Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-1-on-1 CastleWalk

All,

With winter a distant friend and spring pouncing upon us like a new born kitten testing their claws, I scribe and take note of this new and prosperous year. Aerowalk cannot be ported, and a new map yearns for life.

Walking on air,
    Through the Castle, I dare.

Castlewalk 1-on-1,
    ...Never been so much fun.

More Pictures:

Spoiler

DOWNLOAD

Big up to DutchSmoke for pre-testing feedback to help trim the winter fat.

Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Glad to help some Thanks for putting up some more of your works Mitch Mitchell!
    LoPing
    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Just a quick line on this:

I want to say a big thanks to
      DutchSmoke for hosting this, and for recording replays over the last few weeks.

He didn't have to do this, and yet: earlier today I have the utter joy at watching these replays in full and reading the comments of players during gameplay.

His footage has allowed me to see, with pristine clarity, exactly where the map tweaks are required and why.

I yelped in total joy and my howls of laughter could be heard deep in the forest when, players jumped off the edge by mistake...got the sniper rifle two seconds too late...fought hard to wallride onto the health pack, only to be fragged from above. All the elements and tricks I put into the map were being exploited, but the risk-reward system of chase/control/buff/nerf/chase are working like a dream. What I didn't expect is that the map seems to work as 4-6 FFA, didn't think that would work, but it seems to intensify the session, without CF'ing the map out, right down to the last second of play.

Utter joy.

So, there is more work to do and cannot thank DS and his server participants enough, I truly can't.

Thank you again DS
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Your welcome Mitch! Uplifting to read you're using the replays the way I'm sure EPIC intended them to be used.
        However I do need to clarify that the replays are all thanks to EPIC for entrusting my server.
        Keep up the GoodWorks!
        LoPing

Comment

Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
          Your welcome Mitch! Uplifting to read you're using the replays the way I'm sure EPIC intended them to be used.
          However I do need to clarify that the replays are all thanks to EPIC for entrusting my server.
          Keep up the GoodWorks!
          My pleasure.

I also watched the replays for Genku and PSi. Will PM Andrew to point him at your server and replay listings...

The Intro and Outro for Genku was an experimental 2.35:1 ratio switch, using the level as the 'stage' for it. I saw some comments when you first loaded it up, but the replay kinda misses it out the intros and outros, so am wondering if it has actually worked or not for your server participants? The intro was low on the map near the centre, under the bridge and outro was on the level/bridge above.

Drop a line on the map thread:

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...mpetitive-map)

But I am always looking at ways to improve the port of that map, as it really is a fun map with very clean lines and clear colour changes.
          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

2nd May 2017

Updated for current version as of this date.

Although the map has not been altered, the game mechanics have, and for this I require more feedback for the lateral movement.
            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

BigUp for the recook! Will be reloading this beaut back on shortly!
              LoPing

Comment

BigUp for the recook! Will be reloading this beaut back on shortly!
                Thanks man!

Been so busy of late with the move, so please keep recording and I do watch the replays I promise.

o/\o
                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

18th May 2017

Well, This is an update - but I doubt anyone will actually get to play it thanks to the game not wishing to run the map.

I've run all updates to my rig, to the engine, verified it, completed a FULL build of the map, it ran with no errors, I load up the actual game client, it sees the map no problem, lets me select it, lets me run it, and then 1/25th of a second later, crashes the game client with no explanation as to why.

So, you can download it, you can see it for yourselves, and if you can get it to run - great!

I do not expect it to run, though.

Good luck!

Here's a quick run-down on what changes I made:-

-Reworked the spacing, including height on doorways.
                  -Added partial meshing for tone, and re-texturing.
                  -Added some god-rays and reworked the lighting.
                  -Added backside tunnel with BIG jump to top floor/lightning gun area.
                  -Deleted 'Keg-pool'.
                  -Extended 'lower-ground Jump-Pad' area, deepening the 'front' of the map, thereby increasing the point-to-point travel, and added KEG to mid-section.
                  -Added new 'side-draw-bridge' containing a Shield-Belt opposite Chest-Armour.
                  -Extended the FLAK area, giving more room for collection, but increasing the visibility.
                  -Moved some of the pickups, making them easier to get, but increasing the visibility for snipe/shock/lightning.
                  -Deleted all BSP holes for collision/exploitation/navigable areas.
                  -Added GI blocking volumes to, well, block out the GI
                  -Added a landscape, yay!
                  -Deleted reminder text to add stuff

Warning, lots of PINK TEXT below, with lots of EXCLAMATION MARKS

Spoiler
                  Attached Files
                  Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

BigUp for the progress report! Pink indicators aside it does look mint!
                    Sorry to report it's a doezy, crash's out the game.
                    This could help shed some light:
                    Code:
                    Error: === Critical error: ===
                    Error: Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UT+Release-Next+Full\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 796]
                    Error: Rendering thread exception:
                    Error: Fatal error!
                    Error: Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x46680000
                    Error: VCRUNTIME140.dll!0x00000000EC25CA74
                    Error: UE4-Renderer-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000DEABA56E
                    Error: UE4-Renderer-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000DEA9A18A
                    Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1DDB0BD
                    Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1DDB34D
                    Error: UE4-RenderCore-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000EB4C3F46
                    Error: UE4-RenderCore-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000EB4C4DA3
                    Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1F5D33E
                    Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1F58A69
                    Error: kernel32.dll!0x0000000076DB652D
                    Error: ntdll.dll!0x0000000076FEC541
                    LoPing

Comment

BigUp for the progress report! Pink indicators aside it does look mint!
                      Sorry to report it's a doezy, crash's out the game.
                      This could help shed some light:
                      Code:
                      Error: === Critical error: ===
                      Error: Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UT+Release-Next+Full\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 796]
                      Error: Rendering thread exception:
                      Error: Fatal error!
                      Error: Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x46680000
                      Error: VCRUNTIME140.dll!0x00000000EC25CA74
                      Error: UE4-Renderer-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000DEABA56E
                      Error: UE4-Renderer-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000DEA9A18A
                      Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1DDB0BD
                      Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1DDB34D
                      Error: UE4-RenderCore-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000EB4C3F46
                      Error: UE4-RenderCore-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000EB4C4DA3
                      Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1F5D33E
                      Error: UE4-Core-Win64-Shipping.dll!0x00000000E1F58A69
                      Error: kernel32.dll!0x0000000076DB652D
                      Sadly, no.

That goes right over my head bud. I build it, it builds and packages with no warnings, the game client recognises it, it nearly loads (I hear the music) and then crashes the client.

Epic Games are the only ones who can fix this, not you are I. What really gets me is that ALL of these changes were and are a DIRECT result of watching the replays from your capturing.

I was timing the movements, watching what the reactions were when players were at certain points, it was really detailed stuff - I had notes, referred to them, was alt-tabbing between the replays, making changes to lighting, and a whole tonne of stuff just on watching your replays.

Suffice to say, I am more than annoyed, I am genuinely upset that your server cannot benefit from these critical changes.

Over to EG for a way to fix that which (apparently) is not broken, yet is.
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

24th May 2017

Updated and now working.
                        Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                          24th May 2017

Updated and now working.
                          Thank you kind sir!
                          LoPing

Comment

Thank you kind sir!
                            My pleasure...I've watched a few replays of yours, and there seems to be an issue with the Green jump-pad, I just want to clarify something for anyone who thinks it's borked in some way:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thatjumpad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	388289

As you can see, the jump-pad is actually positioned to push the player 5 units away from the edge, versus being a straight vertical line on the Z.

What I found is that there was/is the possibility the person using the pad may either be moving from the right/left/back position and their finger may still be on the "W" key, causing a forward momentum into the ledge. I also found the 'front' movement, being the most common, also had the possibility of the same issue. This meant they were still pushing forward when in the air, and the flight of the character pushes them forwards, hitting their head.

What I am driving at is this:
                            • Yes, you can bump your head.
                            • Yes, it is meant to be tricky.
                            • Yes, I did test it thoroughly.
                            • Yes, it is a "Death-Trap" if you get it wrong.

If I make it easier, the whole purpose of getting an advantage becomes too easy, especially when there are vials below, a lightning gun at the top, and potential flow/chase/defend position of considerable advantage.

The collision at the base of the 'pad looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jumpcol.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	388290

So, you can see there is a little 'lip' at the edge of the waterfall to make it very very very fast to do a forward dodge if being chased, or giving chase. The fastest way to the top is just to dodge forward and 'let go', until you are in the position you want - then begin moving again.

Another point is that you can go from the top where the lightning gun is to the platform, without using a TL move (looking at you DS! tsk tsk) by doing a wall dodge. Now, that move is incredibly difficult to pull off, so there is an slightly (but not much) easier move, by simply falling on the 'pad, bouncing onto a wall, and dodging, or just falling down and using the vials there to see if you can get an advantage.

The reason why it is angled is simple: GRENADES. And you will note and see there is an extra grenade ammo pickup on the other side of the wall, opposite the lighting gun.

I haven't seen in the replays anyone trying those manoeuvrers, but the options are by design and I leave it up to the player to see if the risk of damage or accidental death by falling is worth the risk.

As for the lighting in general terms, yes, I do agree it is too dark in some places, but I had to sacrifice lighting (slightly) to get the build to actually work properly with the current version of the editor. So, there are some ugly bits here are there, but I am not really worried about them for now and just want to keep watching the replays to see where the tweaks to the geometry need to be - but I think we are almost there.

Please gently ask your server participants to berate me in this thread, and if need be I can get screenshots from the editor like the above, but if they want to drop a quick line whilst playing on your server, I will see it

Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                            X