Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Revel (WIP)

Hello!

9/23/2014

New Download link with updated Version.

https://ut.rushbase.net/Numb

DM-Revel-04

9/15/2014

I COMPLETELY redid this level. I started 2 days ago and I believe that I finally have something to show. My first Map making attempt I had no real grasp on UT because I haven't played UT for 6 years let alone any FPS. But now I believe that I have regained some knowledge of what makes UT fun. The approach im going for is both a Rocket Arena map and a duel map. I don't really know if it's possible but i'll try anyway.

Possible Problems:

* It might be too complex in terms of movement. I think lifts are a little buggy still, and there's not really much I can do about it.
    * People in irc suggested that I remove some columns, so I did.
    * I should possibly reduce the amount of grates in the level, or at least make it easier to shoot through them. They are intended to break Line of Sight and make sniping less powerful. But just a simple wall would be just as efficient and less resource intensive.
    * Some areas look like they have scaling issues. I'll address that too. This is my first pass. I've only been working on it for 2 days.
    Anyway, here is a video instead of screenshots.

9/19/2014

Updated again.
    *Improved flow by making areas more consistent in size.
    *Removed possible snags from Lift Jumping.
    *Improved lightingSorry no download link yet!!
    *removed cluttered pillars.
    *added some more strategically placed slope dodges and some dodge roll routes.

Last edited by Numb.51; 09-23-2014, 05:35 PM.

Wow, this looks impressive! Even as a block layout, it feels a lot like UT99 and I really like your lighting, even if it's temporary. The movement seems to involve some trickjumping, that's good (at least given the screenshots it does!). The last screenshot in particular reminds me of a map... I just can't remember which one. I think DM-Tempest? :S

I'll see if I can try it soon, I still need to finish some stuff first and get my UT install up-to-date, but this seems like a very very promising map!

I'm curious about what design you'll take. Seems like something industrial.
    S l y .

Comment

Indeed, from the screens it looks like a fun map!
      Twitter- @mozidesigner

Comment

Looking good! Love the Double Damage placement.
        Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Too much orange lighting. Maybe some spots are a little too well lit, even. If the map was given a theme, you could get light sources that way so you can make the map look cool and have enough light. Like tanks of goop in the wall giving off a faint green light through some glass.
          Flak M0nk3y 4 Life

Comment

Originally posted by SpitShine Tommy View Post
            Too much orange lighting. Maybe some spots are a little too well lit, even. If the map was given a theme, you could get light sources that way so you can make the map look cool and have enough light. Like tanks of goop in the wall giving off a faint green light through some glass.
            The "too much orange" probably will be resolved in time. Right now, every map being made is in a similar condition of placebo lights, placebo textures, placebo weapons, and so on.

About the map, it looks cool! I wonder, how will people get to the UDamage the most often? Slope dodging, or lift jumping?
            Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
            Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
            Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
            --Captain Crit

Comment

Yeah the lighting is literally just there to see. I think that slope dodging is still a little buggy. I don't make the sniper to amp slope Dodge 100 percent of the time. Maybe that's a good thing

Comment

Nice work so far! I think the lighting is fine for now. I don't think you will truly know for sure until you know how reflective the materials you place down in the final map are. Keep up the good work!
                Last edited by FoeJred; 07-15-2014, 12:56 AM.
                Joseph Frederick
                FoeJred@Gmail.com
                www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Found a hole near the flak cannon:

bottom side:

Last edited by raxxy; 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Numb, you're way to hard on yourself - it looks like a great start!
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Yeah raxxy I forgot that was there :/ I've been working on the map a bit and I should have an update when I get internet in this new house. Currently the map is quite boxy. I plan on making it more curvy in the next version because it seems like that's uts new style.

Comment

it looks a little open, like no matter where i stand i would be open to attack from any weapon
                        Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Finally had a chance to play some other maps :-)
                          Your layout is very good and I like how you've incorporated advanced movement.
                          Also, I know you said the lighting is temporary but you already have a pretty good mood going. Good stuff!
                          MyArtstation
                          @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                            Yeah raxxy I forgot that was there :/ I've been working on the map a bit and I should have an update when I get internet in this new house. Currently the map is quite boxy. I plan on making it more curvy in the next version because it seems like that's uts new style.
                            Actually I quite like the "blocky" style, in fact it makes it look really "UT" to me. Great map so far.

Comment

Great looking map, love the shapes and lighting.
                              The Development Process:
                              We take what we know and build something from that.

Comment

Working...
                              X