X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Bleak[WIP] UT Port

Hey Guys,

Been working on porting over another CTF map today, decided on bleak

I had to create normal maps and figure out how specular maps work in UE, it's not great but it's something new i've learned -.- getting more used to UE4 every day

Thoughts???

Hey i really like the simple walls and colours are great, it really feels sporty and something ut4 should go for! The light is perfect and visually map looks great so far.
    But!(there is always a but)
    You decided to colour one side red and other blue, I think it will cause problems if epic decides that enemy should always be red, its something they discussed on stream when they had playtesters having a try in ut3.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
      Hey i really like the simple walls and colours are great, it really feels sporty and something ut4 should go for! The light is perfect and visually map looks great so far.
      But!(there is always a but)
      You decided to colour one side red and other blue, I think it will cause problems if epic decides that enemy should always be red, its something they discussed on stream when they had playtesters having a try in ut3.
      The map has to have side indicators. That has been the case in every UT. I doubt that there will ever be an "enemy always red" type of thing in the core game because of that.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
        The map has to have side indicators. That has been the case in every UT. I doubt that there will ever be an "enemy always red" type of thing in the core game because of that.
        Yeah I know, I am just wondering how epic will solve problem since I remember they said "enemy should always be red" or something.

Comment

It looks like they're playing with blue vs orange right now

I hate orange, plus most people like red vs blue

Even with all that said, if i had to choose a single team to play against all the time it would be blue - one of the keys to playing UT at a high level is just to be relaxed and the whole idea of red heightening your alertness is counter productive to that

The whole user experience is a nice thing for research but it's also kinda dodgy since there are a lot of things they can't really account for

Either way, any CTF map i texture isn't going to be orange lol, if i have to it'll be ****ing purple vs teal

Comment

I think the map looks amazing and at the same time doesn't distract the player.

Regarding the colors, UT always had red vs blue so, i don't really see the problem. Swapping colors because "red is considered the enemy" doesn't make much sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Hellgardia View Post
              I think the map looks amazing and at the same time doesn't distract the player.

Regarding the colors, UT always had red vs blue so, i don't really see the problem. Swapping colors because "red is considered the enemy" doesn't make much sense...
              I for one do not understand why this is a big issue. I have no problem to tell what team i am on, i don't know if the newer games (cod, battlefield ect.) created these problems or what.

Anyways i see you didn't test the lift jumps. I think you should test them because you might need to rescale it.
              History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
              UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
              UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                I for one do not understand why this is a big issue. I have no problem to tell what team i am on, i don't know if the newer games (cod, battlefield ect.) created these problems or what.

Anyways i see you didn't test the lift jumps. I think you should test them because you might need to rescale it.
                They're fine, maybe need toning down by a tiny amount

None of these screens show a lift jump, basically you can reach high on either side with the mid lifts and with the lift behind the flag you can jump into(bump your head) the roof of the base

It's hard to replicate the UT1 air speed in UT1, especially with the stock character, there's a trick you can do on this bleak which means you can lift jump behind the flag, hit the wall and crash straight down onto the flag stand, it's one of two ways to quickly get from the lift > flag and cap without the risk of being killed and dropping the flag

Very useful since bleak is well known for it's returns -.- even on the flagstand

Comment

The job is good, I like the textures of walls and floor. I don't like the map though, but who cares

Comment

Looks good.
                    Can you dodge up that slope to the next level?

Comment

I think slope dodging is still nerfed, so you can't do any right now -.-

But they should be easy to get up once Epic sorts out slope dodging, bleak is an example where the mapper has made slopes that look like they are there for just that

They could have made a tiny ramp, less than the player size and lined it up against the wall, would have done the same job - but they choose to put the ramps in this way instead...

Comment

Do ec2 next...
                        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

I was looking at EC2 as a possible port for IG, it's a bit tight for weapons

It would be 5000x better if i could use the terrain editor, plus keep the slope theme of the volcano in certain positions so you can still do the dodge tricks

It's a fairly simple map, been looking at grendle and azcanize too

Playtesting isn't 100% reliable at the moment so there's no point in doing loads of maps but i might do a quick port with simple textures and lighting, same as the ones i've done or less, should go faster now - i've spend a lot of time playing with the lighting and material effects when making these maps, learning the engine

I want to do some smaller maps ideally that can be played in DM or CTF, stuff like stalwart or control(lol)

Any ideas are welcome

Comment

CTF-Duku, CTF-w00t, CTF-2manjob, CTF-1on1 Joust, CTF-Command, CTF-Dreary, CTF-ThornsV2, CTF-Simplex, CTF-Bathrooms, CTF-Labaster, CTF-Klondlike, CTF-DDay, CTF-BrokenLimits, CTF-Bolt, CTF-BadNeighbors, DM-Curse, DM-Conveyor
                            UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                              CTF-Duku, CTF-w00t, CTF-2manjob, CTF-1on1 Joust, CTF-Command, CTF-Dreary, CTF-ThornsV2, CTF-Simplex, CTF-Bathrooms, CTF-Labaster, CTF-Klondlike, CTF-DDay, CTF-BrokenLimits, CTF-Bolt, CTF-BadNeighbors, DM-Curse, DM-Conveyor
                              Maybe i'll just do something small -.-
                              Last edited by tigerclaw; 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X