DM_Json

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM_Json

So here's the first look at my current project (the one I will iterate on) and no, I haven't come up with a good name for it. I have a few changes planned already, especially with regards to the right side of the starting area (50s into the video) and the shock rifle area.

The basic layout is a central hub area with 4/5 big areas around it. It's quite large, more like a 4-8 player map than a 1v1 or low FFA and has all the different weapons. It looks extremely blocky, both because it is and because there is no ceiling on the majority of the areas. The weapon pickups are there but there are no spawns, health or ammo pickups so it's not quite playable yet.

The texture/lighting is very flat, which means all the areas look very similar, but having the post-process effect just makes all of the unlit areas bright enough to start playing without adding any lights.

Video here

Download link (17/9):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../dm_brawl.umap

Cooked version (10/9):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...K/DM-Brawl.rar

Edit: cooked version and small update
    Last edited by Huckle; 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM.
    /Jonas - youtube.com/user/JTykesson -

This looks great! Can't wait to test it out with others.
    Joseph Frederick
    FoeJred@Gmail.com
    www.FoeJred.com

Comment

I've updated the map, now it has player spawns, health and ammo pickups, meaning it should be fairly playable at this point. I've also made a couple of changes to the sniper/flak side and added a path between top flak area and shock area (center of picture 3). Swapped rocket launcher and minigun locations.

The area I'm least happy with at the moment is the 4 pillar minigun room (2:10 in the vide), but I'd like to test it before doing anything about it.

The link is still the same, I just wrote over the file so check op.

Comment

Another update, this time with a complete makeover of the minigun room as well as the sniper -> minigun transition (see image 1). Pointless features include colored lights and stairs instead of ramps. I'm still quite worried that it's fundamentally flawed in how big it is and that the sniper is going to be the ultimate weapon.

It seems like the WIP subforum is the place for these so if someone would move this over, that'd be nice.

Edit: removed old images to clear up thread
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Huckle; 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Hey Huckle,
          Nice work so far!
          I think for the most part the scaling look ok. One suggestion I have is in the first image, the "openness" may be addressed by adding a wall to minimize the sight line while making that area feel smaller - see image (you could even do walls with windows if you still want the sight line there to achieve a similar effect)
          Also, I think the hallway to the left there may be a little too wide? Not quite sure, but try playing around with the thickness of that wall. I think at the moment, the area in that first screen shot may be too easily dominated but these changes may help reduce that.
          Again, nice work :-)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	jTb4biR.png
Views:	1
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	329721
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
            Hey Huckle,
            (you could even do walls with windows if you still want the sight line there to achieve a similar effect)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6385[/ATTACH]
            This is excellent feedback and the perfect way to do it (with pictures). The solution you suggested is actually the plan, having some sort of bridge with partial cover, though I haven't yet decided if I want some sort of railing or a high wall with full-height holes.

As far as the wall thickness goes, I'm just not at that level of detail yet. The last change to that area started off by completely removing about half of the brushes in the entire room.

I actually think most of the areas (at least 3) are fairly easily dominated, which is one of the effects of starting off the way I did. What I'm trying to do is make the distance between the domination points as far as possible and place powerups in other places to make camping less viable.

Comment

it looks great!
              Musician , Composer.

Comment

Another update. There are still some glaring issues but I feel like the transitions between areas are much better now.

Removed middle stairs to top level, extended the path out over flak, added an extra path on the lower level.

New video instead of pictures:

Comment

VERY nice. Love the layout so far. Looks like a good combination of open areas and close areas. Plus interesting vertical options for quickly changing routes. Can't wait to see the map when you start to dress it up and establish an aesthetic theme. Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Hymnal View Post
                    VERY nice. Love the layout so far. Looks like a good combination of open areas and close areas. Plus interesting vertical options for quickly changing routes. Can't wait to see the map when you start to dress it up and establish an aesthetic theme. Great job!
                    Cheers, but be careful with what you wish for. I'm pretty bad at modeling and completely terrible at texturing/materials. There is still a lot of work to be done, it's not even tested yet.

Anyway, update again. This time focused on the rocket launcher area (added lift from lower level) and giving a bit of extra space to the spiral staircase part.

Attached Files

Comment

Final update for a couple of weeks, I no longer feel like any part of the map is completely broken so I suppose I'm starting to reach a playable level.

This time the updates are mostly expanding the mid room and edits of the shock room. The elevator is moved out to a separate room, stairs to lower level closed off and moving the stairs around a bit. Some small stuff as well, like expanding the diagonal bridge to minigun.

Download link still in OP.

Comment

There are a lot of cool ideas in this map. I think my suggestion would be to focus some of the areas in it. There are so many different paths and openings in every part of the map, it doesn't seem (at least from just seeing the video) that there's any sort of natural flow for players to follow. It also causes a problem of giving way too many possible angles for enemies to be coming from. Each area should only have a few places for opponents to come from, it should only take a moment to check every one of those angles quickly and assess the situation. Also, I think the different sections should be divided a little better, it's not really obvious where one area ends and another begins. Again, some really good ideas here, I'm sure an awesome arena will come out of it.
                        Last edited by Rhizy27; 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Imo it's overall way too open. Pure hitscan mid-long range practically everywhere. If a DM-Corrugation type of map is what you wanted to accomplish then it's pretty much perfect range-wise.
                          On second look it's very confusing and doesn't feel "connected" at all. Like a high amount of rooms that don't really belong to one another. Basically it has a complete random flow, which in my eyes is a bad thing but I really don't want to bash it. It's just my opinion.

For an example what I mean, this whole area has absolutely no purpose whatsoever. The two lift area seems great in theory but there is no weapon nearby to make this a point of interest, or better said to channel players through it.

And for readability try to connect ares more and have less "dead areas" on the map. If after an hour running the map I still have problems to remember the routes its not going to click for people.
                          I like the architecture a lot tho, those sloped stairs or the "middle area" for example are really beautiful.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Tetsu; 08-25-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I don't know if I have played the latest version or not (I think I have the version from 8/15), but the thing that stood out to me was the size of the map. It seems a bit large for my personal taste, with some areas not serving a purpose that is clear right away. Tightening up the map would make it suit my personal taste, but I'm not sure what feel or player count you're going for.
                            David Spalinski
                            @spazinski
                            Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsu View Post
                              Imo it's overall way too open. Pure hitscan mid-long range practically everywhere. On second look it's very confusing and doesn't feel "connected" at all. Like a high amount of rooms that don't really belong to one another.

For an example what I mean, this whole area has absolutely no purpose whatsoever. The two lift area seems great in theory but there is no weapon nearby to make this a point of interest, or better said to channel players through it.

And for readability try to connect ares more and have less "dead areas" on the map. If after an hour running the map I still have problems to remember the routes its not going to click for people.
                              I like the architecture a lot tho, those sloped stairs or the "middle area" for example are really beautiful.
                              You're right in that the elevator bit doesn't really add anything, basically that part from the stairs to the outer wall hasn't really been changed much and probably should be. Is there any part that you feel is about right, size-wise? The shock room and mid for instance.

I'd really like to know some of the areas where you feel like you don't know where you're going though. The biggest problems off the top of my head are the different lower level paths from middle (that are all the same size) and the topmost ledge in the flak room, given that the rest of the routes are generally just a circular path around the map.

Originally posted by David Spalinski View Post
                              I don't know if I have played the latest version or not (I think I have the version from 8/15), but the thing that stood out to me was the size of the map. It seems a bit large for my personal taste, with some areas not serving a purpose that is clear right away. Tightening up the map would make it suit my personal taste, but I'm not sure what feel or player count you're going for.
                              Is the bigger problem the size of the map generally or some of the areas individually? The original plan was to have something big enough for 8 players, with a couple different fights at any given time. I definitely buy the part about most of the sniper/flak side being too big, as well as the minigun room which I'm still not at all happy with.

Comment

Working...
                              X