Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom E1M1 - Quickly put together this weekend

Hey all,

I'm not a great mapper. I mean, good ideas or whatever, just, you know... not an artistic bone in my body.
    Just wanted to throw this out there: Here's a tribute map that I slapped together this last weekend. It's not done, and the lighting is all utility lights, but still.
    I guess this is more motivational than anything. If I, a relatively unskilled mapper, can put this together in 2-3 days, you can CERTAINLY do something better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIT2Qy77sPs

(I didn't realize the recording software was picking up the music. So, I guess you get a taste of what I listen to when I map, haha)

Ahh...no secret areas?

Well done. It looked a little bit large but it's been a while since I played Doom. Well done, nonetheless.
    Dueling Flak Cannons
    We see the shells falling
    Together, we die

Comment

Nice work, did you do it by eye / from memory? It's a little large, but still good start nonetheless

(I made E1M1 for UT3)

Comment

Nice work! The best way to learn is to duplicate maps that you like and Romero is a great source of inspiration...

Comment

I think the map is too big. It has very very huge open spaces connected by long corridors. Scaling down some parts would be recommended imho.

Comment

Originally posted by peterk View Post
            I think the map is too big. It has very very huge open spaces connected by long corridors. Scaling down some parts would be recommended imho.
            Well if he adds decoration to the map and bots, it might not look huge. Might add that he is just walking, if he was dodging, jumping, and all the good stuff it wouldn't look huge.
            History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
            UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
            UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
            UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
              Well if he adds decoration to the map and bots, it might not look huge. Might add that he is just walking, if he was dodging, jumping, and all the good stuff it wouldn't look huge.
              I'm sure that, even while dodging, the map would be a tiny bit too large

Those corridors are really long. I read so many people complaining the lg/ shock had such a dominant role in 2k4 due to the double-jump, Dodge-jump. Personally I think it's more about the maps. When I see this map, I'd still prefer using shock in most areas. I always think of 'goose' as one of the better balanced maps (weapon-choice).

Could be interesting if you added some more corners/surprize-zones.
              ut2k4 > *
              Not all maps understood the 2k4 movement. Not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                Nice work, did you do it by eye / from memory? It's a little large, but still good start nonetheless

(I made E1M1 for UT3)
                Oh dude, I'd love to see that! (Really, if you've got a link to a youtube video or better yet the map itself, I'd love to see it)

But yeah basically I had UE open on one monitor and Doom running in the Doomsday Engine on the other monitor, sort of just alt-tabbing between the two.

And yeah, it's probably a little too big. If I spent more time on it, I probably would have nuked large sections of it and resized it a bit... but man. Doom levels (due to no jumping and such) were cramped as HELL.

...oh. Accidental pun was accidental. Haha

Comment

Flood of memories came rushing in as soon as I saw the first few seconds of the clip haha...
                  Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

Originally posted by TheVoid34 View Post
                    Oh dude, I'd love to see that! (Really, if you've got a link to a youtube video or better yet the map itself, I'd love to see it)
                    I posted this before, but post disappeared..

I found an old video and re-uploaded it (quality isn't so good)
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sEYxbmjRoQ

UT3 Map
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5J...it?usp=sharing

If you're planning to finish this, I'm happy to share some of the source content if you'd like (I'll have to find it from an old drive..) or even just some tips
                    Last edited by sneh; 06-19-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                      I posted this before, but post disappeared..

I found an old video and re-uploaded it (quality isn't so good)
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sEYxbmjRoQ

UT3 Map
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5J...it?usp=sharing

If you're planning to finish this, I'm happy to share some of the source content if you'd like (I'll have to find it from an old drive..) or even just some tips
                      That video rules!
                      Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
                      "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
                      Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Remember than in Uengine 4, it is a 200x200 area that would be equal to a 128x128 area in Doom, the latter's vertical stretch notwithstanding.

So, the E1M1 start area has a relatively low ceiling of 72 units in Doom; in Uengine that would be a height of 112.5 units, round down to 112.

Comment

Working...
                        X