Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF/TDM-Atmos

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd start posting my work on a UT map I'm working on called Atmos, I'll try to post up here as much as I can.

The idea of Atmos came from playing maps like Phobos, Face and Deimos, I loved the idea of battling it out on arenas floating in space, It's not only visually amazing but can create some interesting gameplay mechanics such as gravity shifting.
    Now Atmos is designed as a homage to the maps I mentioned, by creating a new map with unique features of it's own but also borrowing ideas and concepts.

Map at a glance

Name: CTF-Atmos
    Themes: Industrial, atmospheric
    Requirements: Must stay true to the inspirations of Phobos, Face & Deimos while offering a fresh visual style but in keeping with Unreal.
    Purpose: Create an orbiting launch platform which has a high level of quality across all aspects: gameplay, visuals & sound.

Map Download
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../CTF-Atmos.pak
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FRAG; 05-03-2015, 06:13 AM.
    Tripmine Studios
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tripmine Studios | Operation Black Mesa | FRAG Twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FRAG Level Design | CTF-Atmos

Looks like it could be a fun map for sure and it appears you have put some thought into it. Can't wait to see the finished product. Just please, since it seems to be an issue with some orbital maps, make it so if I join in spectate mode that I am actually in the map and not trapped outside lol.

Comment

Yeah I'll make sure spectators don't get left out in the middle of nowhere, don't want you guys missing out on the action!
      Tripmine Studios

Comment

Been real busy lately so I've not had much of a chance to really work on this, but I got a spare hour today to do some more geometry work (and somehow break more assets :P )

I've added in lower walkways that connect the 4 main octagon platforms underneath (visually they will be maintenance walkways) the paths aren't very wide but can offer a quick path to get out of the firing line.
        I've also added in two cylinders on each main platform, I'll have high reward pickups at the top of these but I'm still working on how to access them, any thoughts of your own would be great.
        Also done some fleshing out of geometry and working with lighting, any feedback would be ideal, cheers!
        Tripmine Studios

Comment

From what I see in the pictures:

- The walk lines under the platforms are looking really thin. I would go with larger ones
          - Ramps could be a bit larger too
          - Would be cool if the two highest towers could be climbed with low gravity (like the ones on DM_Morpheus)
          - I would add more artificial lights in the lower parts of the map. It's really dark at the moment

Globally looks like a good start, but it's also kind of early to get the full picture. Please add a download link when you feel comfortable with your block layout to get more feedback
          RASTE IN PEACE !
          Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
          Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Raste!

I'll look at a block out download of the map sometime this weekend, I'm hopefully going to use this week to create a final base with lighting that I can iterate off based on feedback.
            I've taken what you've said into consideration, so here it is!

Here is an updated top down view, you can see that I've increased the walkways that line the map.

I've now housed the flag rooms, some temp lighting in place to indicate which team goes where.

I've increased the ramp sizes to the upper and lower level from each octo platform.

I've placed two ramps that will form support pillars for the structure (but still usable)

Lighting is still a tad dark here as it mostly relies on the master directional light.

Updated shot from one of the jump pads.

Improved lighting on the maintenance platforms and walkways.

And here are some full shots.

In regards to your low gravity idea, I actually discussed having an anti/low gravity barrier covering the map, the idea was that if a player was to use a jump pad, they would fly out of the maps normal gravity shield and have to face low gravity as a result, thus making them a target for trying to skip a section of the map, I could incorporate this into the towers too as I've just finished a prototype of the low gravity shield, I'll try to get a video together soon to showcase this.

Any feedback is welcome as always, and thanks for reading!
            Tripmine Studios

Comment

Originally posted by FRAG View Post
              Thanks for the feedback Raste!
              Anytime ! The map looks nice. Keep up, I want to play this in UT4 !
              RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

The top floors look a little flat right now, maybe some added cover would be nice. But then again can't truly say without testing. Over all though, its looking great. It has that old UT feel that has been missing from the past few, using anti-grav to jump from platform to platform. I was a a bit skeptical from your original design but this map is shaping up nicely. Keep it up!
                Joseph Frederick
                FoeJred@Gmail.com
                www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback ForJred, cover is indeed needed, so in order to gain some better feedback I'm releasing Atmos in it's current state.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ctf_atmos.umap

I'm looking more at geometry refinement and addition at the moment, I'll tackle lighting once all geometry is in place, we might have the odd tweak later but I like to have a solid map to do a lighting pass on.

Also, jump pads are just there, if you use them, you risk nearly killing yourself, the choice is yours :P
                  Tripmine Studios

Comment

I'm looking more at geometry refinement and addition at the moment.
                    Maybe something a bit like this ? Maybe this can inspire you (I hope) ^^

Credits: Nicolas "Sparth" Bouvier
                    Attached Files
                    RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Great image, I sort of had this in my head but this is fantastic, the concept would fit great with the static meshes released by thatscrawnyki.

Hoping I finish early at the day job tomorrow so I can hopefully work more on atmos, many thanks Raste!
                      Tripmine Studios

Comment

Great image, I sort of had this in my head but this is fantastic, the concept would fit great with the static meshes released by thatscrawnyki.

Hoping I finish early at the day job tomorrow so I can hopefully work more on atmos, many thanks Raste!
                        You're welcome !

I would suggest you already model with BSPs the general aspect of the level (without going into too many details) as this can alter the feedback you will get from the people play-testing your level. In this concept art for example you have these rounded sort of command posts. Maybe you can try to add these kinds of shapes into your level as it increases the space you can play in and brings maybe new opportunities for trick jumps or item placements. Also that little hallway on the left of the picture looks sick ! Would love to see that kind of architecture in maps.

My best advice would be to listen to Forgone Destruction while watching this concept art. I'm sure you will be able to day-dream your level, mentally move around in it and get many great ideas ! That's what I do usually
                        RASTE IN PEACE !

Comment

Yeah I forget that BSP is a bit more flexible in UE, having worked in source for a few years I've grown to hate it haha.

Alright, my heads already bursting with ideas from looking at this concept piece, I'll be back tomorrow with an update from what I'm taking away from this!
                          Tripmine Studios

Comment

Quick update, started feeding from the concept art and have begun work on tweaking with the geometry!

Hopefully have a bigger chunk next time, only got a quick hour to work after I got home!

EDIT

Also updated the map download link!
                            Last edited by FRAG; 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM.
                            Tripmine Studios

Comment

Very nice work FRAG.
                              I've only run around for a few minutes but good progress. I will try to run around some more and provide more feedback soon
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X