• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Lab

================
    Wip 5 Pak!
    ================

I've been playing around with a few ideas and I wanted to set up a thread to collate and discuss them.

Current plan is to focus on the transition between interior and exterior space, and to play around with this transition space. I would really like to avoid having a main central space and instead use overlapping paths to create a fluid experience. Anyway here are some really rough notes. More to come soon hopefully!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM.

Been working on a little bit of internal flow. Red for 1st floor, Green for 2nd, and Blue for 3rd. The purple areas denote major height variations and points of interest. From this I'll start building up some actual space.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Your concept workflow is quite interesting, can't wait to see more!
      Joseph Frederick
      FoeJred@Gmail.com
      www.FoeJred.com

Comment

First pass of the layout. There's a lot here I'm not happy with but it's a start. Will need a lot of testing to get right.

Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Looks interesting. Maybe the rooms are a bit too narrow no ? I mean with a rocket launcher the corridors are boring action as you can only shoot in the same direction as the corridors go. I like that you have wholes in the ground of the first floor. Nice to give a peak at the bottom floor.

Keep up
          RASTE IN PEACE !
          Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
          Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by Raste View Post
            Maybe the rooms are a bit too narrow no ?
            Yeah, I need to open it up a bit, especially the 1st floor bottom right. I may end up extending it back and linking it up with the 2nd floor. Maybe make that cross just under the 1st floor bridge a proper room.

Comment

Definitely feels too hallway-based, especially the top floors. The pencil drawings look very cute but I think you should start to think about the item & powerup layout on top of that. That should help you know where to add more breathing space, and where to add more paths and z-axis spots.

If I'm understanding the drawings from the last post correctly, I also have the feel that everything is happening in the inside and there is very little interaction between the indoor and outdoor zones, which was your main idea and what can make your level stand out from other ones... I would completely remove the bottom right area and keep most of the gameplay around the borderline between the inside and the outside. There's a lot of potential in making lines of sight to cover outdoor powerups from the inside, indoor places which can be shomboed from the outside... etc.

Best of luck!
              Last edited by TheGlecter; 08-15-2014, 08:11 AM.
              DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
              My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
              My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

I have to admit this has been feeling like a dud since I started the sketches, I've been increasingly tempted to scrap it and go back to the initial idea. As you said I've not actually focused on the core ideas and, you know, actual UT gameplay.

Anyway, back to the drawing board!

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

I think you got a good start going and people brought up some valid concerns (narrowness etc) but I'd give you the same advice I gave Raste in his thread - At some point you'll be better served to simply start building and trying things. Maybe it would help you to get one central idea narrowed down and sketched out and then let it grow organically from there in the editor. If you're not happy with any of it on paper that is perfectly fine of course, but don't let trying to plan the whole thing from the get-go allow you to get too frustrated.

Keep it up!

Comment

Thanks for taking a look. So far this map has felt really forced, just not happy with it. I'd normally take it into the editor at this stage but it's just not speaking to me. It's all too structured and tight with no real flow to it.

But as you said, a lot of development comes from building and testing. I'll take another crack at the sketches and see what comes out.

Thanks again

Comment

Im by no means anything special when it comes to building maps but one thing I have learned is that everyone builds maps in there own processes. For me I cant draw and plan all that well, so I generally just start building and see where it takes me. I end up removing and adding things over and over and rebuilding hundreds of times trying to get things just right. But if I dont start building something, ill never settle on an idea. Anyways good luck with the build, I cant wait to see how it turns out. The outside and inside space should be pretty interesting.
                      PayBack

Comment

Agreed.

I followed Clawfist's advice and dived into the editor. The simple fact that you can see and move in your level gives you plenty of new ideas. If I were you I would start blocking your layout and then:

test it -> compare it -> improve it

until you are happy with it.
                        RASTE IN PEACE !
                        Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                        Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Wip 2
                          Editor Version Download

Video coming soon.

Comment

Cool How long did it take?

Comment