• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Test-JP01

DOWNLOAD .PAK version a09
    Please unzip the .pak file into your local /Content/Paks folder

DOWNLOAD EDITOR SOURCE FILES(coming)

Update 02232015
    Made a few layout tweaks and updated the build.

Update 01282015

So following the feedback from the stream a couple of weeks ago, a few things have been reworked. Notably

- Flag room steep slopes have been streamlined so all slopes are accessible.
    - The slope to sniper ridge has also be reworked to aid the visual accessibility of that area.
    - The shock exit has also been modified to follow suit with all the other areas that were reworked due to the awkward slopes.
    - Did a first pass on including the invisibility in the middle. This actually may turn out to be a little bit fun. We shall see. ^_^
    - Some other minor layout fixes and tweaks to the rocket room area.

Hello all,
    So following feedback from last week, I've made some tweaks to the layout. Primarily to incorporate the low gravity area in the mid into every flag run.
    So Update 01/09/2015
    - Removed one of the towers from the middle area to open the space up for combat in the middle area.
    - Tweaked the low gravity values again for some faster movement and reduced terminal velocity.
    - Added jump pad to middle area that can give potential form some trick maneuvers across middle area.
    - Added jump pad in flak room.

As always, feedback is very welcome ^_^
    cheers.

Update: 01/03/2015
    Hello all,
    So after several months, I went back and did a major overhaul on this map. A lot has changed in the core game since the last update so the majority of the map was redone from scratch to match.
    - Layout of the map largely changed, with elements of the flag room intact
    - Shuffled all item and weapon placement to match updated layout.
    - Updated all low gravity areas and increased the gravity and terminal velocity a bit for faster gameplay (IMO)
    -More changes that may just be too many to list :-)

Please let me know what you all think.

Video: http://youtu.be/0OBrG558Qww

Update 09/08/2014

Update:

So taking the feedback from Sid last week, changes have been made to the middle area.
    - Expanded out the center of the map a little more to create the mid walkway with the jump boots.
    - In order to place more emphasis on the outside low grav route, I moved the keg from the center of the map to one of the outside routes. Also placed a Shield belt opposite the keg on the other outer route.
    - Removed the amps from each base and moved the amp to the center of the map (only one amp left)
    - Fixed geometry issues pointed out by Sidney and David. Especially the flag room. Made it a little bit more spacious. Also tweaked the layout of the stairs in the chest armor room.
    - Little bits of tweaks here and there that I didn't really note down ^_^

Video: http://youtu.be/EaQdjfDU_uo

Update 09/01/2014

So I took David's feedback and made the middle of the map transition a little better. The change isn't drastic along the middle, but I made the two side routes go through an "outdoor low grav" area. Basically it was a win-win since the initial map design had some low gravity in it that I had to take out for logistical reasons. I think making this transition does make the map play a better :-)
    So this update only has that major change.
    Other changes and fixes include replacing a bunch of assets that got broken due to the shifting of things that happened on the back end on git. Lifts are still sort of broken for me so I couldn't show jumps in the video but hopefully it works when cooked!

I will have a cooked version asap. Still trying to sort out the cooks here.

Note: Of course, during the meshing phase, I hope to make the transition even more obvious with geometry across the middle but for now, I only place a bunch of chevrons to orient players (I love those chevrons!)

So here is an updated video: http://youtu.be/AKYf7-JtLPQ

Cheers

Update 08/16/2014

SO I went back to the drawing board a little with the map and rebuilt the core layout from scratch.
    This time just focusing on the actual routes and removed any of the other stuff including the pillars and boxes, etc only leaving those that are strategically there for the layout purposes. This actually accomplished two things, I think - 1) Removing them made me realize that the map was actually much bigger than I really intended and 2) I was sort of pigeon-holed into a visual style which was something I really wanted to avoid at this stage. As a side note, redoing the map made me realize a few things I was doing wrong which contributed to the file size being so huge - new file is ~20mb smaller ^_^

- This map is overall about 4000 UUs smaller. Most noticeable is the mid area - I really think I was overthinking it in the previous versions so this time I just kept it simple and left it :-) Not quite sure about the power up placement in the middle but left it at the current state to minimize the possibility of stacking.
    - The room with the chest armor was made a little bigger to really emphasize the multilevel combat in that area which I think I didn't really do a good job of previously.
    - The flak/Udamage route was completely revamped and I hope this new version makes up for the "confusing" one I had previously.
    - Completely removed the "basement/space" route. I believe it was a little over-complicated and contributed to overall cluttered feel of the gameplay.
    - Also removed the translocator teleporters. With the map now more focused and smaller, there was really no need for them anymore. While the map is smaller, it is still a rather large map intended for high player counts (5v5 and higher) so hopefully this is still playable at those levels.

Anyways, thanks for reading and thanks to those who have provided feedback so far. I'll leave it at this version for a while (save for any minor tweaks that may come up). Side note... map was renamed (still working titles)

Screens

Video: http://youtu.be/mfIsa_WZWkc

Update 08/08/2014

So, I had a few extra hours today so I figured I'd go ahead and make some tweaks and updates.
    So here is a new version:

- Replaced the default grid material with a stock shell metal material
    - Added navigation arrows across the map to aid in layout (these will be subsequently removed)
    - Moved the flag to a new location: I think this may be one of the reasons for the confusing layouts. The previous location of the flag I think made it appear that there were some routes that were not immediately visible. Hope this new location and layout tweaks help that.
    - Tweaked the flag room layout to better provide cover for attackers.
    - Increased the overall lighting brightness of the map.
    - Replaced the BP low gravity zones with the UTCustomPhysics volume since that came online recently. Also finally got the layout for the outside space area done with the necessary Kill zones.

Well, no video since there was not much different from the previous video, but here are some new screens.

Update 08/05/2014

- Also feel free to follow updates on Github.
    - Layout overall is at a point where I feel most of the decisions work out well. Map is asymmetrical although the bases are the same layout (rotated)
    - Weapon and ammo placement available (feedback welcome)
    - The fastest route from flag to flag takes about 30s to cap (I'm sure this can be faster with more experienced players :-) )
    - The outside "space" route is largely hacked in since there are no gravity volumes. It works OK but may be broken... This will be updated in future versions :-)
    - The teleporter only work for translocators as shown in the video. For now it was made with a level BP, but hopefully this can be extended to a subclass of the current teleporter (working on this ATM)
    - Of course, everything is very WIP!
    - There may be a few more changes that I'm missing from the last version since most of these was done over the past several days.

** For some reason, playing the game in standalone mode did not compile the shaders for the glass windows so you can't see in the video the actual vista. This does not break the map from being playable, just wanted to point this out for those that may open the map in the editor and see something different than the video.**

Video: http://youtu.be/eu9XFVizPIo

Update 07/31/2014
    No DL update atm.
    I pretty much just wanted to share the current WIP state.
    -Refining the layout of the map with the different play areas.
    -Gave the map a working title name... Sort of fits the "space theme" and the idea I had for the map.
    One of the major updates I'm working on is making the map completely asymmetrical. The current version is asymmetrical but rotated, meaning the bases are still the same. But with the introduction of half-time and side switching, I figured I needed to make the map completely asymmetrical so that the bases are different that way when the sized switch folks actually feel the switch!
    Current WIP images... nothing special so far, lighting is very RAW!

Update 07/28/2014
    This is the first playable version of the map although a lot of stuff is still broken and is generally WIP.
    The route outside the map in the bottom should be low gravity but without gravity volumes, I haven't figured out how to make that work yet.
    Weapons are placed, but ammo placement is not yet done. Haven't really thought much about that part but I wanted to get the download out.

So features:
    Space - map is intended as a 100% indoor tech map located in space (theme pending)
    Mostly indoor routes but I want to add an outdoor route. I'm having some difficulty getting this to work since there are no longer gravity volumes and physics volumes aren't getting me the intended results. Right now I have hacked in a blueprint "solution" but it is not perfect as the low gravity still pulls the player to the ground instead of floating as they should.
    Weapons are mostly in place but no ammo placement yet. Also most items are placed as intended for the first pass... CTF is still WIP code so the map plays weird but I managed to get a video up. No Download yet, Sorry!

As with my last effort, this is the first iteration of what may evolve over the coming weeks even if the core layout does not change much. The screenshots show the checkered texture right now so everyone can get a sense of scale from them. Ceilings are higher than in the DM/TDM map for example, due to the high arc of translocator throws.

http://youtu.be/cDfIvIIRGbo

I know this isn't much to go off until there's a download so I will get back to this as soon as I have the DM map to a comfortable place to leave it alone. Please, bear with me, I just wanted to get this out there for now :-).

Cheers

Hello all,

So this was actually the first map I started making when the game and development model was announced. Even before any gameplay code was checked in :-)
    It was put on hold to work on the DM map I've been focusing on but I decided to get back to it just to put down the initial ideas I had for it.
    It is meant as a simple "I" type CTF map, nothing complicated so it may not be suitable for competition play but I figured to get my feet wet with a simple pub stomper map.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jayoplus; 03-17-2015, 05:02 PM. Reason: Update
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

looks nice so far ;o

If you like it can be uploaded and tested in BU, once CTF is working again -.-

Comment

Yea, that would be awesome!
      I would be happy to get feedback when uploaded.
      I also hope to get the gravity volume issue sorted out before then (could use some help if anyone knows how to get it to work :-))
      MyArtstation
      @jayoplus

Comment

Download link available for first prototyped level layout. This is the first playable version of the map although a lot of stuff is still broken and is generally WIP.
        The route outside the map in the bottom should be low gravity but without gravity volumes, I haven't figured out how to make that work yet.
        Weapons are placed, but ammo placement is not yet done. Haven't really thought much about that part but I wanted to get the download out.

As always, any feedback is welcome as to layout, gameplay, items, etc etc.

Cheers.

PS, be careful when throwing translocators. They can be weird and although there are blocking volumes, the translocators can still go outside the map... :-)
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

Update 07/31/2014
          No DL update atm.
          I pretty much just wanted to share the current WIP state.
          -Refining the layout of the map with the different play areas.
          -Gave the map a working title name... Sort of fits the "space theme" and the idea I had for the map.
          One of the major updates I'm working on is making the map completely asymmetrical. The current version is asymmetrical but rotated, meaning the bases are still the same. But with the introduction of half-time and side switching, I figured I needed to make the map completely asymmetrical so that the bases are different that way when the sized switch folks actually feel the switch!
          Current WIP images... nothing special so far, lighting is very RAW!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	syzygy1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	353049Click image for larger version

Name:	syzygy2.JPG
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	353050
          MyArtstation
          @jayoplus

Comment

Update 08/05/2014

- Download link has been updated (file size is noticeably larger than previous map since this is more "complete"). Also feel free to follow updates on Github.
            - Layout overall is at a point where I feel most of the decisions work out well. Map is asymmetrical although the bases are the same layout (rotated)
            - Weapon and ammo placement available (feedback welcome)
            - The fastest route from flag to flag takes about 30s to cap (I'm sure this can be faster with more experienced players :-) )
            - The outside "space" route is largely hacked in since there are no gravity volumes. It works OK but may be broken... This will be updated in future versions :-)
            - The teleporter only work for translocators as shown in the video. For now it was made with a level BP, but hopefully this can be extended to a subclass of the current teleporter (working on this ATM)
            - Of course, everything is very WIP!
            - There may be a few more changes that I'm missing from the last version since most of these was done over the past several days.

** For some reason, playing the game in standalone mode did not compile the shaders for the glass windows so you can't see in the video the actual vista. This does not break the map from being playable, just wanted to point this out for those that may open the map in the editor and see something different than the video.**

Name:	c1DiHtz.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	329759

Name:	HdCp6Lj.jpg
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	329760

Name:	OeCOba3.jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	329761

Video:
            Last edited by jayoplus; 08-05-2014, 06:20 PM.
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

Comment

Loving the lighting! Side note: I'm really going to have to practice using the translocator...
              www.funrealtournament.com «« My maps
              www.smartapplerocks.com «« My music

Comment

Looking good! The upside-down health pickup was interesting.
                Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                  Loving the lighting! Side note: I'm really going to have to practice using the translocator...
                  Thanks Teddie.
                  Mostly lighting is very early WIP but it's in a decent direction to show where it's headed :-)

Originally posted by Nick_D'Amato View Post
                  Looking good! The upside-down health pickup was interesting.
                  Yea, that was sort of one way I could make that area work :-)
                  I thought it looked cool afterwards so I left it.

I just realized that there are actually a few areas that are probably still uber broken, so I'll fix these up as well as work on the low grav zones for the next update. As always, I'll incorporate any other bugs/feedback.
                  MyArtstation
                  @jayoplus

Comment

This map looks absolutely awesome, cant wait to play it!

Comment

Had 10 or 12 people on it for a short while tonight, about 4 bailed pretty quickly, and a few people were confused (me included) about the layout. might need more time, but at first glance it might seem a little too complicated.

at 230ms and using the xloc at all it makes it VERY hard to navigate, not really something you can fix, but high latency makes this map less fun because it removes the xloc. :P

Comment

Thanks rax.
                        I'll play around with the layout some more. If it's possible, can you clarify which areas are more complicated?
                        I'm thinking it may have to do with leaving the flag bases, since the areas around the mid are pretty straight forward.

The thing right now is that I'm not so sure how well to move things around without making the map "bigger" and I'm trying to avoid having scaling issues. It is also possible that the reason for the confusing layout is that I haven't done much to focus on visually guiding the players since I just wanted to get a good working layout.

Thanks again for the feedback :-)

More stuff to think about

Edit: I think I have some idea of parts that may be confusing in the layout... (I think I was doing a little too much)
                        Last edited by jayoplus; 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM.
                        MyArtstation
                        @jayoplus

Comment

So, I had a few extra hours today so I figured I'd go ahead and make some tweaks and updates.
                          So here is a new version:

- Replaced the default grid material with a stock shell metal material
                          - Added navigation arrows across the map to aid in layout (these will be subsequently removed)
                          - Moved the flag to a new location: I think this may be one of the reasons for the confusing layouts. The previous location of the flag I think made it appear that there were some routes that were not immediately visible. Hope this new location and layout tweaks help that.
                          - Tweaked the flag room layout to better provide cover for attackers.
                          - Increased the overall lighting brightness of the map.
                          - Replaced the BP low gravity zones with the UTCustomPhysics volume since that came online recently. Also finally got the layout for the outside space area done with the necessary Kill zones.

Well, no video since there was not much different from the previous video, but here are some new screens.

Name:	aTZ0DCC.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	329799

Name:	n1xKvp0.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	329800

Name:	W2JWx1e.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	329801

Download link has been updated.
                          Last edited by jayoplus; 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM.
                          MyArtstation
                          @jayoplus

Comment

hey jay,

i saw your post in "we need a serious ctf map" and i'd like you to elaborate what made you design it the way it is. what's your idea/plan?

Comment

Originally posted by duffte View Post
                              hey jay,

i saw your post in "we need a serious ctf map" and i'd like you to elaborate what made you design it the way it is. what's your idea/plan?
                              Hello duffte,
                              The map basically started as a straight up I layout with flags at each ends and my goal was to do a map with multiple entrances/exits with high and low routes leading up to the same middle area as a choke point. I also wanted a low gravity area as a direct path from one base to the other. I initially started it as under water but then decided to make it a "space themed" low gravity.

So as far as the layout goes, the map evolved to something like

Name:	lay.png
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	329839
                              Basic idea is:
                              1 - Route with most cover out of flag room
                              2 - Medium cover out of flag room
                              * Note that routes 1 and 2 make up the first route out of the base.
                              3 - Path through the outside "space area" even less cover since this is the most direct route out of base
                              4 - Middle route out of base with minimal cover
                              5 - Second side route out of base with medium/high cover.

- If you scrutinize the layout properly, there really are just two routes out of the bases into the middle and a third route that bypasses the middle altogether and links from base to base.
                              - I wanted to have a quick way to have players jump right into the action so I implemented the idea of being able to translocate to the middle of the map (similar to CTF-Chrome from UT2k4) and I thought this actually improved the fast pace action of the map.
                              - I also wanted a semi choke point in the flag bases again and it seemed to make sense to me to have it where the flag runners were most apt to going which was the routes with cover.

The area of the map that I am still currently dissatisfied with is the middle area and the overall map is still very much WIP. I have read the complaints of the map being too big and confusing, and I am finding this quite puzzling because the longest route from flag to flag if one just runs straight through paths takes about 40s (the shortest takes about 25-30s). I'm usually able to get to the enemy base with about 4-5 translocations if I use the teleporter and a little bit more if I don't.

I am worried about scaling the map down because this may influence translocator throws and also the possibility for hammer jumps if flag carriers choose to do them. As mentioned earlier though, the map is intended as fitting for a minimum 5v5 or 6v6 to a maximum of say 10v10 in public servers.

I am happy to take feedback to improve the maps but this was my initial thought process in designing the map layout. I hope this answers your question.
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X