

So when it comes to normal map: If you use "make float 3" you can grab red and green channels and plug them into A and B of this node. The way I see blue channel in normal map is something like AO... You will figure it out. if poroblems: Just ask.
          Last edited by ConradJustin; 03-16-2017, 02:49 AM.
          For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Cool beans. I am leaving the materials and textures for now. Getting side tracked and wasting time with that stuff.
            Focusing on modeling the level. Once that is done i will do lighting, and then after start on texturing and materials and then details.

Also having to switch to a new application. Gonna buy Modo and learn that. 3ds max subscriptions are killing me.

Comment

Spent a few days learning Modo. So lost some time.
              Today i managed to overhaul 1 mesh and do 4 new ones.

Focusing purely on modeling and normals. Textures can come later. Want to get a grey version out for playtesting asap.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post

Want to get a grey version out for playtesting asap.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                What do you mean get a grey version out?

Comment

Cool when com the New Pak?

Comment

Originally posted by IronWarshark View Post
                    What do you mean get a grey version out?
                    I mean no textures. Only meshes and blocking volumes done. No details added etc. Just a simple one where everything is grey like in the screenshots.

Originally posted by Frostbite83 View Post
                    Cool when com the New Pak?
                    Only when there is another UT update. Or when the grey version is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
                      Focusing purely on modeling and normals. Textures can come later. Want to get a grey version out for playtesting asap.
                      Gray levels are something players do not like much, but it is incredibly useful for us. Looks like a solid approach to me, keep up !
                      RASTE IN PEACE !
                      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Looks cool. What are your thoughts on having flat surfaces for the most used places? Important or not?
                        Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
                        www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Originally posted by the_hack View Post
                          Looks cool. What are your thoughts on having flat surfaces for the most used places? Important or not?
                          important. having uneven surfaces where people move will affect dodging and predictable aiming. You dont want to go for a headshot and bob up and down cause your walking surface is super bumpy

I added a few more meshes. Will hopefully get more done tomorrow.

Comment

Tomorrow a new Pack?

Comment

I love the direction of this map ! Good job m8

Comment

Thx mate.

Calling it a day. Starting to rush my work a little. So have to call it. Didnt get as much done as i hoped.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Working...
                                X