Tower [WIP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tower [WIP]

Hi all. This is my first post, though I've been lurking about the forum for a month or so. I wanted to wait till I actually had something to contribute before actually starting a thread.

So I started making a map.

I've been designing games and levels for some time now, but am fairly new to the whole Unreal Tournament community. There is probably a lot about the subtlety of designing content for UT that I have no idea of yet. Don't go easy on me and tell me what's wrong, so we can make this map into something really awesome.
    I would also like to point out that the kick-*** sound designer Lhasa Mencur is willing to make custom music for this map, which will help a great deal with building a powerful ambience.

First I'm just going to show you a few concept arts of what it could look like. I made these by just painting over the BSP geometry that is now, in its first iteration, finished. These environment concepts represent only a half or so of what I actually have in mind for this map. The inside of the towers would have a dark ambience with a lot of sci-fi looking props taking most of the inoccupied space. The keyword would be verticality, which I know is considered hard to achieve successfully in UT. I have a lot of interesting situations in mind when I look at this map and I think we can really make it into a wonderful place to splatter each other's guts in. The game mode I have in mind would be DM, but god knows I'd love to make this an assault map if this mode comes back in UT2014, and I think it would be even fitter for that purpose.

Here goes :

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	352841

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	352842

Name:	018f.jpg
Size:	806.8 KB
ID:	352843

That is for the outside look of the place. I will be updating this thread very shortly (I hope during the week, depending on how much free time I get)

But enough Art talk, there's another sub-forum for that. The look of the map will evolve, though you may all comment about it already of course, but my main focus in this thread will be level design.
    So here's a few snapshots that might give you a better idea of the layout, with first a bunch of top-down blueprints, if you manage to read anything from it :

Well if you do manage to get any info from these, it's that they're incomplete. But still they should clarify some part of the structure.
    As you can see, there's a small tower and a bigger tower, and the interesting part is that they both have some stuff in them. Wonderful. Moving on with some actual architecture snapshots :

[img]http://s18.postimg.org/w9gnfxvyd/camera****.jpg[/img]

To answer the obvious question, yes, there will be a giant railgun sticking out of that dome.

Now some of you might have noticed that it's modeled in UDK for UE3. I heard there were some tools to port BSP geometry to UE4 that work just fine. So I'll just buy me a license when I actually get to need it, which is only for material and lights editing. Looking forward to play with it though. Unreal Editor definitely is fun.

I intend to model all the props myself in Maya, 3DS or Modo according to the mood, maybe make some normals with Zbrush, and textures with Photoshop and probably nDo. The skydome was made using PS and 3DS max.

So for now I'll just leave this here, please do comment and throw any ideas. If you think it's too big, too small, too ugly, too unfit, or that it should not move an inch (well I can have dreams too), please feel free to shoot feedback while it's hot.
    I will be coming back with updates shortly and regularly.

Gentlemen, thanks for your attention, and good night.
    Attached Files

Pretty snazzy layout, I like it.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

looks very promising!
      --=:downshift:=--

Comment

I like the "big tower" concept but to me it seems very huge

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for the answers. First of all, here's some new concept art showing the inside of the bigger tower.

Name:	20insidesans.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	329368

Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
          I like the "big tower" concept but to me it seems very huge
          Well it is pretty big indeed. How much of a problem is it actually ? It's not that much bigger than some maps I've played in the older UT games. I could also restrict the access to some parts in order to make it smaller but I have something in mind with some trigger events that I'd like to explore. The lifts would be some pretty fast ones in order to avoid chain elevator kills. So I figured it would be OK to have multiple levels. The small tower has 3 floors including ground floor, the big one has 4. Some of them are actually just one room or a few corridors put together. I'll post a navigation video when I'll be on UE4 so you can have a better idea of it.
          Attached Files

Comment

wow this is pretty fantastic! love the design of this map and the level of detail you've put into it. can't wait to see more progress but this looks very promising indeed. Just one tip, I think the platforms for the outside area's might need to be a little bigger, but nice to have big firefights on the outside platforms rather then just a 1on1 situation till someone gets knocked off the ledges, if you get my meaning? think this will be a lot of fun.

Comment

Liandri Core re?

Comment

It's cool but it's too big. Huge really lol. UT4 will be a Arena Shooter, just like UT99 was. But whom am i to say? Do as you like, but i'm not feeling people here at this forum cheering for it It's always very negative towards huge things. Keep it simple man! Less is more
                work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Who's to say it can't be an ONS or Assault map, and those are typically quite big. Or a 24p DM map even.

I love the idea here, lots of Z axis!

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Did anyone here ever play those Star Wars maps for UT99? They were huge! And I loved 'em! It takes all kinds. I for one look forward to this map a lot; the design is very interesting, and I love z-axis maps, of which there are perhaps too few.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone for your kind words and reactions.
                      To me it's still not obvious whether the size will or won't be a problem, and I'll rely on testing to make sure that it doesn't get boring because of it.
                      It's definitely going to be quite a big place, though I'd like to bring a few points to your attention that may counterbalance the drawbacks of it, and I'd really like you guys to discuss what you think of it, because this map is actually not made to look or feel exactly like the previous UT games did.

First let me answer a few of your posts :

Just one tip, I think the platforms for the outside area's might need to be a little bigger, but nice to have big firefights on the outside platforms rather then just a 1on1 situation till someone gets knocked off the ledges, if you get my meaning?
                      --> I think that what I'll do is actually add a few platforms rather than make it too easy to navigate by just making them too big. Plus I'm thinking about some interesting static meshes that might do the trick in a more interesting manner. Stay tuned

Liandri Core re?
                      --> Haha thanks, sounds like a nice compliment Yes the round arena parts might feel a bit like this !

It's cool but it's too big. Huge really lol. UT4 will be a Arena Shooter, just like UT99 was. But whom am i to say? Do as you like, but i'm not feeling people here at this forum cheering for it It's always very negative towards huge things. Keep it simple man! Less is more
                      --> Thanks for the advice, will try to keep to it as much as possible, but there's a few things that make it hard to apply to this particular map. I'm going to explain why in a few lines. I'm trying my best to keep the arena-fight feeling, while showing a will to create something a bit new. I'm trying to compensate for the big surface in a number of ways, including fast elevators or maybe even teleporters that will make it easy to switch from one floor to another, and a pretty simple and straightforward layout on some of the parts that may look very big from the outside, but won't feel so huge, I hope, while playing.
                      Some parts are specifically made for bringing this arena fight feeling, as you can see in some of the screenshots. Anyway I will post some videos in not so long, and then I'll be really interested to see what you and the other people think about it.

Who's to say it can't be an ONS or Assault map, and those are typically quite big. Or a 24p DM map even.
                      I love the idea here, lots of Z axis!
                      --> Thanks a lot man ! I was actually hesistant about making it an Assault map for a very long time, and well I might still change my mind if it really proves to be unfit for DM. But I really like the idea of making it a 24p DM map. I don't think it could be used for Onslaught though, as the mostly vertical space is not fit for most of the available vehicles. Please tell me if you think otherwise.

So I get the bottom line; it is actually, as stated and repeated, an unusually big map when compared to most DM environments.

Now the thing is, with this map, I don't really want to make it feel exactly the same as UT99 maps. I want to explore something a little different, and I'd really like you to debate it with me so I can know whether my ideas on it are appropriate or not, being absolutely not a veteran UT player.

- I want to try and add some triggerable events, somewhat like what you might expect in an Assault map, but in a way more adapted to DM

- A consequent part of the map will not be accessible in the beginning of a game, and will have to be unlocked while playing by triggering these interactions. These spaces will not contain any spawn points, but will contain some most valuable pickups. The map will actually feel smaller before these parts are opened.

- At the start of the game, the players will find the map with all power off, and in order to access the other parts of the map, they will have to reactivate an old auxiliary power supply in the big tower, which enables a lift down to the main breaker room, situated at the lowest altitude under the same building.

- From there, they will be able to activate the main power supply, and switch the whole place back on.

- This includes the lift in the smaller tower, which takes players to the top of the buildings, to the cannon control room, where a [DMG augment/shield belt/or even a super weapon], can spawn. Something really useful will also spawn in the main breaker room, in order for people not to just wait for someone to switch the power on for them and reap what others sow. Also, I guess, there will be a delay and the place will be fully powered only after enough time for a player to get back up from the breaker room and near the parts where the big lift will be (noted lift 3 on the map).

Hoping that this didn't feel like a wall of text,

here's a TL;DR version : Yeah the map is pretty big, but will still feature some good old arena fight. Triggerable events will allow to switch on some inaccessible parts of the map. Thinking of a redeemer at the top of the tower. Pls debate ideas mentioned above.

Gentlemen,
                      Last edited by B4LTIC_[PJKZ]; 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Ported the BSP to UE4 today; this went pretty fine, everything looks great. It created a bunch of collision bugs though, which makes me wonder if I wouldn't rather make the map a static mesh and create the collision model myself when all is done. Thoughts about this, people ? Also I would need some feedback from experienced players about the ideas mentioned above, because once I'm sure that the concept is good, I'll move it to the [WIP] subforum.

Comment

Name:	HighresScreenshot000001.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	329416

Good news everyone ! the collision and light bugs I had yesterday are now totally gone, and the layout feels really nice and NOT SO HUGE at all when playing with the UT movement speed will update with videos very shortly. Still waiting for comments about the whole dynamic map concept.
                          Last edited by B4LTIC_[PJKZ]; 07-03-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Very pretty. Looking forward to seeing where this map ends up. LOVE the shadows. =)

Comment

Originally posted by B4LTIC_[PJKZ] View Post
                              --> Thanks for the advice, will try to keep to it as much as possible, but there's a few things that make it hard to apply to this particular map. I'm going to explain why in a few lines. I'm trying my best to keep the arena-fight feeling, while showing a will to create something a bit new. I'm trying to compensate for the big surface in a number of ways, including fast elevators or maybe even teleporters that will make it easy to switch from one floor to another, and a pretty simple and straightforward layout on some of the parts that may look very big from the outside, but won't feel so huge, I hope, while playing.
                              Some parts are specifically made for bringing this arena fight feeling, as you can see in some of the screenshots. Anyway I will post some videos in not so long, and then I'll be really interested to see what you and the other people think about it.
                              Thanks for the answer. Anxious to see how will it play out I think you have some really good ideas, that could be a serious contender for the final release, but as always we have to please the devs and their vision/concept for the game. You are on the right track to make something original!
                              work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Working...
                              X