• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Map] DM-Peak [New Version 20180311]

The Latest Version:

Download The Pak from One of The Links:
    >>> UTCC <<<
    I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Map Name:
    DM-Peak

Map Description:
    A remake of this map

Changes:
    [20180311]
    - Shock rifle pit is no longer facing the belt room
    - The catwalk around the hp next to the mega health lift
    - Narrower path to the central lift
    - Width adjustment for some bridges
    - Lift sound adjustment to make each sound a bit different
    - For details check this post

Screenshots
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00014.jpg Views:	1 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	397758Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00015.jpg Views:	1 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	397759
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00016.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.6 KB ID:	397760
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00017.jpg Views:	1 Size:	267.3 KB ID:	397761Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	391.2 KB ID:	397762
    Click image for larger version  Name:	HighresScreenshot00019.jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.3 KB ID:	397763

Video
    No video for this version yet

Previous changes:
    [20170701]
    - Slightly faster lifts on the tower side
    - Recook
    - Come up with a concept for the visual (not really in the map yet)

[20170522]
    - Recook
    - Add UT generic objective points for DOM

[20170501]
    - Rebuild, recook

[20170411]
    - Rebuild, recook

[20170127]
    - Recook, only switched one sniper to the lighting rifle for test
    [20161120]
    - Layout changes around the SR room and the room above
    - Layout changes around the tower and pickups relocation
    [20150309]
    - The map scale has been reduced
    - The walkways are narrower
    - The vertical scale is reduced for better recreation of the boots feeling in the original
    - Major layout modification for the belt area, the udamage roof, and the tower
    - Playerstarts tuned
    [20150215]
    - The jumppad in front of the belt room is removed
    - The jumppad close to the bottom double hp room, is replaced with a teleporter
    - The jumppad behind the "tower" is removed, a lift is added for that area
    - A jumppad is added at the location of the previous 2nd jumpboots
    - The 2nd jumpboots is now at the bottom of the tower
    - The walkway in front of the belt room is now narrower
    - The single hp next to the belt room is removed
    - The original jumpboots is moved sligtly outside to a beam that can be attacked from below
    - The belt area is reshaped to keep the beam-like setup but at the same time feels fresh
    - Rebalanced the hp locations
    - Beams are added between the tower and the main building to give direct connections
    - Weapon relocated
    [20141109]
    - No more dark night lighting to ensure good visibility for such a map
    - Rebuilt the nearby mountain area to make it fully playable
    - Relocated weapons, armors, healths, ammos, playerstarts
    - Navmesh to support bot
    [20140810]
    - Added one more jumpboots
    - Removed the mega health
    - Added a teleporter which leads you to the top of the nearby mountain
    - Added a redeemer on top of the mountain
    - Replaced the amp with a berserk
    - Tuned the bottom rooms to have a more smooth and open area
    - Other micro layout modification
    - Vials added
    [20140630]
    - Finished the 1st playable layout
    - Figured out the overall scale
    - Playerstarts almost exactly as the original version
    - Armors
    - Weapon pickups and ammos
    - Health pickups
    - Basic lighting
    - Lifts and jumppads, 2 new jumppad routes
    - Powerup location, especially amp area is changed
    - Size balancing between upper levels and lower levels
    Last edited by chonglee; 03-11-2018, 04:25 AM.
    [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

i got peak remade for UT3 using Static mesh
    The jump pad on the last image in my ut3 version led to a single tower some distance away with a deemer on it. The pad then returned to the highest point.
    - If your interested take a look and it might give you some alternative ideas.

As for the Environment;
    • The map like was placed within a Huge dormant volcano, well at the apex of the volcano (or peak/ both good puns) but inside it [make sense?].
      - so it created a view of the entire inside of the volcano + the surrounding landscape, falling off the map lead into a long drop to the lava
    • The volcano afai-recall is available both in Low poly and high poly but the LOD projection modifier is a bit messy

* A volcano can be produced very effectively and fast by using a heightmap image conversion, middleware called L3DT, a bit of tweaking and smoothing with landscape editor, clean up in 3DSMax, detailed in Mudbox and then optimised in 3ds max ready for UE4.
    ^^ the whole process can be done with outstanding results in less than 1 hour.
    food for thought if anything

p.s.
    i do not like space maps and gravity so that's why i will push for a volcanic scene
    Last edited by TKBS; 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM.
    Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

That looks great Moon! Can't wait to try it
      | a.k.a: Barballs | pathnode.com | See ya star side!

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
        i got peak remade for UT3 using Static mesh
        The jump pad on the last image in my ut3 version led to a single tower some distance away with a deemer on it. The pad then returned to the highest point.
        - If your interested take a look and it might give you some alternative ideas.

As for the Environment;
        • The map like was placed within a Huge dormant volcano, well at the apex of the volcano (or peak/ both good puns) but inside it [make sense?].
          - so it created a view of the entire inside of the volcano + the surrounding landscape, falling off the map lead into a long drop to the lava
        • The volcano afai-recall is available both in Low poly and high poly but the LOD projection modifier is a bit messy

* A volcano can be produced very effectively and fast by using a heightmap image conversion, middleware called L3DT, a bit of tweaking and smoothing with landscape editor, clean up in 3DSMax, detailed in Mudbox and then optimised in 3ds max ready for UE4.
        ^^ the whole process can be done with outstanding results in less than 1 hour.
        food for thought if anything

p.s.
        i do not like space maps and gravity so that's why i will push for a volcanic scene
        Hey TKBS,

I tried to find your Peak remake on google but no luck so far. Could you give me a link or show some pictures here so I can have a look?
        As for environment, volcano is a good idea, but for now I am more looking at a cold and harsh environment, so that you feel it is really "peak".

@bcogan,
        Thanks!

Comment

Are the jump pads really necessary? I think it is fine without the jump pads it adds a little of a challenge to get to the top to get the goodies. I agree that it should have somewhat space theme or somewhere high in the mountains.
          History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
          UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
          UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
          UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Going with a theme from the original Unreal, I think it would be nice to have it sitting above the clouds with stars above!
            Unreal Old Friends
            My previous Unreal work

Comment

Wow, a Peak from ChongLee! Good to see you working on this CL. Definitely in good hands.
              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Porksword View Post
                Going with a theme from the original Unreal, I think it would be nice to have it sitting above the clouds with stars above!
                +1 to this.

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                  Are the jump pads really necessary? I think it is fine without the jump pads it adds a little of a challenge to get to the top to get the goodies. I agree that it should have somewhat space theme or somewhere high in the mountains.
                  I would say the opposite - i want as much freedom in vertical movement as it is possible. Jump pads are good and i would like to see more of them. As far as i like original Peak i'm fully aware that this map is average when it comes to quality of its floorplan. It needs a lot of redesigning and experiments.
                  Unofficial Enforcer Model
                  Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

I'll be following this one too. Great work Lee
                    Stevie's corner Maps, DM-Akar A1, DM-Aryth R1, DM-Aly R1, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta Links, All UT4 CTF custom maps, All UT4 remakes, UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Excellent work man

Peak was a popular theme map for UT1, but never actually a popular map(although we currently have an edited version in shock domination which is really popular)

The main issues were the map flow, it's a cramped map with power ups spread out away from the action, most games came down to rocket spam around the spawns, the action in the map tended to go around the low and mid areas too with most people not knowing how to play the map

The map also felt quite tight and hard to move around in whilst still taking a lot of time to get from one location to another

BUT

Having tested this map with the default movement and some custom blueprints i can say this is much more open, a pleasure to move around in whilst still keeping the feel of peak

The additions you've put in make going from top to bottom much easier and more obvious, this should open up the map

We've been testing your stuff in #beyondunreal on irc.utchat.com - i invite you to idle there and take part in discussions and playtests

Also some of your other maps

Deepblue - plays very well, lot's of open space and the action is focused around a few different areas

Deck - a lot of fun to play, most feedback is that it's too cluttered, i'd recommend removing the pillars in mid and trimming down some of the wall segments blocking off the corridors

Deck is a lot of fun but it's also very small, there isn't a lot of room to move - having a smaller deck isn't a bad thing in itself but it does limit your options a bit, you notice the size issues moving around the outer ring of corridors and their connecting rooms, it feels good to move around mid but a single dodge does take you very far(upto 2/3 accross mid) so it's still very cramped for prolonged combat

Comment

Hey tigerclaw, thanks for the feedback, and actually i start to feel the same recently. It is a little bit strange because i remember clearly months ago, the scale felt about right, smaller than the original version, but not tight. But with the current player character/movement, it does feel uncomfortable sometimes. So these weeks, beside super busy day job, i tried to have one or 2 hours to tune the layout everyday. I did a few different versions and compared them.

Check the screenshots in the initial post to see the changes. I think currently the scale is getting better. But the layout is not final yet. Sometimes scale is something you can't rush for it. Sometimes after a few days you come back to check, you will find issues that you ignored before.

As for Peak, I fully agree with you. In the next few days I will switch back to work on this map.
                        As for DeepBlue, I really need to add back the rest of the layout from the UT3 version. But it will have to be after Peak.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Comment

Finally got some time to work on this map in the end of this week.
                          It's been almost 2 months.

New version 20140810 has been uploaded. Check the first post.

Mostly the modification is layout tweaking, I figured the bottom rooms were still less welcome so this is the main focus in this update.
                          Another is I feel overall i want to enhance the vertical and fast-paced feeling of this map, so I did:
                          - Add another jumpboots
                          - Replaced the mega health with a teleporter which connects to the mountain top
                          - Replaced the amp with a berserk

Because the mega health is gone, I added 2 health packs, and a few vials, maybe need more. On top of the mountain, there is a redeemer, as I feel this is a perfect location to use it and this map is a "space" map which causes no trouble to the redeemer.

Comment

It's looking tight now CL. Great job on the updates.

Comment

Added to build.

I'm going to put this and deck into the rotation on some of the servers, with any luck people come and post some feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X