No announcement yet.

[Map] DM-Peak [New Version 20180311]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chonglee your style is legendary, unique, & pure .... has always worked very well in the UT universe - very cool to see you over here working on this - good deal. - I tend to agree with M^uL definitely in good hands.
    UOF Admin / Map pack(s) instigator, coordinator, contributor.

Comment

Been 3 months since the last update. Sorry for that. From this summer I have been very busy every day and overtime a lot. I hope that project would be done sooner but the reality is it is going on at least for another one or two months. What a sick project.

Anyway, I did some changes for this map during this period. There are some big changes. Like the high mountain next to the main area, is now also a playable building. You get the redeemer, the mega health, a sniper and some pickups. You can teleport there or use the jumppad behind.

With this layout change, I had to relocate the weapons, the ammos, the healths, to make it balanced again. So overall, now this map feels quite different from the original one.
      Also added the navmesh to support bot. You could have a look of the video I recorded as I was playing against bots. I am not a good player anyway so it is more to show the basic direction than how this map is supposed to be played.

Speaking of the direction, I think in this version, it is clearer that i want to have multi-level vertical gameplay and hope to deliver smooth transitions between levels. Related to that, the pace will also be very fast, 5 seconds before you are up there on the highest, 5 seconds later you are down there for the belt.
      [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Looking at this, which is a pretty cool remake, gave me the idea of mixing up DM-Peak and DM-Morpheus...basically having Monastery like towers at different heights that have winding paths around them, and low gravity in places.

Comment

wow looking good

Comment

IS it possible to make a pak file?
            Join the community Facebook page
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Yes will do, I was still in dev mood after these months.

Comment

Waiting on the pak myself. You did an amazing job by looking at the pics and vid

Comment

Done.

You can download the pak from https://www.wuala.com/chongleebnw/Pu..._20141109.pak/

Comment

WOW!!! 1st THANK YOU!!! You did an amazing job the scale is perfect. The map feels like a totally new map with the additions. Anyone who hates peak, cos its a love hate relationship with peak, has to try this version out its amazing.
                    The bots work perfectly too.

Well done! 10/10
                    Join the community Facebook page
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

I recooked the map with the latest engine. Updated the download link in the original post and you can get it from here:
                      http://www.wuala.com/chongleebnw/Pub..._Recooked.pak/

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                      WOW!!! 1st THANK YOU!!! You did an amazing job the scale is perfect. The map feels like a totally new map with the additions. Anyone who hates peak, cos its a love hate relationship with peak, has to try this version out its amazing.
                      The bots work perfectly too.

Well done! 10/10
                      Thanks! I had the same feeling about this map and this is why remaking is sometimes a very interesting thing to do, because you have the chance to "fix" the part you didn't like.

Comment

Just tried it out with bots.. This remake is fantastic, I always liked the theme on Peak but the overall game-play was too crowded and chaotic, this version opens the whole map up and expands it, making it a lot more fun.

Oh, the bots have one tiny issue: they tend to get stuck at the belt, not sure if it is the map's fault.
                        Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Chaotic death drops is what made Peak, Peak. I don't care for the open up easy-mode of Peak. It's a solid design as a map but it flies against what the original captured in both mood and danger. Now it's lost it's bite and it just looks like someone went at the map and nerfed everything they found too hard to deal with. It's not as extreme of a departure from Peak as some of the UT99 maps to 2k4 like the huge Morpheus or Hyperblast but I would call this more in line with 2k4's Phobos. It's drastically different but even 2k4's Phobos kept the mood relatively the same. Bright and sunny day light is just not a good fit for Peak. Maybe dusk or early dawn would be more in line with it.

Overall this isn't a remake it's a re-envisioning entirely which are two very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                            Chaotic death drops is what made Peak, Peak. I don't care for the open up easy-mode of Peak. It's a solid design as a map but it flies against what the original captured in both mood and danger. Now it's lost it's bite and it just looks like someone went at the map and nerfed everything they found too hard to deal with. It's not as extreme of a departure from Peak as some of the UT99 maps to 2k4 like the huge Morpheus or Hyperblast but I would call this more in line with 2k4's Phobos. It's drastically different but even 2k4's Phobos kept the mood relatively the same. Bright and sunny day light is just not a good fit for Peak. Maybe dusk or early dawn would be more in line with it.

Overall this isn't a remake it's a re-envisioning entirely which are two very different things.
                            Did you even try to play it? I had plenty of chaotic (death) drops when I did, arguably even more than on the original on average. Pushing enemies around is also more prominent especially with the stinger alt, throwing them off their balance and off the map. My playthrough below was even a bit on the light side.

Last edited by Avalanche._; 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM.
                            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Of course I played it, my opinion isnt going to change on that it's easy mode and Peak only in name with general level design but the mood is gone and the bite is gone. In particular, it's the flow of the map that makes it so easy mode.

ChongLee makes what Steve Polge call "porous" maps. In that you can go anywhere, anytime and there's no real sense of specific action in terms of level design control in what happens in certain areas of the map.

The belt area has basically zero risk and you can get to it from about 4 different ways both inside and out, compare that to the high risk bottleneck it used to be over a death pit and there's no way to say it's not easy-mode. This same sort of feeling is all over the rest of the map. At no point is there any tension of moving around on the outer wooden walkways because you can just hop in a window that was never there before. Same goes for the boots, boots used to be a high risk high reward thing, now you barely spend a thought on carefully navigating the beam. Then there's the top roof which is no longer a roof and is just weird, where the Amp used to be now it's berserk and you can peg people off it or go into yet more windows. It makes sense that it's this way with the second tower being so easy to get to the roof instead of needing the boots via the dangerous beam.

No area is a real threat, and they all feel pretty samey in overall feel and flow. The incredibly easy portal to the Redeemer just further strengthens this, in the original map there was a high risk to get the best reward of the map (amp) but theres no such thing on Chong's Peak. No bottlenecks, or high risk-rewards every area connects to another with complete ease, the dangerous walkways are kiddie versions of themselves (wider = much easier). There's also wooden planks that even smooth out the 90 degree corners on the edges making it even more easy and there's no real risk. The many jump-pads just push the porous nature even more, and there's no real commitment to go somewhere in the map when you can change your mind at any time.

It's a well made map, Chong is a great mapper but it's too porous and isn't really Peak.
                              Last edited by FirebornForm; 12-09-2014, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Agree very much!
                                This is why it is still early in the dev, not a final layout.
                                As for the lighting, don't take it too seriously. I used that skybox only because it is one of the two skies I can find in the stock assets. The overall direction in my mind is somewhere cold, dark. Also at the moment the bright lighting helps to see the layout.

The belt area, it was a high risk area, mostly because that room had only one way out. The reason I added windows connected to the wooden walkway, is I feel that walkway was somehow least favorite or not that useful in the original. But with your comments, I will think about that for sure and I already feel there is room for improvement.
                                Also to be honest, personally I don't really like the current belt area, nor the original one which was too much Deck alike.

Most changes I did based on the intention of making the gameplay flows MUCH faster. I agree the original one was more about careful, risky, tight. But I guess that is not what I want to do. I want to have much faster rhythm which means navigation needs to be smooth which in turn requires some other changes.

Thank you very much for the feedback! Keep them coming please!

Comment

Working...
                                X