[PROTOTYPE] DM-Malo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reached my first milestone. Complete outside area meshes

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Ah. Forums didnt take my previous post.
      So short version.

New PAK available. New layout.
      No screenshots. Bots working. Didnt.

Check OP

Comment

why no new meshed Map?

Comment

Still busy. Only started interior this weekend.

Comment

https://youtu.be/rGgKlSBV00c

Comment

Hey [MENTION=5809]Crocopede[/MENTION] great progress so far! I see that your trying to optimize your materials and a clever way to do that is using a technique called gradient mapping. It's basically a way to colorize a height map using a gradient texture. the upside to this is that you can index several gradients into one texture and basically you wind up with several variations of the diffuse using only one gray scale map. Here are a couple links that describe the technique:

http://technical-eden.blogspot.de/20...ay-to-get.html

http://artisaverb.info/DitchingDiffuse.html

Combine this with channel packing and you could essentially have endless variation in your rock models but at a much lower cost. The effect even works with vertex painting.
              Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
              Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Thx man. I will use this newfound knowledge. I will not go full procedural. But it made me realize i dont have to have a separate normal map.
                I initially had a normal and a cavity + Edge map.
                Now i can place my normal + cavity + Edge all into one texture and a my color variation mask into the alpha.
                All my albedos are the same texture anyway. Its just normals and masks that were unique per asset.

So i get to save 30+ textures now
                Thx a million

Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
                Hey [MENTION=5809]Crocopede[/MENTION] great progress so far! I see that your trying to optimize your materials and a clever way to do that is using a technique called gradient mapping. It's basically a way to colorize a height map using a gradient texture. the upside to this is that you can index several gradients into one texture and basically you wind up with several variations of the diffuse using only one gray scale map. Here are a couple links that describe the technique:

http://technical-eden.blogspot.de/20...ay-to-get.html

http://artisaverb.info/DitchingDiffuse.html

Combine this with channel packing and you could essentially have endless variation in your rock models but at a much lower cost. The effect even works with vertex painting.

Comment

Looks great. Are you planning on giving this a moonlit atmosphere. might Be good
                  Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
                  www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Hi. Still undecided. But im leaning more towards sunlight to pop the greens later on.

Comment

ok so looks like i wont be cramming normals into my one textures.
                      I cant get proper results using normalfromheightmap or gradient mapping.

So will stick to two separate textures. Normal + the other combined textures

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
                        ok so looks like i wont be cramming normals into my one textures.
                        I cant get proper results using normalfromheightmap or gradient mapping.

So will stick to two separate textures. Normal + the other combined textures
                        I don't think the heightnormal thing is working anymore, sorry those tutorials are from the UDK days. I was mainly wanting you to see the variety you can get with the gradient mapping technique.

You might already know this but you can pack a grayscale map into the blue channel of the normal there is a function that fakes that information back in at little cost. (AO is packed this way in a lot of cases)

A good use case for the gradient mapping thing would be vertex painting. Essentially you can use vertex painting to drive the color variation. You could use a 128*128 texture with a blurred set of colors (take a rock texture blur it and your off to a decent start) From there you would replace the index part of that material setup with a vertex channel. When you paint that vertex channel the material it would essentially pick color bands from that texture to drive the diffuse color. You could then use the other vertex channels to drive seperate height/normal maps. So basically you'd have a material that could be used on nearly rock surface of your level that could be customized for each location.

If you want I can try and put together an example for you. Anyways I won't derail your thread any more. Keep up the good work!
                        Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                        Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
                          I don't think the heightnormal thing is working anymore, sorry those tutorials are from the UDK days. I was mainly wanting you to see the variety you can get with the gradient mapping technique.

You might already know this but you can pack a grayscale map into the blue channel of the normal there is a function that fakes that information back in at little cost. (AO is packed this way in a lot of cases)

A good use case for the gradient mapping thing would be vertex painting. Essentially you can use vertex painting to drive the color variation. You could use a 128*128 texture with a blurred set of colors (take a rock texture blur it and your off to a decent start) From there you would replace the index part of that material setup with a vertex channel. When you paint that vertex channel the material it would essentially pick color bands from that texture to drive the diffuse color. You could then use the other vertex channels to drive seperate height/normal maps. So basically you'd have a material that could be used on nearly rock surface of your level that could be customized for each location.

If you want I can try and put together an example for you. Anyways I won't derail your thread any more. Keep up the good work!
                          Well its a map thread and the materials are applicable so i wont call it derail.
                          If you can get an example that would be awesome.

Just to explain the setup i do have currently.
                          2 x textures = 1 x normal map and 1 x Edgemap in blue channel, Cavity map in Green and color variation mask in red channel. The Alpha stores my Roughness multiplier so i can custom paint wet areas on the rocks. This is also used to darken wet areas on albedo. (unique per asset)
                          2 x 512x512 alebdo maps + 2 512 x 512 roughness maps + 2 512x512 normal maps (these texures are re-used on every single asset)

My master material blends 3 materials on vertex colors.
                          Main - UV channel 0 = Drives the main mesh normal, cavity edge and color variation
                          Layer 1 - UV channel 1= Tileable Rock Texture + Normal + roughness (vertex channel blended with heightmaps)
                          Layer 2 - UV channel 1= Tileable Rock Texture + Normal + roughness (vertex channel blended with heightmaps)

So where i would imagine the gradient map coming into play would be colorize Layer 1 and Layer 2. Driving additional color variation.
                          This would be very awesome as it will definitely address the the concern i had with not having enough color variation.
                          Last edited by Crocopede; 03-29-2017, 02:08 AM.

Comment

2 Hallways left then main meshing is done.
                            After which i can start with some other meshes

It never ends

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Got curious what materials will look like.
                              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Wow...very nice render. It's a perfect example of clean area in the spirit of this new UT ! Want to see more, congrat

Comment

Working...
                                X