• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Akidot[Working Title] - Work in Progress

DOWNLOAD

Update:

So after a while... back to DM map ^_^

Basically went back to the drawing board a bit. Based on David's feedback, I wanted to rework the layout to feel more cohesive as a whole.

Made the map a bit smaller and more focused as a duel map. And I figured I'd change the theme of the map for a more cohesive feel to being sort of a constructed sports arena type map (I hope I've been able to achieve that :-) ).

As always feedback will be awesome, and visuals are all WIP. I would like to hear about overall layout/flow, and item placement.

Video:

Cheers ^_^
    Thanks to raxxy and chumbo providing feedback thus far ^_^

=================================
    Update #6 08/19/2014

So I got to finish up Akidot and tweaked a few things around.

First major change was sizing the map down a little. I think it may still work for full TDM 4v4 but I think it should work for 1v1/2v2 (thoughts will be appreciated)

I have updated the item and weapon placement (took out the jump boots and invisibility) and made the available powerups amp, belt, thigh and helmet. My main goal was to keep the map more focused in terms of gameplay so I hope this was achieved.

Would love to get some feedback on this. ^_^

Screens:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3FzDcyX.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	329973 Click image for larger version

Name:	Lnu716m.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	329974

=============================================================
    I figured I'd gotten to a point where I can post a map I'm currently working on.
    Please bear in mind that everything is very early WIP and while the basic layout may not change much, the multilevel combat zones are no where near done.
    If you open the map in the editor, you will notice that I have begun working on the second version that sort of elaborates on the shell brush layout.
    I'm happy to take any feedback but a lot still will change as more core mechanics are done.

07/26/2014 Update:

- Map has been semi-overhauled as far as the layout goes. The core layout from the beginning is still there, I think it's simply more streamlined? now. (Please let me know if I'm wrong)
    Basically, I think this is the first version of the total layout that I was going for and I'm satisfied with so far (suggestions welcome)
    - Weapon placement is largely unchanged but ammo placement has been tweaked to ensure players move around the map instead of staying in one area
    - Still features the same powerups. and should be suitable for 1v1, however the target for this map is FFA and 2v2 to 4v4 TDM
    - Incorporated some slope dodge areas into the map as well as some multiwall dodge opportunities (I show some in the video but I'm not the best player so I'm sure you guys will be better at it that I :-))
    - Updated the outdoor area with terrain and one major change from the previous versions is that the UDamage has been moved to the ground to make it more hazardous to pick up.

Hope the update makes sense and of course I'm still open to feedback on anything I'm missing or that needs to change.

07/15/2014

Changes include:
    Overall scaling fixes. Some areas that felt too big were scaled down and some ceilings were moved higher (due to the increased power of the jump boots!!!)
    Reworked the Shield belt room and replaced chest armor with invisibility.
    Removed half of the weapons from the map (basically have one of each weapon now as opposed to two that I had before). Players still always spawn close to a weapon.
    Lighting (Still very TemporaryWIPOMG!) but my goal is to be able to draw the players eye to areas of the map. Level dressing will also achieve this later on.
    Reworked the flow of the weapon and ammo placement.
    A few things may still be broken so please feel free feedback.

Thanks.

Current WIP video:

Screenshots:

07/07/2014 Update

Reworked most of the layout to be more deathmatch friendly.
    Scaled down some of the areas that were too big. Although some areas are intentionally wide open.
    Lighting is still very temporary.
    Updated Video:

Summary:
    - The map is intended to satisfy DM(FFA), Duel and TDM (up to 4v4).
    - There are several jump pad/elevator spots that haven't been put in at the moment.
    - Weapon and item layout has been determined for the most part, but not on the map at the moment since the current focus is getting the flow down.
    - Mostly a brush shell on v1. v2 is currently being worked on to elaborate the layout.
    - Currently working with the default units, but I intend to switch to power-of-two units when I'm finalizing the layout.

**Side note, running around the map is quite intense for my PC cuz I'm barely scratching the minimum system requirements at the moment. As such, the lighting work is just a single dominant light. I have only been able to play test the map in unlit mode just to get it to run on my end.

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jayoplus; 10-14-2014, 07:33 PM.
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Do you have any screenshots available?

Comment

Took a minute to have them uploaded, but I attached some screen grabs of both the early shell and what I'm currently working on.
      MyArtstation
      @jayoplus

Comment

Well if someone can do a video of this would be great
        work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

If you're having performance problems, I would suggest replacing your lights with an ambient cubemap for now. This will be a good stopgap while you are creating the shell.

to do this, add a post process volume to the map. flag the unbound boolean to true. then go to the ambient cubemap section and choose a texture for there. There is one in the build called vista_01

choose that and select an intensity value (i have been using something around .4). anyway, this will be an improvement over being unlit, and should run quickly.

As far as your map is concerned. My initial feedback after running around it would be to try reducing scale in some areas that don't need to be as large/wide/high. In most cases, the smaller you can get it while maintaining the desired flow, and without feeling cramped, the better. Also if you can get those lifts and weapon pickups in there, that will help indicate your intended map flow. there is a blueprint called generic lift, you can use and customize for your needs. you can use the weapon base and ammo pickup blueprints now as well.
          David Spalinski
          @spazinski
          Epic Games

Comment

Thanks David.
            The ambient cubemap does help.
            Thanks for the feedback. I will have another version uploaded soon that may address some of the feedback.
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

Comment

Hello Everyone,
              So I just uploaded an updated version of the map with more detailed layout of the brush shell as well as initial weapon and item placement, etc
              I think some spots may still be overscaled, but I figure I can tweak that as movement specifics get nailed down more. This will pretty much be the break point until I build the next version that will incorporate whatever feedback as well as move the map to a power-of-two grid spacing.
              New screenies...

Please find download link in first post.

Thanks
              MyArtstation
              @jayoplus

Comment

So I just got to put together my new computer and finally have a run through video for those who may not have access to run in the map themselves.
                I updated the map just a fair bit but currently having issues with uploading the new version so the current download is a little dated. Everything is still very much work in progress and is subject to change but the layout is mostly almost done (Still tweaking as movement parameters change). Please excuse the poor video quality.

Thanks.
                MyArtstation
                @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                  So I just got to put together my new computer and finally have a run through video for those who may not have access to run in the map themselves.
                  I updated the map just a fair bit but currently having issues with uploading the new version so the current download is a little dated. Everything is still very much work in progress and is subject to change but the layout is mostly almost done (Still tweaking as movement parameters change). Please excuse the poor video quality.

Thanks.
                  Private video. Can't view it.

Comment

Originally posted by NameTaken33 View Post
                    Private video. Can't view it.
                    Fixed :-) Thanks
                    MyArtstation
                    @jayoplus

Comment

Fixed :-) Thanks
                      Looks like a fun DM map. Only thing I saw was the jump pad you took around 2:20. Looks like you clipped the wall in the air.

...Also looks like I need to do a completely new pull of the build as it appears mine is borked after looking at yours. Jump pads don't work, no weapons/buffs, and no gameplay.

Comment

Hmm, that's strange. I've not experienced that but there are certain weapons that I put in there as placeholders but non-functioning. Do you mean that jump pads don't work on the actual map or on maps you load afterwards? Hopefully someone can shed some light on that because it doesn't happen on my end. Also, the map is saved with the default UTDMGametype under world settings, so maybe that's the issue? Not really sure.

As far as the jump pad at 2:20, I know what you mean, but that will be fixed as the map progresses :-) All the jump pads do that at the moment, actually as well as one of the lifts, too.
                        MyArtstation
                        @jayoplus

Comment

Do you mean that jump pads don't work on the actual map or on maps you load afterwards? Hopefully someone can shed some light on that because it doesn't happen on my end.
                          Once I place the jump-pad all I get is the base. I can't alter the projection. I only played with it for a few minutes last night so I may of overlooked something. I got TimEh's original thread bookmarked so I'll be going over that again.

Also, the map is saved with the default UTDMGametype under world settings, so maybe that's the issue?
                          Actually didn't even think about that since I was messing with the settings a few days ago.

As far as the jump pad at 2:20, I know what you mean, but that will be fixed as the map progresses :-) All the jump pads do that at the moment, actually as well as one of the lifts, too.
                          haha awesome. I'll download it tonight and give it a quick play through.

Comment

Originally posted by NameTaken33 View Post
                            Once I place the jump-pad all I get is the base. I can't alter the projection. I only played with it for a few minutes last night so I may of overlooked something. I got TimEh's original thread bookmarked so I'll be going over that again.

Actually didn't even think about that since I was messing with the settings a few days ago.

haha awesome. I'll download it tonight and give it a quick play through.
                            Ah, I see what you mean. Try going into wireframe mode to see the destination widget. You can also set the destination in the setting of the jump pad.

Also, TBH, I'm not quite sure what gametype to select in the world settings as there are many that are still being used for testing.
                            MyArtstation
                            @jayoplus

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                              Another update. I managed to do some workaround with the scaling as proposed by David. However, this may still need some tweaking as the work progresses.
                              I have also updated the map with spawns, weapons, and pickups. This is still very fluid and may change as feedback comes. Lighting is very early WIP but sort of shows the direction I'm currently thinking of taking the level.
                              Please see video (I hope it's better quality now - still getting used to Shadowplay) for update and download link has been updated.
                              Going to be taking a break from this for a little bit and maybe start doing some 3D work (too many awesome concepts on the forums) while more gameplay details gets locked down.
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X