Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Minato

Hi everyone!

I've got some early work-in-progress to show you of my deathmatch level set in a futuristic Japanese harbour town. I hope that doesn't set the expectations too high, I've really only just blocked out the initial layout...but if you want to get a better idea of what I'm thinking in terms of visuals, here's the concept art piece that I found on Feng Zhu's blog and that inspired me: http://fengzhudesign.com/blog/fzd_in...design_926.jpg Obviously I made some changes for gameplay reasons (and I will probably make more moving forward) but that's as far as the general theme is concerned.

Without further ado the first screenshots:

As you can see I've got some problems with the lightmaps. I've created a few static meshes in Maya (e.g. the roofs) and used the automatic UV mapping (in Maya). Maybe this is where I'm going wrong, maybe it's something else. I'm learning as I go, maybe one of you can give me a hint

The big building in the concept art is a tea house. The interiors of these buildings are typically fairly empty and void of any structures to take cover behind. So I'm thinking this could be a type of market building where fishermen and other merchants set up small booths (that's at least slightly different from the warehouses full of crates we've seen in many games before). BTW. I'm looking for an environment artist to team up with on this level, so if you can create pretty meshes and textures, I'd love to hear from you!

Lighting is also 100% placeholder - speaking of which: any preferences as far as daytime goes? Day/dusk/dawn/night? I might record a video of me running through the level so you get a better idea of the layout (there are quite a few tunnels and rooms you cannot see on these screenshots).

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions!

Cheers
    -Frie
    Attached Files

I really like the idea and would love to see a recording of the layout. Only downside atm is that it looks huge. I think dawn might be a good time to set it, with the rising sun and reddy orange lights, but i'd advise that you experiment with different times to see which has the best feel. I made an account just to say how much i'm buzzing for this map lol
    Really good work, keep it up!

Comment

Id love to see a run though! The most important issues at this stage are 1) Is the map fun to play 2) Balance 3) is it on the Grid

Do you have weapons/Spawns/Pickups placed?

Comment

Originally posted by SopranoObject View Post
        I really like the idea and would love to see a recording of the layout. Only downside atm is that it looks huge. I think dawn might be a good time to set it, with the rising sun and reddy orange lights, but i'd advise that you experiment with different times to see which has the best feel. I made an account just to say how much i'm buzzing for this map lol
        Really good work, keep it up!
        Yep, I'll do that. It isn't that big actually, but I'm still a little concerned about having too long view distances. At this point not so much due to performance-issues but I also don't want it to be a camping-fest. So I'll need to make sure there are enough structures to break up the big spaces and provide cover. Vertical gameplay by the piers is also something that I suspect, will need to be improved. I hope we won't have to wait too long for the first play-test! Thanks for the kind words!

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
        Id love to see a run though! The most important issues at this stage are 1) Is the map fun to play 2) Balance 3) is it on the Grid

Do you have weapons/Spawns/Pickups placed?
        1) & 2): There is not a way to play the pre-alpha online with other users and test the gameplay yet is there? Because I'd love to start play-testing the level asap.
        3): If by that you mean "are the brushes placed on the grid" then: yes, they are. I've wasted way too many hours looking for vis-leaks in my Half-Life mapping days, to not pay extra attention to this

I've placed the currently available weapon pick-ups, jump pads and big health items, but I still need to place ammo and small health items. Thanks for the comments, guys! I'll record a video in the upcoming days!

Comment

Frie, I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this map.
          www.funrealtournament.com «« My maps
          www.smartapplerocks.com «« My music

Comment

Solid work!
            Twitter- @mozidesigner

Comment

Working...
            X