Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-TDB-JunkJitsu (Started 9 years ago in UT2004, finishing it in UE4 for the new UT)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-TDB-JunkJitsu (Started 9 years ago in UT2004, finishing it in UE4 for the new UT)

Just some screens from BSP work. I've got butt-tons more to do before I can get some flow playtesting happening.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your patience, help, and support.

=== OLD STUFF BELOW ===

I started work on DM-TDB-JunkJitsu back in 2005... never finished it. I've started work on this map in the UE4 editor as a learning/re-learning experience and so far I'm having butt-tons of fun learning the new features.

The three screens below are from the UT2004 version. (I'll post UE4 version updates and screens later and will continue to update this thread on progress.)

Cheers,
    Teddie 'teddabod' Tapawan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Teddie; 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM.
    www.funrealtournament.com «« My maps
    www.smartapplerocks.com «« My music

I knew it was just a matter of time.

Looking forward to the first results. The UT2004 map's design is quite interesting, but eventually adding a bit more asian influence in the skybox could be nice, I can only see mountains and sky on those screenshots. This looks more like it's a part of a junkyard facility from some city or part of something bigger though, for which a skybox with UT3-esque asian sci-fi could work well.
    What do you think and what are your plans regarding surroundings?
    S l y .

Comment

Teddie it's so awesome to see you here. I can't wait for you to finish this!
      Stacey Conley
      -----------------------------
      Unreal Tournament Community Manager
      Epic Games, Inc.
      Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Im also more than amazed by
        those designs - junk and asian!
        GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Sly, thanks. The lower part of the skybox actually is a bit "Asiany" but I plan to completely redo it. At this point, I'm not even sure how they handle skyboxes in the new engine, so it's low on my list right now. I've got all the BSP set up in UE4 and I've brought in and re-UV'd some of my meshes for walkways/bridges so I can test the flow a bit better and make tweaks accordingly. There are a lot of flow changes that I want to make from the UT2004 W.I.P. especially with double-jump not there any longer.

Flak, good to see you too! Hey, get a workout in today. You are looking great. Today is leg day for me. BAMMMM!

Kaal979, thank you!

Comment

Don't forget about the new multiwalldodge, maybe you can add some twists including that feature?
            S l y .

Comment

Sly, I hope to get some play-testing in from folks who really know how to move around in the game. I remember back in the UT2004 days, folks were extremely helpful with their input after play-testing maps. Loved it. Loved the community.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean!
                That didn't ever stop, but the frequency decreased drastically within the last two years - unfortunately... I hope this game will not only attract people who are familiar with UT, but also new ones who gain interest in the franchise and revive the older games as well.
                S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                  Teddie it's so awesome to see you here. I can't wait for you to finish this!
                  Major +1 to this!
                  Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I'll have some screenshots in the next few days...

So I've decided to just redo my BSP from scratch because I have so many route, etc. changes that it just feels better for my OCD to redo it completely.

I was working on some of the elevator/lifts yesterday... I don't remember how difficult it was to set up lifts in UT2004, because perhaps it wasn't that difficult, but last night setting up lifts in UE4, my head exploded a little...

Comment

lol
                      Well, it was pretty simple in UT2004:
                      Add mover from selected static mesh in browser, set movement trigger-option, go to key 1, move it to last position, set key 0, then add sounds in properties, done.

Since UE3 the requirements for a simple lift went up as one had to use Matinees in Kismet (now Blueprints) and stuff like that... Surely unnecessarily complicated for such a simple task, but it bears many advantages over key-based movers I have to admit. Still, it would have been better if they kept the old key-alternative. Didn't check if Epic premade a blueprint based lift actor or not, but considering how Deck got one, I assume they did.

Still looking forward to test your map.
                      S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                        I'll have some screenshots in the next few days...

So I've decided to just redo my BSP from scratch because I have so many route, etc. changes that it just feels better for my OCD to redo it completely.

I was working on some of the elevator/lifts yesterday... I don't remember how difficult it was to set up lifts in UT2004, because perhaps it wasn't that difficult, but last night setting up lifts in UE4, my head exploded a little...
                        It's actually much easier. IMO
                        Simply add a generic lift and add a mesh to it.
                        Then set the lift destination.
                        The generic lift actor was a community created (I believe) class that makes adding lifts to maps easier.
                        There is no sound option right now.

If you prefer to set up your own lift manually in BP, it takes a few more steps but shouldn't be much more difficult. I think there's a simple door tutorial in the docs that you can adapt...

Good work, too.
                        MyArtstation
                        @jayoplus

Comment

I started work on DM-TDB-JunkJitsu back in 2005... never finished it. I've started work on this map in the UE4 editor as a learning/re-learning experience and so far I'm having butt-tons of fun learning the new features.

The three screens below are from the UT2004 version. (I'll post UE4 version updates and screens later and will continue to update this thread on progress.)

Cheers,
                          Teddie! another of my favourite mapper, emm this map was released before? I dont have this map in ut2k4 :/

Comment

sly and jaypolus, thanks for your help and advice on the lifts. I'm going to keep playing around with them. I'm running into a problem where I'm falling through the lift mesh if I jump a little during the 'up' movement of the lift. Going to look at that more tonight.

darksonny, hello! Yeah, I never finished this map, so I never released it for UT2004. I'm really excited to get it finished in UE4 for the new UT.

Comment

It would be great if you and other mappers would work with, or even take lessons from Neillithan, aka: CaptainFlaccid, aka: CaptainMigraine, aka: ComcastSucks, AKA: what ever else you call him, I just call him Neil. The guy knows how to make maps that are good for pros because they have no collision issues and the way he setups static meshes to only display on specific detail modes is amazing for people who like FPS maps for game play, but also for people who prefer want to play on high graphics. Most of all I mention this because it looks as though this map is going to be a collision nightmare, and if you want your maps to be taken seriously by good players they need to have flawless collision, no getting stuck on ANYTHING

P.S. Izzy The Lizard has already started hanging out with us on the galaxypugs Teamspeak @ ts6.gamespeak.com:9117 and from what I understand n00bzaibot comes in from time to time as well.

Cheers,
                              Last edited by Dr.ToxicVenom; 07-29-2014, 07:23 PM.
                              Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
                              MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
                              Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Working...
                              X